Beginners and Beyond

Recovery MonDAILIES! (Read 42 times)

DavePNW

1 minute after the question was posted. I'm pretty sure you can not get better than that, even with a paid coaching service.

It was the answer I was hoping for anyway. That 6x1 on Saturday beat me up pretty well, and I could use an extra rest day.

Dave

Cyberic

I did a speed session today. Not much time, so only 8 x 200-250m (I was manually pressing lap button). But I was going fast (for me). In the 7th, my friend took off before me, and I wanted to catch up with him, and that gave a 240m at 4:43 pace (per Garmin).

Baboon

delicate flower

It was the answer I was hoping for anyway. That 6x1 on Saturday beat me up pretty well, and I could use an extra rest day.

My non-sarcastic answer would have been "Does it really matter?"  3 or 4 days before the 5K would allow for plenty of rest leading up to it.  Personally I'd do it Tuesday just to have one more easy day before the race, but then again WTF do I know.

<3

oldfartrunner

Got my hilly 8 in. 8.11 @ 9:47, 1,060' gain. This trail was harder and had more loose material on it, and my feet and ankles are feeling it!  Had to use a lot of lateral movement to pick the best path, and "grandpa" gear up sections of the hills.

Dave: I guess it's pretty well a consensus on Wed. Smile IMO, 4 days In between  is too long for the last speed session before any race and you can lose your edge-esp. us older runners. 3 days is perfect, although some people like 2 days too, but two days can still leave residual fatigue unless you stepped down the workload more the session before, and don't do more than 1.5 miles worth.

I agree with Jay on doing race pace or slightly below work as the last tune up too. I'd cap it @ 2 miles worth on V02 Max, and nothing longer than 800s. Sustained longer work will reach too deep into your legs, which you are trying to let rest up. Only for a Half would I do cruise intervals of 3X1 mile, and a sustained 4 miles of MP for the marathon.

CY: Nice work!

DavePNW

My non-sarcastic answer would have been "Does it really matter?"  3 or 4 days before the 5K would allow for plenty of rest leading up to it.  Personally I'd do it Tuesday just to have one more easy day before the race, but then again WTF do I know.

Probably not that much, just seeing if there was any kind of consensus. Tuesday means 2 easy days between last workout & this one, 4 easy days before race. Wed is 3 & 3. I might have leaned towards Tuesday if the last workout wasn't so hard.

Anyway, looking at:

2x800 @ 5k, 2.5 min rec

4x400 @ <5k, 1.5 min rec

2x200 @something fastish, 200 rec

Should get the heart pumping but not hurt too badly.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It was a cool 85F and 72 dewpoint so I headed outside for my 5.  It felt nice.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

1.5 mile playing with the GPS and then footpod on my Garmin on the road by my house. The deer were not amused by my running up and down the road by their dinner table. Then tried to footpod on the mill and it said I was barely at a slow stroll and I said FTS. I hope we get no snow this winter and I'll just run outside.

oldfartrunner

1.5 mile playing with the GPS and then footpod on my Garmin on the road by my house. The deer were not amused by my running up and down the road by their dinner table. Then tried to footpod on the mill and it said I was barely at a slow stroll and I said FTS. I hope we get no snow this winter and I'll just run outside.

Just watch the deer mating call noises.

Image result for deer watching people run cartoons

oldfartrunner

Glad you could get out Damaris!   I got my 5 in too. Felt snappy for some reason?  Maybe I was channeling Baboon?

No more marathons

Decided to just do a walk yesterday, but wanted to do it as a workout (of sorts).

First mile was about 13 minutes, and the second mile was about 12 minutes.

Today I noticed soreness in places that I hadn't had recently (a pain in the ass if you really want to know). Smile

Today was another good 4 miles after work at a (for me) good pace.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!