Beginners and Beyond

RR - Victoria, BC Marathon 10/9/16 - Spoiler alert: BQ, baby! (Read 46 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on the PR and a super consistent race. That sounds like quite the adventure to get there--do you get the fun of searching for races within 100 miles and wind up with bunches across the multiple bodies of water? That tops the Chesapeake Bay for travel logistics.

ohanapecosh

Congrats on the great race!  I enjoyed reading your report.

DavePNW

That sounds like quite the adventure to get there--do you get the fun of searching for races within 100 miles and wind up with bunches across the multiple bodies of water? That tops the Chesapeake Bay for travel logistics.

It happens. My go-to site is findmymarathon.com; it told me Victoria was 66 miles away. 

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Heck yes!! I always knew you had a BQ in there somewhere! Now you get to meet up with Baboon. Smile I hate running with kilometers instead of miles, it always screws with my pacing, but you were so dialed in it made absolutely no difference. To run that thing on feel is a work of art! Congrats!

From the Internet.

(3) proximity - about 90 miles as the crow flies. But I'm not a crow, and there's a lot of water in between. There's really no good way to get there without springing for a flight. Ended up with a 30 min drive, 30 min ferry ride , 80 min drive, and another 90 min ferry ride. If you time the ferry schedules right, it's maybe 5 hours; ended up taking about 7. 

That's like some Oregon Trail levels of race travel! Good think you didn't lose your oxen while you were fording the river or die of dysentery! :P

Impressive execution, those splits are great! Congrats on the BQ, so happy for you! Big grin

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Great job Dave!!!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on the BQ and the PR!  Way to run!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Ric-G

congrats dave!

a well run marathon is definitely a test in energy management. your splits proved you nailed it. congrats on the bq. excellent work.

marathon pr - 3:16

B-Plus

Awesome Dave! Great splits

LRB

Ha, I do say that a lot. I still feel like a n00b. But maybe have a tiny bit more cred.

With the mileage you run and experience you're amassing, you have a little more than a tiny bit!

Speaking of that, how did this cycle look mileage-wise compared to last spring and last fall? It seemed in the dailies that you completely clobbered your MLRs from those cycles, while keeping a hefty dose of mileage as well.

DavePNW

With the mileage you run and experience you're amassing, you have a little more than a tiny bit!

Speaking of that, how did this cycle look mileage-wise compared to last spring and last fall? It seemed in the dailies that you completely clobbered your MLRs from those cycles, while keeping a hefty dose of mileage as well.

Based on average of 8 weeks before taper, mpw:

Fall 2016 = 64

Spring 2016 = 64

Similar mileage over the 8 weeks, although went from 18 to 12 week plan. I'd have to do more research but I could swear my MLR paces in the spring were faster. I thought that was a better cycle overall.

For further reference:

Fall 2015 = 65.5

Fall 2014 = 67.5

Run less, run faster!

Dave

Cyberic

Based on average of 8 weeks before taper, mpw:

Fall 2016 = 64

Spring 2016 = 64

Similar mileage over the 8 weeks, although went from 18 to 12 week plan. I'd have to do more research but I could swear my MLR paces in the spring were faster. I thought that was a better cycle overall.

For further reference:

Fall 2015 = 65.5

Fall 2014 = 67.5

Run less, run faster!

I don't know how one would do on 30 MPW, running 4 days a week, 3 x 5 miles days of intervals or tempo, and a 15 miles a quality long run (with MP miles, or fast finish or whatever). Only quality runs. Recovery (3 days / week off). Didn't Toronto train that way or in a similar way?

Zelanie

You really put on a clinic out there.  So consistent for the entire race, and the pick up at the end was awesome!  Don't discount the BQ- you're not in control of how many other people meet the standard in any give year, you met the standard and deserve the credit for that!

Plus you put in some awesome training with all the flights and whatnot that you had to contend with.

Do you think a 12 week cycle works better when running 2 marathons a year?  It's not like you need to the time to build up from lower mileage.

DavePNW

Do you think a 12 week cycle works better when running 2 marathons a year?  It's not like you need to the time to build up from lower mileage.

Well I don't know if it works better, but it was definitely preferable. Especially this time around, when the spacing was only about 5 months. With 18 weeks, there'd be basically a couple weeks to recover then back into it. I was glad to have a little extra time to fart around at 40-50 mpw and do some other races without having to worry about MRT. I wasn't too concerned about the plan being too short because it's not like I'd been sitting around on my ass till then.

Dave

Zelanie

That's what I was thinking. The recovery might have been just what you needed in between.