Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #118 (Read 28 times)

Cyberic

My MIL has made masks following the public health recommendations (she lives in the same house I do) but I have yet to wear one. The only time I go out is once a week for grocery shopping. Other than that I stay home. I'm not counting running, of course, that I do in the morning in places where it is possible 99.9% of the time to keep the 6 feet recommandation (2 meters here). When the 6 feet is not possible, we never come within 3 feet of each other, and it's only for a split second, so IMO we're safe enough. Not that I feel threatened, but I do my best so anxious people do not feel threatened by my behavior. If all runners/cyclists/walkers did the same as me, there would be no need for restrictive orders, or at least a lot less. But yeah, like Dave said, this is why we can't have nice things.
    Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have friends and coworkers who have been frothing at the mouth since the onset but it hasn't been that difficult for me to digest. I had said way back in the beginning that if I weren't allowed to run, I wouldn't have. My only concern was that it was made clear if we were allowed to run.

You can't have a rational discussion with irrational people and I just want to say to some of these folks; you do realize that people are like dying and shit, don't you? And some of those who aren't dying are going through incredible pain and misery. It's not like this is a power outage or some minor inconvenience. C19 is a fire breathing dragon and the world has been getting its collective ass kicked.

Well said. I don't understand how some don't get it. Or don't care. I don't know which one is worse.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We wear masks when we go grocery shopping. It's like Black Friday there some days.

Damaris

onemile

My MIL has made masks following the public health recommendations (she lives in the same house I do) but I have yet to wear one. The only time I go out is once a week for grocery shopping. Other than that I stay home. I'm not counting running, of course, that I do in the morning in places where it is possible 99.9% of the time to keep the 6 feet recommandation (2 meters here). When the 6 feet is not possible, we never come within 3 feet of each other, and it's only for a split second, so IMO we're safe enough. Not that I feel threatened, but I do my best so anxious people do not feel threatened by my behavior. If all runners/cyclists/walkers did the same as me, there would be no need for restrictive orders, or at least a lot less. But yeah, like Dave said, this is why we can't have nice things.

I didn't know your MIL lived with you. No wonder you run so many miles 

onemile

You can't have a rational discussion with irrational people and I just want to say to some of these folks; you do realize that people are like dying and shit, don't you? And some of those who aren't dying are going through incredible pain and misery. It's not like this is a power outage or some minor inconvenience. C19 is a fire breathing dragon and the world has been getting its collective ass kicked.

but I need a haircut!

Cyberic

We wear masks when we go grocery shopping. It's like Black Friday there some days.

Masks are not mandatory here yet, but are getting more and more the right thing to do, so I will probably wear one in the grocery store next weekend. Personnally, I feel different about the situation than the majority, but I follow the local recommandations and obligations to a T. What I think is something, but what I need to do might be something else. The problem with people not doing what needs to be done (decided by the local authorities) is that we don't know if the measure is effective if some wahoos are not following them. So they add more rules because the results are not there. But maybe the initial rules were sufficient, if respected.
              Runshortii

Well said. I don't understand how some don't get it. Or don't care. I don't know which one is worse.

I feel like a lot of people, especially in more rural areas, think it won’t affect them unfortunately

Runshortii

I have friends and coworkers who have been frothing at the mouth since the onset but it hasn't been that difficult for me to digest. I had said way back in the beginning that if I weren't allowed to run, I wouldn't have. My only concern was that it was made clear if we were allowed to run.

You guys have been hit hard in MI too

LRB

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Masks are not mandatory here yet, but are getting more and more the right thing to do, so I will probably wear one in the grocery store next weekend. Personnally, I feel different about the situation than the majority, but I follow the local recommandations and obligations to a T. What I think is something, but what I need to do might be something else. The problem with people not doing what needs to be done (decided by the local authorities) is that we don't know if the measure is effective if some wahoos are not following them. So they add more rules because the results are not there. But maybe the initial rules were sufficient, if respected.

They are not mandatory here but recommended. And I see a lot of people that basically don't care or don't believe this virus is serious. They get into your space and push you, pass by you, no social distancing. So, at least the mask makes me feel a bit like I'm trying to help the cause.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I feel like a lot of people, especially in more rural areas, think it won’t affect them unfortunately

And we are so selfish if it doesn't affect them personally, they don't care.

Damaris

onemile

Oops!

I gave one to RRP to try and he got heartburn.  I promised another running friend he can have the rest of mine to try whenever I see him next

I have zero desire to eat another one of those after burping them up at Houston

DavePNW

but I need a haircut!

If our governor saw my hair right now, he might think about opening things back up.

Dave

onemile

If our governor saw my hair right now, he might think about opening things back up.

now might be a good time to try shaving your head

DavePNW

now might be a good time to try shaving your head

Don’t think it hasn’t crossed my mind. Well not a clean shave, but a buzz cut. Shaven heads are better for balding men; as long as I still have my hair, I’m going to let it show.

Dave