Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 45 times)

LRB

LRB - 65 minutes is better than nothing!  Yeah, I have and hate those days too.

I'm actually at the lower end of the mileage spectrum of those who were here prior to the addition of our latest members. My peak year was in 2014 when I ran 2273 miles. It's also the only year I haven't gotten injured since I began running in 2011, so I cannot see myself ever running any more than that.

Happy Anniversary. I can be a real bitch when I don't run, so my streak would have hit 13 days at a minimum. lol

LRB

I started running in the winter/spring of 2009 but I didn't track miles at all the first year. So about 9 years.  Once I got to the point I could run 3 miles, I usually ran 3 miles every other day or so and maybe a little bit longer run on the weekend (5 miles).  Then I decided to run a marathon in 2010 and started following a plan and tracking miles.  I don't stretch or xt or yoga or anything else but run.   I used to feel on the verge of injury a lot but not so much anymore.

Date ▼ Distance Pace Speed Notes
      2017 2692.9 mi 8:21 7.2  
      2016 2660.0 mi 8:29 7.1 Achilles issue but I really only took 2 weeks off and a few lower mileage weeks.
      2015 2638.6 mi 8:27 7.1  
      2014 2301.4 mi 8:31 7.0 Calf injury and had to take a full month off
      2013 2568.5 mi 8:57 6.7  
      2012 2000.0 mi 9:54 6.1  
      2011 808.8 mi 10:09 5.9  Spent most of the year injured (ITBS)
      2010 1321.7 mi 10:13 5.9  

I remember that calf injury. You came back and totally killed your marathon.

LM, how's it living with the great dane? Any news on how long you'll be keeping him?

Dude.  Longest week of my life.  If either dog were smaller, it might have been fine, but it was pretty hectic.  My puppy (Seder) is so playful, if he was in the same room and not crated, he spent every single second bugging the shit out of Leroy.

Leroy was down to play, but we were really scared of his "play" maneuvers, which invariably involved putting his entire mouth around either the back of Seder's neck, or if Seder was on his back, the whole throat was in Leroy's mouth.  I don't think it was anything other than play behavior, but I was scared that if something startled Leroy he would chomp down, and I've been reading about Gracie here, and hell no am I letting something like that happen to my dog.  The alternate play behavior was Leroy getting a solid start on raping Seder, we intervened in that a few times before it got weird.  (Even still, it was weird.)  So we had to keep them separate unless we could supervise.  It felt really unfair to Seder, he spent more than his fair share of time in his crate.

But, there's a very happy ending.  Our best family friends (we're going to Hawaii with them in December, their kids babysit for us, we spend a lot of time hanging out) had a lab who passed about 3 years ago.  The 2 boys were devastated, and have spent a lot of time at my house playing with my labs to feel better.  Dad wanted another dog, but he really wanted a big dog.  He was thinking Neapolitan Mastiff, English Mastiff, Newfie, or GD.  Boys didn't care what, they just really wanted a dog again.  The mom was not a fan of getting another dog, they just remodeled their house (added a lot of sq footage), and she didn't want a puppy destroying everything.

Enter this situation.  It's been percolating since September when Leroy's owner started going down the crazy path and it looked like he was going to need a permanent new home.  I was willing to do it if there wasn't a better alternative, I wouldn't leave him homeless, I'd figure out a way to make it work.  But, when he became truly "available" last week, our friends had been thinking about him since September, and still really wanted him.  They came and met him last Sunday, talked about it over the week, and decided to do it.  They brought him home (for reals!) on Sunday.  They bought out half the toystore in stuffed animals (his favorite toy), got him a new bed--but plan to let him sleep on any couch he wants, and have been generally spoiling him rotten.  The kids (13 and 16) love him.  He's older, so he's not chewing or destroying, and he's got short hair so not a lot of shedding--so the mom is very happy.  And the dad finally gets his ridiculously huge dog.  (Dad is about 5'2".  This may explain the fascination.)  I think Leroy may technically be the 13 year old's dog as the best bar mitzvah present of all time, but they all love him.

