Beginners and Beyond

FALLing Friday Penguins! (Read 19 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

--RALPH WALDO EMERSON

PADRunner

Seems like just yesterday it was Summer. 74 this morning and it will be the high for the day. 59 tomorrow morning!

It's headed your way Scotty.

9x400 this morning.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me and will pick up my packets for my races this weekend - one on Saturday, one on Sunday.  97 degrees today - our last 'high 90's' for a bit - that 'cold front' that PAD is already experiencing will be down in our area by tomorrow.  High tomorrow of only 78, sweet.  Next week, highs in the upper 80s, low 90s.....sweet again!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

New discovery about running: starting at a slower pace will lead to a faster run overall. 

Anyway, I've felt like I've been struggling to hold pace on my marathon pace runs, so yesterday, I decided to let go of my 4 hour goal, run 10 sec slower/mile, and just see how it felt.  It was also my first 10-mile MP run of the plan (13 miles total with warmup and cooldown).  So, the goal was to start at a 9:20 pace and try to stay consistent through all 10.  Instead, here's what happened:

9:19 ("OMG how am I ever going to finish a marathon at any pace?  I should totally DNS")

9:17

9:19 ("This pace is GREAT!  Who needs 4-hours anyway?")

9:20

9:18 (Getting hard to not accidentally run too fast)

9:08 ("OK, I am just going to let my legs go to my "old" GMP if they want.")

9:07

At this point, it was getting dark, but I decided not to swing by my house and pick up the headlamp I had left on the porch.  For one thing, I was in a groove and didn't want to stop.  Also, I was on the roads anyways, and had good footing.  Besides, it would be good to just maintain even effort and only check my watch in the streetlights, right?  And whatever happens to my pace is whatever happens.

9:01

8:56

8:56 

Overall pace- 9:10 on the nose!

PAD- Nice intervals!  How did they feel?

Scotty- Finally back to racing!

Ginny- You are always so kind!  I think the trick to not running my easy pace too fast is that there is absolutely no way I can run that fast on easy days after pushing myself on the hard ones.  Instead, I can barely hobble around!  You do such a nice job pacing yourself on hills based on effort.  I am not so good at that myself.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!  Well, the countdown to BEACH WEEK is at ZERO!!  All I have to do is finish my work for the day, and then I can head home to do laundry, pack, and make a quick batch of cookies.  We leave for the beach tomorrow!!  We're going to OBX, with Dusty, and a good time will be had by all!  I likely won't log in here, though, so y'all behave while I'm gone!

PAD -- wow, 59 sounds awesome!!

scotty -- enjoy the cooler race weather!!

Zelanie -- sounds like a SWEET run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

HsM- Have a good time!  And get your miles to your team captain!

Singer who runs a smidge

I've already got Damaris' e-mail programmed into my phone so I can e-mail them to her! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've already got Damaris' e-mail programmed into my phone so I can e-mail them to her! 

I'll be traveling to Boston and back so Z, make sure to remind me by Tuesday morning (if I have not post them).

Morning!  I have 5 miles and weights tonight.  Currently at a deposition. See you later.

Damaris

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

Nice run Zel!

Have a great trip HsM!

3 easy miles this morning. My legs feel normal again, I'm going to blame the old shoes for last week's soreness. My hernia surgery is officially scheduled for October 14th; I have a 5K this weekend, my goal 5K October 5th, and now a 10K on the 13th too - going to run the hell out of it since I will be on enforced rest immediately afterward, haha Big grin

GinnyinPA

PAD - I hope the cool weather sticks around for a while.  I hope the intervals went well.

Scotty - good luck with your races this weekend.  It has been a while since your last race.

Z- good job on the MP run.  Very encouraging for you.

HopesMom - have fun at the beach.  I hope you don't get too much rain this weekend.

Damaris - are you racing this weekend?  If so, good luck.

Lauren - does your hernia affect your running?  Good luck with all the races.  I'm glad your legs are behaving again.

AFM:  Cool and cloudy here.  I don't know if we'll go for a hike later or I go for a run.

I was feeling bad about missing this weekend's nearby HM (we expected to still be travelling, so I did no training for it), but it looks like it is going to rain all morning on Saturday, so I'm not as unhappy.  There's a 5k in town in a couple of weeks that I'm considering, except that gauging by last year's results, it's not a serious race, more of a fun run.  The fastest person in my AG last year did 35 minutes.  That may be because it's crowded or it could be because nobody is really running hard.  I haven't done a 5k in a year and a half, so I'm curious about my pace but I don't know if this is a good venue to test that.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ginny, sometimes things work out for the best, no?  I am doing a race in Boston but it's only an MP workout, no PR attempt.  Thanks.

Damaris

Bin Running

The double from yday took a bit out of me. Feeling a little sore. 5M easy done this morning.

Mel, good run. I've no doubt you will rock the FM. You havent taper yet.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Had to dig out long sleeves and tights (short)  today.  A little chilly start but once we got going, our 4-5 planned turned into 7 miles  Only 2 runners the whole run.  Lots of goose poop to dance around.  I think they need a No Poop sign(s).

Now we can clean the basement and start putting all of our stuff back downstairs (what we don't throw out).

Have a great weekend.

Singer who runs a smidge

I had an investigator come in and complain about my prices.  One single investigator out of the entire university, but I had to go through and search out pricing from other universities so that I could prove mine weren't out of line.  For his particular service, I charge $42 per sample.  I looked up 28 different universities offering, as close as I could tell, the same service.  My best calculation of the average price?  $41.36.

Sheesh!! 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Asshole, is what he is!

Damaris