Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Just grabbed this bad boy from the fridge.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

RSX

I'm not a big beer drinker, and usually stick to light ones. Tonight I'm finishing a case of Molson Canadian that I bought at the Ontario border in the summer.

Mostly harmless

Enjoying a couple of Sam Adams. Not very original, just good beer.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

StepbyStep-SH

After falling on my run tonight while trying to stay a safe distance away from a car that stopped almost in the middle of road and sat there for several minutes (very strange, at night, in a somewhat rural area - which is why I went into the ditch, causing me trip over a weed and scrape up my knee on the frozen ground) ... anyway, I needed a drink. Captain Morgan and Coke w/a lime x2. Much better now.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Love the Half

Enjoying a couple of Sam Adams. Not very original, just good beer.

Agreed.  I always have either Sam Adams or Rogue Dead Guy Ale in the fridge as my "go to" beers when I just want a beer but I'm not looking for anything in particular.  Sam Adams tends to get dissed by some of the beer geeks but I think that mostly comes from the crowd that thinks you can't possibly be making good beer if you're not making really extreme stuff or if you are making more than 1,000 barrels a year.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is arguably one of the best beers in America.  I absolutely love it. The hops on the nose will literally knock you over but there is a ton of floral aroma rather than just bitter.  When you taste it, the bitterness at 90 IBU is obvious but the sweetness of the malt is impossible to miss.  The balance is a true work of art.

Mind you, I have never gotten my  hands on Pliny the Elder so I'm reserving judgement until I taste that masterpiece.

Alright, I am gonna give it a go next stop at the liquor store. Cool

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Anyone triy the 75 Min IPA from Dogfish, I heard they will be releasing it in bottles now.

aplodder

Susan

Speaking of Sam Adams, I'm really liking their Maple Pecan Porter.

Love the Half

Alright, I am gonna give it a go next stop at the liquor store. Cool

I think you'll be pleased.  Do yourself a favor though.  When you take it out of the fridge, rather than opening it immediately, let it sit for 15-20 minutes so that it warms just a bit.  You'll notice a lot more of the malt backbone if you don't drink it mouth numbingly cold.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Don't know about that IPA but my gripe with many IPA's is that they are essentially nothing but a hopped up Coors Light.  They don't have a lot of floral aromas nor do they have much malt backing them up.  They're just bitter.  Well hell, that doesn't take any effort.  Just dump a bunch of hop pellets into the boil and presto - IPA.  It doesn't even matter what variety you use as the boil drives off all the aromatics and leaves nothing but the alpha acid bitterness.  Good IPA's a bitter but they are backed up with tons of floral aromas and a big malt backbone.

That's what dry hopping is for. And that's also why you generally speaking DON'T want to age an IPA.  Hop aroma dissipates rather quickly with age.

LRS

Chasing Muses

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is arguably one of the best beers in America.  

Truer words have never been spoken on this, or any, forum.

Correction, the statement could do without the "arguably" part.

Ken WD

Anyone triy the 75 Min IPA from Dogfish, I heard they will be releasing it in bottles now.

Yes, I loved it. Saw it on the shelf at the beginning of January (I think it was in Vermont). I wish I bought more than one bottle.

TxDiverMom

Beer threads make me sad ... I can't have it any more. And all those stouts and porters on LTH's list sound so good! My favorite post-marathon treat was a local stout "Oscar's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout" from Sand Creek Brewing.

Now I have to stick with wine, cider and cocktails - think tonight will be a Angry Orchard Ginger Apple Cider.

My hubby found that beer doesn't bother him as long as he sticks with highly filtered brews.  He does fine with Coors Light, Corona Light, Michelob Light, etc.  Of course, if you really like the stours and dark brews, it doesn't help a whole lot.  He's been drinking the filtered ones for years.  He was diagnosed in 1994...back when nothing was labeled.  It was rough then!

chandakitty

Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye is out!  My favorite 2 months of the year.  Lovely balance of mellow and hop.  Last year's was a little better but I'm still drinking more than I should be since I know the window is narrow.  They stop making it march.  Cry

LRS

Chasing Muses

Just opened a DFH Raison d'Etre. Meh. I do want to meet the assholes who voted this "American Beer of the Year."