So, truly the best possible ending ever to a sad story.

LRB

Hey OneMile, sorry about the trip, that sucks.  Is it a rescheduleable thing, or not so much?  Glad Gracie is doing better, she looks a lot happier in the recent picture!  She's a stunning dog, even in a cone.

LRB, that was my morning too.  I questioned my decision to run from the first 100 feet until I was done.  I started doing weird runner math with workouts and rest days and races, and what should be where, and landed on the unavoidable conclusion that I should have taken a RD today.  But once I'm up at the butt crack of dawn, and dressed, it seems like a waste not to go.  But it felt sloggy.  Whatever, 5 done.

Dave, I almost bit it this morning.  I thought of you.  Hope round two is healing up.

OFR, drop kick 'em!!  Way to embrace your inner alpha 

I live where the weather makes no gdamn sense, so naturally it's predicted to be 87 on Thanksgiving day.  Not exactly PR weather.  This should be interesting.

Baboon, good luck this weekend!!!!!  I'm excited to hear how it went!

ETA: Happy anniversary Bert!!

I am of the belief that the 5 mile slog, while indeed ass-suck worthy, will be better for you this week when it's all said and done. But I also believe that Earth is round, so that might not count for much. lol

(apparently, there has been renewed debate that the earth is flat)

DavePNW

I am of the belief that the 5 mile slog, while indeed ass-suck worthy, will be better for you this week when it's all said and done.

+1. The 5-mile slog is a staple of my training. I probably average two of those a week.

Dave

DavePNW

I remember that calf injury. You came back and totally killed your marathon.

Of course you do. You remember stuff about all of us that we can't remember ourselves.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

LM, glad the dog story has a happy ending. The humping is a display of dominance. My female dog did this to me all the time, never once did it to DH. She was not accepting that I was above her in the pecking order. I have also seen that with male dogs--it was a golden retriever vs llasa apso. If I had to guess on that one, it's the larger male dog pointing out to the smaller one that he's bigger & in charge.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Of course you do. You remember stuff about all of us that we can't remember ourselves.

Very true

Damaris

Runshortii

I ran 5. It was cold and windy, but I found a dollar on the ground so that's something.

My mileage is extremely low compared to almost everyone here, but interestingly enough this is the first year I've consistently ran 30+ mpw and first year I've reached 50 mpw, and I've had wayyy less injuries than in the past. In the past I was only running 20-30 mpw and I felt like I was injured all the time. My mileage also wasn't consistent whatsoever and I was doing way too much speedwork.

Onemile - That sucks about your trip  but I'm glad Gracie is doing better

bluerun

Super B****

You make that sound kinda creepy.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LM, glad the dog story has a happy ending. The humping is a display of dominance. My female dog did this to me all the time, never once did it to DH. She was not accepting that I was above her in the pecking order. I have also seen that with male dogs--it was a golden retriever vs llasa apso. If I had to guess on that one, it's the larger male dog pointing out to the smaller one that he's bigger & in charge.

Hahaha!  That's funny.  Seder (male) tries to hump my husband's leg all the time, but does not try that shit on me.  I guess we know who's in charge at my house 

Runshortii

Our female 43 lb dog humps our male 90 lb dog He's a big baby

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ended up switching runs with tomorrow due to time.  5 miles done with hubby.

Bugsy is doing well. He has found a sport for him atop one of the sofas.  Looks like he loves the messiest corner.

PS, no idea who is trying to hang Lincoln in this picture.  I suspect my husband didn't know what to do with that rope.... 

Damaris

onemile

DavePNW

+1. The 5-mile slog is a staple of my training. I probably average two of those a week.

OK, I guess I was exaggerating. Of 313 runs this year, 51 (16%) were ~5 miles, so closer to one a week. But they were indeed slogs - average pace 24 sec/mi slower than overall average for the year.

Dave