Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdaylies are here. (Read 28 times)

No more marathons

Having said all of that, the jury is still out on whether having my workouts assigned to me is better than winging it on my own. Going into it, I wasn't sure how long I would go using this method. Heading into my fourth month however, I will probably continue through the summer and see what fruit I can grab (if any) this fall.

The biggest advantage to me of the on-line coach is I have someone that I'm at least partially accountable to for completing the workouts.  Any time I used a plan in the past (Pfitz, Higdon, Daniels) it was just too easy to skip a workout or make one easier.

The improvement I had in my half this past weekend speaks volumes about  how sticking to the plan has helped.

Of course, anyone with more discipline than me would get the same improvement from a written plan - I just need that human touch, even if it is only on-line.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

The biggest advantage to me of the on-line coach is I have someone that I'm at least partially accountable to for completing the workouts.  Any time I used a plan in the past (Pfitz, Higdon, Daniels) it was just too easy to skip a workout or make one easier.

The improvement I had in my half this past weekend speaks volumes about  how sticking to the plan has helped.

Of course, anyone with more discipline than me would get the same improvement from a written plan - I just need that human touch, even if it is only on-line.

I understand.

onemile

I ran 8

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am like bluesky. Without a coach, I miss too many workouts. With one, I make the effort.

Damaris

onemile

I am like bluesky. Without a coach, I miss too many workouts. With one, I make the effort.

Yeah. I would have taken a rest day this week. Or maybe given myself 5 easy miles three days in a row. 

onemile

I haven't decided yet. Still a logistics problem. I should have registered for the 100K. The starting line is the same as the finish line. I paid for it so I can run it if I want. I'm 80% confident I will.

Beer is good Smile

I bet they would let you switch....

Half Crazy K 2.0

A little over 7 with 20 minutes tempo, 2 minutes recovery then 6 x 1/4 mile with 1:30 recoveries.

Yippee, rain & wind for my 5k on Saturday. 100% chance of rain. Lovely.

DavePNW

Discipline is not my problem. I will go to great lengths to avoid missing a workout. My problem is having no idea WTF I'm doing. So any plan from someone who does know will do for me. My cheapness is what makes me pick book over coach. Not to mention it still feels weird to me to have a coach at my level, but I realize people do it. Plus, all my online coaches are here.

MTA: did the second half of my double, 4. Had to sneak out of work a bit early to do it. Smile

Dave

Runshortii

Where do you guys find your coaches?  I know a lot of people seem to go through Hudson Elite (Jen I think you do?), but then I see self proclaimed "running coaches" on instagram who charge $125 a month and seem to have no other credentials or coaching experience other than simply being runners themselves.

Cyberic

I bet they would let you switch....

Nope. The 100K was full months before. It's a very small organization. The places are very limited. 25 runners for the 100K, and 55 for the 50K. There's actually a waiting list for the 100K. There's two people on it.

Plus, it would not be smart to do so. I mean I'm pretty sure I could do it, but better to do things the correct way. Pretty easy to brag "I should have registered for the 100K"... I'm good at that.

onemile

Where do you guys find your coaches?  I know a lot of people seem to go through Hudson Elite (Jen I think you do?), but then I see self proclaimed "running coaches" on instagram who charge $125 a month and seem to have no other credentials or coaching experience other than simply being runners themselves.

Yeah. I have seen posts asking for coaches on the local running club facebook page and I know of one person who offers coaching and per her website, she is working to BQ herself. And she charges more than what I pay Hudson.

onemile

Nope. The 100K was full months before. It's a very small organization. The places are very limited. 25 runners for the 100K, and 55 for the 50K. There's actually a waiting list for the 100K. There's two people on it.

Plus, it would not be smart to do so. I mean I'm pretty sure I could do it, but better to do things the correct way. Pretty easy to brag "I should have registered for the 100K"... I'm good at that.

Dammit

Cyberic

About the coach, I cannot speak for Baboon and Damaris who have coaches  they actually meet and talk to, but from what I see of the elite online coaching, for ME I don't see myself registering. I'm pretty disciplined, follow my plans well when I use a plan, and am starting to like to make my own programs. I don't feel I need to be held accountable to an online person. For accountability I have this forum.

Of course seeing all of your workouts given by great coaching has helped a lot.

But I do not think others are wasting their money. I don't think I'd be "wasting" my money if I did register. I just can't find solid arguments to myself.

Half Crazy K 2.0

No clue what the actual certification process is, but if you go on the RRCA page, you can get a list of their coaches by state.

Don't have a coach.

onemile

About the coach, I cannot speak for Baboon and Damaris who have coaches  they actually meet and talk to, but from what I see of the elite online coaching, for ME I don't see myself registering. I'm pretty disciplined, follow my plans well when I use a plan, and am starting to like to make my own programs. I don't feel I need to be held accountable to an online person. For accountability I have this forum.

Of course seeing all of your workouts given by great coaching has helped a lot.

But I do not think others are wasting their money. I don't think I'd be "wasting" my money if I did register. I just can't find solid arguments to myself.

I think Baboon has an online coach?  And Damaris's coach lives in Chicago