Beginners and Beyond

Hit by a vehicle.......on my bike this time......I'm at a loss for words... (Read 184 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

Exactly.

Until I lose 5-10 lbs, there is little point seeking a bike that is a pound or two lighter, but vastly more expensive.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Nevrgivup

If you just want something to pedal around, not necessarily do real "cycling" on, check local bike shops for something used and get a hybrid. DH and I paid less than $300 each for ours. They aren't real road bikes and not top end, but they are a step up from something you'd buy in a big box store and work fine for our occasional outings of just a few miles. I think the most we've done is 40 miles.

This would be me. I've always wanted to buy a bike also, but never for more than $500 bucks or so. I live in the country and it would be so nice to have to go for a few miles when I don't feel like running. Maybe this spring Dh and I will go look at some. When we went to the Cape a few years ago in Nantucket we rented bikes and though we only biked eight miles, it was good quality fun. He was quite the speedster. The Cape has the best bike trails.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Just B.S.

The Cape has the best bike trails.

Good to know for future vacation ideas.  Hubby and I always have our bikes in the back

of the van when on driving vacations. Have always wanted to visit the Cape. Smile

Although now I guess I need to ask why type of trails as I only have the road bike. I do

have a set of heavier tires with a bit of a tread I could put on but still wouldn't be able

to ride on any rough trails.

Nevrgivup

Good to know for future vacation ideas.  Hubby and I always have our bikes in the back

of the van when on driving vacations. Have always wanted to visit the Cape. Smile

Although now I guess I need to ask why type of trails as I only have the road bike. I do

have a set of heavier tires with a bit of a tread I could put on but still wouldn't be able

to ride on any rough trails.

Here is a pretty decent website about biking at the Cape.http://capecodbikebook.com 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Just B.S.

Here is a pretty decent website about biking at the Cape.http://capecodbikebook.com 

Thanks Hil! Don't know if it will be this year as starting a new job I have limited vacation and

need to save it for Italy but one never knows!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

oooh I love all this expensive bike talk Smile and I'm chuckling at your reactions (if you don't ride you'd have no reason to know though)

tinman11

oooh I love all this expensive bike talk Smile and I'm chuckling at your reactions (if you don't ride you'd have no reason to know though)

Same here.

Just like Just B.S. and her hubby, we always have bikes on the back - mountain or road, depending on where we're going.

And, just like them, usually a few boats on the roof........

Just B.S.

Same here.

Just like Just B.S. and her hubby, we always have bikes on the back - mountain or road, depending on where we're going.

And, just like them, usually a few boats on the roof........

Hey Tinman!!! And those boats are fun too aren't they? Smile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Interesting thread since hubby is thinking of cycling as a ways to combat his need for cardio while his shin splints hurt (from time to time).  Of course I must have one and accompany him too, so what can I find?  He was thinking $1-2K was reasonable but now I wonder if we should get something cheaper (NOT $300 though).

Damaris

StepbyStep-SH

FYI - We had talked to our LBS owner and she was watching for used bikes for us, then let us know when something came in that she thought would fit us. DH did replace the seat on his.
                      Having a good relationship with a local shop can go a long way if they are good at what they do.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

FYI - We had talked to our LBS owner and she was watching for used bikes for us, then let us know when something came in that she thought would fit us. DH did replace the seat on his.
                        Having a good relationship with a local shop can go a long way if they are good at what they do.

I'm partial to the hybrids right now (for many reasons) but here's a short list I'd suggest to anyone........

Cannondale Quick 

Specialized Sirrus

Trek 7.x (7.1, 7.2, 7.3, etc.)

Fuji Absolute

Giant Escape

Diamondback Insight

All of these can be found at LBSs and other bikes in between.  You can pick up the lower end of these bikes for around $400 and some closeout models go even lower than that.  That's for pretty darn good bikes which you can also get in the SIZE THAT FITS YOU!!! (Which as I mentioned earlier is MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!!)

Randy

tinman11

Hey Tinman!!! And those boats are fun too aren't they? Smile

They sure are.

Very nice to have the freedom to ride trails, ride the road, run trails, run the road, and paddle the rivers, lakes, and oceans.

I always feel like we're getting such a great benefit for the money we've spent on quality gear since we use everything so frequently.

When we paddle whitewater on free flowing rivers in the mountains of east Tennessee, we typically go in the winter because that's when it rains enough to provide a decent flow on many of the good runs.  We usually need two vehicles so we can drop the boats at the put-in and drop one car where we'll take out, then drive back up to where our boats are to start.

Having bikes or running shoes can eliminate the need for the extra car.  When I proposed to my wife several years ago, it was on a paddling trip the two of us made on a snowy December day just before Christmas.  At that time she was biking 100 mpw while I didn't even own a bike.  So, on this trip she was the one who ran (biked) shuttle for us.

As I sat around nervously double checking the diamond ring hidden inside the fleece top under my dry suit, I saw her peddling her mountain bike up the icy road and I knew I was a very lucky man!

tinman11

Interesting thread since hubby is thinking of cycling as a ways to combat his need for cardio while his shin splints hurt (from time to time).  Of course I must have one and accompany him too, so what can I find?  He was thinking $1-2K was reasonable but now I wonder if we should get something cheaper (NOT $300 though).

D, I think you two should first decide where you'll ride.  Somewhere you can go easily and frequently.

That may be mountain biking trails, road biking on roads or riding something in between on a greenway type path.  Each one has +/-'s but you want to give some weight to the option that you'll actually be able to do often enough.  I also recommend quality racks (Yakima).

We live in an area where we ride roads & mountain bike trails so we each own a road bike & mountain bike.  $1,500 - $2,500/EA price range should meet your needs easily.  I also like to buy new bikes since it's easier to get the right fit and reduce the chances of buying one that has been wrecked.  You may negotiate a better deal for two bikes and all the gear but I would target bikes with an MSRP of at least $1,500.

I would also buy from a local bike shop that you can drive to easily since you'll be stopping in some for tune ups, gear, etc.  Those guys can help you find the right bike for each of you.

hog4life

Redrum, thanks for that list, I've been looking and doing a little research for an upcoming purchase. I've looked at 2 on your list.

Tinman 11, I was hoping to hit the $500-$700 range for 2 bikes. If buying 2 gives a little break, that might help me get a little more bike for the money.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

D, I think you two should first decide where you'll ride.  Somewhere you can go easily and frequently.

That may be mountain biking trails, road biking on roads or riding something in between on a greenway type path.  Each one has +/-'s but you want to give some weight to the option that you'll actually be able to do often enough.  I also recommend quality racks (Yakima).

We live in an area where we ride roads & mountain bike trails so we each own a road bike & mountain bike.  $1,500 - $2,500/EA price range should meet your needs easily.  I also like to buy new bikes since it's easier to get the right fit and reduce the chances of buying one that has been wrecked.  You may negotiate a better deal for two bikes and all the gear but I would target bikes with an MSRP of at least $1,500.

I would also buy from a local bike shop that you can drive to easily since you'll be stopping in some for tune ups, gear, etc.  Those guys can help you find the right bike for each of you.

I can only do a 1-mile loop park or the roads since Miami has no biking trails or otherwise, unless I go once a week to the tough trail at Oleta (for mountain biking).  But I want it to do at least 3-4 times a week, so, it's mostly normal roads, sidewalks (in here the bikes tend to go on the sidewalk because of the crazy drivers and police lets them), or the park with a one mile road loop.

Thanks for the tip.  This is triathlon central so there are plenty of bike shops, including my LRS which is owed by tri athletes.

Damaris