Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES: The eatin' season is near (Read 41 times)

LRB

I don't work directly with kids, but work in a special needs school. The large majority of our staff is under 30. All are amazing with kids. Finding bus staff is a huge challenge; these are very part time positions with fairly low pay.

Yep, age restrictions/requirements are great for insurance and rental car companies, but are completely impractical in the real world. Ideally, even the teachers would be much older than they are but that's completely unrealistic.

Here is Michigan, we have a shortage of personnel in the trades unlike anytime in our history. These are jobs that start out at $20 -  25 an hour and top out at $35 if you prove you're worth it. Trouble is, not many show up and those that do are usually utterly worthless. Anyway, that has nothing to do with anything, I just have a hard time with it because I had to work my ass off back in the day to get half of that, whereas these days, all these fucks have to do is show up to get twice that amount and they won't even do that! Lazy fucking bastards, hmph!

MTA: Not everyone falls under that category (I always try to avoid painting with a broad brush), but way too many do.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't work directly with kids, but work in a special needs school. The large majority of our staff is under 30. All are amazing with kids. Finding bus staff is a huge challenge; these are very part time positions with fairly low pay.

Dealing with kids in a classroom and kids on a bus are two totally different situations, and two different types of stress.

24 years old is too damn young to be driving 30 kids around, especially 24 year olds these days .

And with that attitude, more incidents like this will happen, my child is not some piece of cargo, and as long as school systems hire people like fast food places hire people, there is no way he will ever ride a bus.

When it comes to children, there shouldn't be any no give a shit, take what we can get, whoever applies bullshit mentality . These aren't inanimate objects, they're boys and girls.

And actually when it comes to today'so world, I will paint with a broad brush on people between 13-24, they aren't like kids back 25 years ago, not even 10 years ago. And there are studies that our impulse controls don't fully mature until 25, you know....those split second stupid decisions we make and then most times regret forever..... that's  why car insurance for drivers under 25 is so much higher.

But even so, like I said, speaking as a mother who is extremely protective, this is horse shit. Bus drivers, babysitters and daycare staff should be vetted and their backgrounds taken seriously.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Half Crazy K 2.0

There was a fatal school bus crash in MD a few weeks ago. No kids were on the bus at the time but 6 people died, 5 on the commuter bus that the school bus plowed into head on. The driver was in his 60s. Unfortunately age does not prevent these sort of things.

From the Internet.

Dealing with kids in a classroom and kids on a bus are two totally different situations, and two different types of stress.

24 years old is too damn young to be driving 30 kids around, especially 24 year olds these days .

And with that attitude, more incidents like this will happen, my child is not some piece of cargo, and as long as school systems hire people like fast food places hire people, there is no way he will ever ride a bus.

When it comes to children, there shouldn't be any no give a shit, take what we can get, whoever applies bullshit mentality . These aren't inanimate objects, they're boys and girls.

And actually when it comes to today'so world, I will paint with a broad brush on people between 13-24, they aren't like kids back 25 years ago, not even 10 years ago. And there are studies that our impulse controls don't fully mature until 25, you know....those split second stupid decisions we make and then most times regret forever..... that's  why car insurance for drivers under 25 is so much higher.

But even so, like I said, speaking as a mother who is extremely protective, this is horse shit. Bus drivers, babysitters and daycare staff should be vetted and their backgrounds taken seriously.

Eh. I take issue with the "kids these days" mentality. Since time immemorial, the previous generation has been "the worst ever". We just hear more about the bad shit now with Internet and social media.

Those things take money, and as long as there are people in political power who want to slash public education budgets, corners will be cut. That's why I live where I do. We pay out the nose for taxes but our school system is very well-funded. We live half a mile from my daughter's elementary school so no bus needed for us at this stage in her life anyway.

LRB

There are "adults" who act 13 years old, which in some cases is an insult to 13 year olds. But whatever, broad brush painting as applied to groups is as old as time. It suits the majority mostly because it's convenient, not necessarily because it's an effective vetting tool. But if it suits you, great. My point was simply that age restrictions/requirements while a novel idea, is not always practical.  

Half Crazy K 2.0

There are "adults" who act 13 years old, which in some cases is an insult to 13 year olds. But whatever, broad brush painting as applied to groups is as old as time. It suits the majority mostly because it's convenient, not necessarily because it's an effective vetting tool. But if it suits you, great. My point was simply that age restrictions/requirements while a novel idea, is not always practical.  

Can't speak for all states, but there are age requirements (21+) for a CDL in Maryland. I assume school bus drivers also need to be fingerprinted like other staff.

Cyberic

6 x (2 min On w/90s Off)
                + 5:30 min jog
                + 5 min Hard

8 miles total.

DavePNW

Driving your own kid to school is still on average more dangerous than having him take the bus. Shit happens.

Dave

Cyberic

Good morning!

I love eating season.

I ran 4 miles.  It was hard and enjoyable at the same time.  This is a weird thing we do.

Have a great day folks!

Whenever I read or scroll by one of your posts, I think about beer.

Cyberic

Eh. I take issue with the "kids these days" mentality. Since time immemorial, the previous generation has been "the worst ever". We just hear more about the bad shit now with Internet and social media.

I soooo agree with you. When I was 20, I was just as bad as today's 20 year olds. It takes millions of years for humans to change. Ok, maybe thousands. Yes, younger people are more often than not more reckless than they will be once they get older. They are also quicker minded, more open to innovation. It's always been like that, and always will.

Half Crazy K 2.0

3.6 slow, dark miles.

+1 Dave P. Although on the news, an interview with one of the parents made it sounds like the driver may have been a whack job. But that can happen at any age.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Whenever I read or scroll by one of your posts, I think about beer.

That is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.  Thank you, sir.  I have a tear.

Runner with a riding problem.

LRB

That is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.  Thank you, sir.  I have a tear.

That is quite the compliment. lol

delicate flower

4.  It's cold out.

<3

onemile

I ran 6