Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins- Smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy (Read 26 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Morning!  Congrats to Scotty for the Spurs win last night.  They have been slowly earning my respect over the years.  Plus I like Patty Melt, he used to be a Blazer. Smile

I didn't have time to run my full 10 last night, but I did get in 6.  Back out tonight for 6-10.

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, you beat me!!  I was just going to start a thread, but your title is way cooler.  Chorus rehearsal for me tonight, and the PT exercises continue.  I got DH to do them with me this morning, and of course they didn't tire out his hips or glutes at all.  Weenie-head.  I guess that's why my knees hurt and his don't ...

Morning, Zel!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm all for the Spurs for Timmy D, who made four years at Wake Forest seem all kinds of wonderful.  Too bad I graduated just before he arrived ...

As it happened, he was at Wake on a swimming scholarship.  Coach Dave Odom happened to see him playing a pickup basketball game with some friends and said, "Come here, son, we need to talk!"  And the rest is history ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I ran 10 with 4 @ MP this morning.  It's so humid, my lungs are still coughing.  Bah.  Pilates later.

Damaris

PADRunner

Morning, 5 done this morning.

From the Internet.

Mmm Skippy... I'm eating an English muffin with PB right now. I've been crazy amounts of rungry this week. Weighed myself this morning and I'm down a pound from last week. At this rate my grocery bill is going to become absurd when I break into the 50s for weekly mileage!

Track workout last night was excellent. 1x1000 - 4:38, 2x800 - 3:42, 3:40, 3x600 - 2:36, 2:42, 2:41, 8 miles total with warmup/cooldown/recoveries. I wore my DS Racers for the second time ever and those shoes make me feel fast! Can't wait to race something in them! 4.27 recovery-jog miles done this morning, slow but I felt good the whole time - tired but not sore.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  I think another 6 for me today.  I'm getting used to 6 as my default distance now :-)  Granted, since I'm such a penguin it takes me over an hour but that's okay with me.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Lauren, maybe I shouldn't be one to speak since my weight and eating has been all over the place lately, but in general I am super rungry when I am building mileage, then it settles down once I am holding steady. it doesn't seem to be the number that matters as much as the change from what my body is used to.

From the Internet.

Lauren, maybe I shouldn't be one to speak since my weight and eating has been all over the place lately, but in general I am super rungry when I am building mileage, then it settles down once I am holding steady. it doesn't seem to be the number that matters as much as the change from what my body is used to.

That's a good point and what I'm hoping will happen.. Thinking back to last summer, I remember being pretty hungry when I first started running 25+ miles/week consistently (and sleepy after long runs, which also doesn't happen anymore), that level of mileage definitely wouldn't make me abnormally hungry now.

GinnyinPA

Z - enjoy your 8-10 tonight.

HM - if you're feeling the PT, it must mean you are strengthening muscles that need to be stronger.  I did yoga yesterday and was surprised at the muscles that were really resisting.  I was cramping in places I never cramp.

D - good job on the early humid miles.  Is there still smoke?

PAD - good job on the 5 this morning.

Lauren - that sounds like a really good workout.  You do get used to a level of activity and your food intake adjusts to match.  The problem comes when you're not running as much due to taper or injury but the appetite hasn't yet decreased.

sapf - I like 6 miles.  An hour is long enough to feel like I've had a good workout, but still easy enough to include strides or fartleks.

Rest day today and tomorrow.  I'm going to be climbing the walls.

Brilliant

Good Morning Penguins!

Zel, thanks for starting us off, enjoy the 6.

Lauren, what a great workout!

Thinking back to last summer, I remember being pretty hungry when I first started running 25+ miles/week consistently (and sleepy after long runs, which also doesn't happen anymore), ...

Oh, I thought I was the only one who needed a nap after a long run!  Maybe it will go away for me someday - it used to be after anything longer than 8; now it's more like 10-12.

Hopesmom, good for you with keeping up with the PT exercises.  Don't worry about hubby, as yoga instructors like to say: everybody's body is different so don't look at anybody else! Smile

Jill, I moved my default miles up to about 5 last year...I'd love to make it 6, but I'm trying to run 6 days a week, so I need those easier 5 mile days thrown in.

Ginny, you can go for a walk at least, right?!

Docket & PAD, nice running this morning.

6 done this morning, including 4x1200 at 5k pace.  The first 3 were OK but the last one really felt like finish-line 5k effort!

Robert31320

Team TJ

I got in 3.3 miles last night and another 4.3 miles this morning.

Running for TJ because he can't.

From the Internet.

Oh, I thought I was the only one who needed a nap after a long run!  Maybe it will go away for me someday - it used to be after anything longer than 8; now it's more like 10-12.

I was thinking about it this past weekend - 15 miles on Saturday and zero desire to nap afterward! Maybe my post-run coffee ritual is to blame? I only drink it 1-3x/week these days instead of every day, and one of those is always after my long run.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ginny, I cannot smell it anymore but I ran outside on Tuesday and that screwed up my lungs even while wearing the stuff to cover my mouth and nose. Good luck this weekend!

Damaris