Beginners and Beyond

Should a 5k in March have a water aid station? (Read 193 times)

Goorun

Oh snap!

LTH may be completely correct. As in fact I was mainly looking for opinions on what works best for people, technically everyone is correct. (Oh what a diplomat I am.) However I have also read on other topics (e.g. Paleo Diet) that this kind of evolutionary argument is not necessarily  definitive. Humans managed to run & survive for quite some time before interval training and high-tech running shoes were invented, but over time they discovered things that improved their ability to run long distances.

And Goorun - no need for a beer stop, you can just keep the beer in the Camelbak you wear for your 5k's.

I knew that there must be a logical use for camebacks. *like*

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Pour a bottle of Black Bush into my Camelback. I'll surely PR.

yeoldefatguy

A water station in a 5k is needed about as much as a finisher's medal...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

In Miami, it better have 3 water stations.  It is already high 80s down here.

Damaris

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

The issue with hydration in many races is the need to be properly hydrated to begin with.  It takes roughly 30 minutes from the time you take a drink for it to make it through our system and become sweat to cool your body down.  For most runners that means water drank at the middle of a 10K might become sweat near the end of the race.  Any water drank in a 5K is actually a recovery drink.

Show up properly hydrated and just go run your ass off.

LRB

How do you push yourself, "to the limit and beyond?"  Is that like "giving 110%?"

No, by running 12 miles at marathon pace out of 20 miles total, in a carb depleted state without hydration of any kind.

Mind you, what you would consider the limit may make mine look like child's play, running 50 miles on your birthday for instance.  That does not however, cheapen what *I* consider the limit for me.

happylily

Okay, I did an experiment this morning, just for you guys. See how nice I am? Big grin

So I ran 22 miles this morning, it was about 65F. I never stopped to drink (or fuel, or pee) once. I became thirsty by the 16th mile. Then, I became VERY thirsty by mile 19. At mile 21, I was having delirious visions of pineapple, and lychees and lemonade. After my run, I drank one full bottle of sparkling water and I didn't even have to pee for about 8 hours after that.

I have no conclusion to my experiment, other than the fact that I'm nuts. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Successfully refrained from hysterically laughing. I was told that it's best to carb load even before a 5K or a 10K and to drink during every run. I don't eat before anything but my long runs. I drink only water and don't fuel during my long runs. I don't eat before or drink during short (under seventy minutes) runs. After I exchanged this information with others ( we were discussing exercise, nutrition, and hydration), I was immediately lectured about properly hydrating and fueling before and during a run by someone who barely knows me and isn't in the best shape.