Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos:Smithson Valley High Watermelon 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more!

BEFORE THE START

My 39th race of 2016 was the 'Melon Run 16 5K held at Smithson Valley High School in Spring Branch, Texas, a short drive from where I live.  This event supported the running teams at Smithson Valley High School.  Arrived on site with about an hour to go to start time and began taking some pre-start photos

I have arrived! 

photo 015_zpsiyuq3shm.jpg

Welcome to Smithson Valley High School stadium

photo 002_zpswss8yje9.jpg

Our course set-up and timing folks from Athlete Guild, who are father and son.

photo 001_zpsukfb7ydz.jpg

Color Guard in wait for the National Anthem

photo 004_zps5wqiyczo.jpg

Race Day Registration volunteers

photo 006_zps7tyanzbn.jpg

Race Director Brittney and one of the high school runners.

photo 007_zpsdaujhtyf.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, etc

photo 008_zpsuhglozi2.jpg

photo 009_zpsigfqa9rk.jpg

photo 010_zpsmojgkoqn.jpg

photo 011_zpsyl2q8txc.jpg

photo 012_zpsharu58a3.jpg

Getting the watermelon slices ready for post-race....all you can eat watermelon after the event.

photo 013_zpscukxd2fd.jpg

photo 014_zps4alvqnaw.jpg

Our Music Man

photo 016_zpsbqxfbr79.jpg

photo 017_zpstj9mufjl.jpg

I think this is her little brother.  She told me son;  yeah, okay...they don't look that far apart in age.. 

photo 018_zpsr5svhfpw.jpg

photo 019_zpsch1hgwvi.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We began with a 'x-country start" by running down the football field, one end to the other, and then it was out one of the gates near th track and onto paved areas around the high school, with a couple of off-road parts on the course including - as I told my friend Karen, when she asked if there were any hills - just this 'wee bit of a hill, off-road (1st photo below)" and I also had told her that was the only one  (I lied; there were 3, lol).  We made a loop on-road and off-road around the campus, finishing back up at the stadium.

photo 020_zpsvlsjsryq.jpg

photo 021_zps2e3ysxss.jpg

photo 022_zpsyucpqde5.jpg

photo 023_zpstbn0wjwx.jpg

photo 024_zpsddccei6r.jpg

photo 025_zps6olmic4g.jpg

back onto paved ground...you can see n the background some folks still on the hill on the off-road trail at the top of the photo

photo 026_zpsjk2wn4r5.jpg

photo 027_zpsdmqqh8j6.jpg

photo 028_zpshexo8v9p.jpg

photo 029_zpsy3mo0gh0.jpg

photo 030_zpsbjyo40jv.jpg

photo 031_zpsnsbpo8zm.jpg

A little under a mile to go from where I saw this course volunteer

photo 032_zpsvs6nh9zc.jpg

After that, it was back to the finish nonstop.  I really thought I was going to finish in 35 - 37 minutes, but I surprised myself, finishing in 33:52, good enough for 1st in my age group....there were actually only TWO in my age group, lol.

After a cool-down walk and getting some water inside me, it was off to take post-race photos.

AFTER THE FINISH

photo 033_zpsq9mxtxq6.jpg

photo 034_zps5rxjm0w5.jpg

photo 035_zpsl2jdkraa.jpg

The other guy in my age group - and we are both survivors.

photo 036_zpsk4uq9xwz.jpg

I thought this was funny, when I asked someone to take this photo of us....we got 3 pairs of Great Legs! 

photo 037_zpssp5ubst0.jpg

And here we are!  Me, my fellow age group guy, and the lovely RD, Brittney

photo 038_zpsmhwbchpv.jpg

I just seem to have a knack for finding the pretty ladies and making myself look good..  

photo 039_zpsj5jaqqtu.jpg

photo 040_zpshz6ou2m7.jpg

photo 041_zpsgnhaysoo.jpg

The lovely X-country coach (I think that's who she is) and some of her team

photo 042_zpsaxvzsjge.jpg

photo 043_zps0elvs5yp.jpg

Me and my friend Karen post-race....she survived the hills...

photo 044_zpsrsp4nzdx.jpg

photo 045_zpsiehgnc2j.jpg

1st in Senior Men division and the award was a watermelon (I am one of the few people who actually don't like watermelon, so ultimately one of the younger kids go to take it home)

photo 046_zpsyk4ht9pj.jpg

Yet another 'brother-sister' team.. 

photo 047_zpsef857otp.jpg

photo 048_zpsgjbp3jb0.jpg

photo 049_zpsdfpkcvgt.jpg

photo 050_zpsdfxail5g.jpg

That is one tall kid...so tall, he had a 'halo of light ' around his head...

photo 051_zps4t87ka3y.jpg

Brittney and her team of runners.

photo 052_zpsx0epoc33.jpg

EPILOG

WHAT A NICE EVENT!!  This is the 4th time this event has been done and I think I've done 2 of them...maybe 3...hey, I'm old, my memory ain't what it used to be.     One of the friendliest events ever, really nice people all over the place, both running with on the course and chatting with before-and-after.  Class act Race Director in Brittney, an attractive lady with personality to match.  Very well organized and efficient event, with a nice course - a bit challenging in places, lol, but that's okay;  very unique 'watermelon awards, so you can get your award and then eat it, lol; and a post-race raffle with some nice door prizes too, like a gift certificate to iRun Texas and a really nice coupon - I think it was around $100, maybe more - to a local store, and so forth.  I won NADA in the raffle...mainly because I was helping with the raffle, lol, along with Karen. per Brittney's request - we called out random bib numbers on Brittney's prompt and then she gave the prizes away.  All fun and good times, very enjoyable.  Definitely will keep this event on my race calendar in the future!

Mucho thanks to the folks at Smithson Valley High for their hosting hospitality and organizing the event; and much thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, etc., all the people who make this one happen each year for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt