Beginners and Beyond

Should a 5k in March have a water aid station? (Read 193 times)

Should it have one? Yes.

By not having one, the people who would have wanted water will complain.

The bad asses (who know better than to lose any time for water in a 5K) will not care that there was a water station that they did not use.

Love the Half

In this day and age, many of the runners we see at events have never run before in their life, they just show up and think that they can do it.

Yes, 5k's should have aid stations.  To not have them would be borderline criminal considering the shape that some of the people are in who sign up for these things.

The question of whether one needs water during a 5k is a whole 'nother topic.

A bit of hyperbole?  How is it "borderline criminal?"  With what violation could someone be charged?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

Does anyone need water for a 3 mile race.  Hell no.  I ran one at Fort Dix near the 4th of July.  It was 90+ degrees, full sun, on pavement and there were no aid stations.  No one died (although it was flippin' miserable).  It's just too short of a distance for there to be any real risk.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Sloooow.

I have no real opinion on "should", but I was certainly glad for a water station at my last 5K. It was the first time I have ever taken water during a run. The temperature was only 78, but the sun was brutal (I'm not heat tolerant in the slightest). I wasn't thirsty, but the cold water helped the dizziness, lol.

Otherwise, I usually see water stations as a nice opportunity to pass people Smile

LRB

A bit of hyperbole?  How is it "borderline criminal?"  With what violation could someone be charged?

You're funny, my comments were not meant to be taken literally, but no harm is done to anyone having aid stations at 5k's.  The faster more experienced runners are long gone by the time most people use them, so they shouldn't care what others are doing...unless they are pompous running snobs.  Wait, what?  ; )

I do not take water during 5k's, but I am at another place in terms of running, and do not expect someone who not only is new to running, but new to fitness to do what I do, how I do it.

Now if we are talking a sanctioned race by a running club where the runners are experienced, well that might be a different story.  But even those may have aid stations for runners with side stitches.

happylily

You're funny, my comments were not meant to be taken literally, but no harm is done to anyone having aid stations at 5k's.  The faster more experienced runners are long gone by the time most people use them, so they shouldn't care what others are doing...unless they are pompous running snobs.  Wait, what?  ; )

I do not take water during 5k's, but I am at another place in terms of running, and do not expect someone who not only is new to running, but new to fitness to do what I do, how I do it.

Now if we are talking a sanctioned race by a running club where the runners are experienced, well that might be a different story.  But even those may have aid stations for runners with side stitches.

LOL...

+100

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

catwhoorg

Labrat

I would expect there to be an aid station part way and water available at the end.

I would be unlikely to use the on course water myself, but I do expect to see it there.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Village people

Yes.

There is this popular program called Couch to 5km and I imagine this type of race would attract many of these people. Some of them might not need water, but I am sure some would. It would be nice to have a water stop.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

As long as they advertise it in advance it shouldn't matter.

Personally I don't drink anything for 5 and 10Ks, maybe in a 10-miler.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Baboon

delicate flower

A lot of runners sort of expect a water station, so of course it should be there.  I know it's hard to believe, but a lot of new, low mileage runners do these 5K-type marathon races and need the water, if not for physical reasons than for psychological ones.  I'd rather have it and not need it.  I personally won't take water for anything shorter than a HM.

<3

I say this- I am a noob still and not a real runner yet.

I would totally expect A race to have water somewhere on the course. Heck 6 months ago I was taking dates (fuel) with me if I was going 4 miles or more. 6 or more I was going to carry a camel back.

Us rookies expect to be taken care of and 3.1 miles can be a long fu€#ing way for some of us.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think the RD has to go by perceptions and expectations. Both the vast majority of runners who enter races waterstops are expected regardless of distance. The possible exception might be road miles. They expect it and the race will be criticized by people who don't know any better if a waterstop isn't provided. We've been inundated by warnings about the dangers of dehydration and brainwashed into thinking we need to guzzle water at every waterstop. The perception is that waterstops are a necessity. I doubt they are actually needed for races lasting under an hour. Walkers will take that long for a 5K, so at least in races from mid-Spring to mid-Fall with the possibility of warm weather, water should be provided. You Florida runners are allowed water at 5Ks any time during the year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

We have at least one water stop at all our 5Ks done down here.  Of course, we are in Texas, and the humidity down here gets crazy all year round.  Yesterday our temp reached 95 degrees, sheesh!   At 8 a.m. in the morning - the start time for the majority of our races - the temp was already in the 70s.

Our 5Ks are usually for both runners and walkers.  We often have a lot of elderly and slower people at our events who are out on the course for a while, so it is good for the water stop to be there for those that need it, IMHO.   I'm sure the faster folks will not need it at all, but the slower folks sure do appreciate it being out there.    The opinion of our RDs and race organizers down here is better to have it than not,  just in case.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Taking a water cup hand off makes you feel like you were in a race.  Give the people what they want.

**Ask me about streaking**

Does anyone need water for a 3 mile race.  Hell no.  I ran one at Fort Dix near the 4th of July.  It was 90+ degrees, full sun, on pavement and there were no aid stations.  No one died (although it was flippin' miserable).  It's just too short of a distance for there to be any real risk.

---A couple quick points to thlnk about:

1)  There IS a risk to new runners.  Most of Fort Dix where you are at are military runners.  Same for me and our military races at NAS Oceana, VA.  But we do have water stations.  There are dependent family members "off the couch" for the first time out there taking 50+ minutes to do it, and they can use water.

2)  The act of a professional runner who sees water stations at a 5K and says "Who the heck needs a water station for a 5K, that's ridiculous!"... That can be extremely counterproductive.

Let's all remember that just because a 5K is now eeeeasy distance for many of us, if we get out there and selfishly say "No one should need a water table at a 5K"...  That can be demoralizing for someone just getting started in running.  Whoever says such a thing is WRONG for that.

Realistically, it could be really easy for one comment like that would be enough to send someone right back to the couch who just got off of it...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