Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 35 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Maybe you can find something else to suit your fancy here ($40 running shoe sale at JackRabbit)

I went to what is now our only LRS, got fitted in some Mizuno Wave Inspires.... gonna give these a try.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

sdWhiskers

I went to what is now our only LRS, got fitted in some Mizuno Wave Inspires.... gonna give these a try.

For your marathon this weekend??

DavePNW

I'll take a peek at 50+ AG results sometimes and it gets noticeably easier for running

No doubt on average. Like any race, it all depends who shows up. My first race after turning 50, I would've placed higher in the 45-49 group. 

I hit 55 next spring, that's gotta help. Although I think I mentioned a local guy in that category I run into, who just ran a 2:54 at NYC.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

For your marathon this weekend??

I'm going to try them for an easy 3 miler today, before picking my son up from school and if things go well I'll try for another easy 3 tomorrow morning. If no pain or anything, I'll take them with me but I'll also have my new Richocets with me as well, in case I become doubtful and decide to go with those.

The guy explained to me what they changed about the Ravennas, it had something to do with the support system part, can't remember if he called it a platform or something else but it's on the inside towards the back of the shoe. These Mizunos have a very similar build as the Ravennas used to, and have a narrow arch area, my feet or kind of narrow, especially around the arches.

I wish I had gone to the LRS weeks ago, damn my stubborn ass.... 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

I'll take a peek at 50+ AG results sometimes and it gets noticeably easier for running, but not a bit easier in triathlons.  Mostly it's that bike fitness...it only seems to get stronger with age.

That's weird from my noob point of view. Why do we get slower at running with age, but get better at cycling? We're talking about people who train, of course. I don't see it. Maybe because they say FTS with running, cycling is more fun, so they ride more?

RunningOnSand

That's weird from my noob point of view. Why do we get slower at running with age, but get better at cycling? We're talking about people who train, of course. I don't see it. Maybe because they say FTS with running, cycling is more fun, so the ride more?

Maybe it's because of our joints and the impact of running. That's the thing that comes to my mind.

Also interesting, is that women tend to peak in their 30s, with men tending to peak in their 20s (for running).

Cyberic

Shoes: I'm looking at the NB FuelCell Rebels. Lightweight, springy foam, marathon racing shoes, I would think (have yet to try them). The also come in wide. Oh, I realize by mentioning wide that I've said this before in the dailies. Ok then. Whatever.

Cyberic

Maybe it's because of our joints and the impact of running. That's the thing that comes to my mind.

Maybe... but from a guy who's turning 50 in two months, my joints have never been better. And I do run.

DavePNW

Also interesting, is that women tend to peak in their 30s, with men tending to peak in their 20s (for running).

That is interesting, I did not know. But my perception has also been that the decline with advancing age is earlier/sharper for women. IDK if that's correct, I could swear I read something sciency to that effect.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

I think that is exactly what it is.  My coach for example, in his running prime, he was a 2:30 marathon/16:00 5K guy and won a shitload of races.  Now in his mid-50's, he runs a 9:00 pace on his best race days.  He absolutely kills the bike though. 

<3

DavePNW

Maybe... but from a guy who's turning 50 in two months, my joints have never been better. And I do run.

I don't think you ran when you were younger - am I remembering correctly? I tend to give my late-life start credit for avoiding the decades of wear & tear that people my age who've been running since high school may have experienced.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Your engine doesn't have the lifetime mileage on it though.  I think that is where guys like us who picked up running later in life have a little advantage as we get older.

<3

Cyberic

That is interesting, I did not know. But my perception has also been that the decline with advancing age is earlier/sharper for women. IDK if that's correct, I could swear I read something sciency to that effect.

Reading this book right now

Contrary to all running books I've read, it does not have training tips, and plans. It's all mathematics. Observations, and the mathematical formulas to modelize it. Or the other way around: physics formulas, and explaining results by those formulas.

I'm saying this because they have chapters with percentage of decline with age for men, and women. I don't remember all of it, but it's all in there.

Cyberic

DaveP and Baboon, yes I've started running at 42. I agree it looks like it's total mileage that affects the joints, and not age per se.

DavePNW

I actually don't really like reading books about running.  I figure I spend enough of my life doing it; when I'm not, I'd rather read about other things.

Dave