Beginners and Beyond

THURSDAILIES, Just One More Day to Go. You Can Do It! (Read 42 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

LMAO!! Me too, Mr. T. She is hoping for a sub 2:50. Based on her mile time I think she can do it.

From the Internet.

I haven't thought about my calf in HOURS now, hopefully this is a good thing! 8 miles on tap today, but will do it as a couple of shorter loops so I can bail early if the calf decides to protest after all.

Heavy deadlifts yesterday, I got 205 lbs off the ground 3 times before my grip started to fail! Legs were totally fine with it, not even a hint of DOMS yet.

LRB

I haven't thought about my calf in HOURS now, hopefully this is a good thing! 8 miles on tap today, but will do it as a couple of shorter loops so I can bail early if the calf decides to protest after all.

Heavy deadlifts yesterday, I got 205 lbs off the ground 3 times before my grip started to fail! Legs were totally fine with it, not even a hint of DOMS yet.

What once formed the foundation of my training, I haven't done deadlifts in a million years! Ditto barbell squats, bench presses, farmer's walks, weighted pull ups or any other testosterone inducing exercises.

These days, my training is centered around hip bridges, donkey kicks, vinyasa poses and touching my toes. All while wearing tights for mother fucks sake.

onemile

These days, my training is centered around running

Zelanie

Cy, that sucks.  I wish they could have waited another month before bringing in the changes!  Any chance you can just get to work super early, run near work, then shower at work?

I think I'm going to go with the pool running over the Alter-G.  Scheduling on the Alter-G looks to be terrible (the guy who is in charge of it is leaving tomorrow and I don't think they have a replacement), plus I think it's expensive and I don't know if their hours fit in with my work schedule.  The pool, on the other hand, is relatively cheap and open a lot.  There will be more approximation of workouts, but I think it's still a more reasonable option.

The only problem is that my flotation belt doesn't arrive until tomorrow.  So I had high hopes of actually getting in my tempo run today, but it looks like that isn't in the cards.

onemile

I need some audio book recommendations please.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Lifted weights at lunch time. I expect to be sore tomorrow.

Damaris

Zelanie

I need some audio book recommendations please.

You've already listened to The Goldfinch, right?

Recent books I've listened to and liked:

Cloud Atlas (OMG so good)

All The Light we Cannot See

Americanah

The Girl in the Spider's Web

God Help the Child

The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (kind of mixed feelings on this one, but interesting)

Non-audio books that were good, but I couldn't vouch for the audio narrator:

Mink River

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Cutting for Stone

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (although as a runner, the distances listed might feel unrealistic)

onemile

You've already listened to The Goldfinch, right?

I have not.

My most recent have been:

What Was Mine (okay)

Pretty girls (barely okay)

The Life We Bury (liked it)

A Man Called Ove (okay)

Orphan Train (liked it)

The Secret Keeper (liked it)

The Girl Who Slept with God (liked it)

Wild (a bit boring)

Zelanie

I have not.

My most recent have been:

What Was Mine (okay)

Pretty girls (barely okay)

The Life We Bury (liked it)

A Man Called Ove (okay)

Orphan Train (liked it)

The Secret Keeper (liked it)

The Girl Who Slept with God (liked it)

Wild (a bit boring)

The Goldfinch is awesome and long, but you need to deal with long fantastic passages of self-wallowing, etc.  I really appreciated that aspect of it, but maybe it's not for everyone.  Also, the narrator was really good.

I liked Orphan Train and thought Wild was OK, but haven't read the others on your list.

onemile

The Goldfinch is awesome and long, but you need to deal with long fantastic passages of self-wallowing, etc.  I really appreciated that aspect of it, but maybe it's not for everyone.  Also, the narrator was really good.

Hmm self-wallowing may not be what I want to listen to while running. That is a lot of what I didn't like about Wild, although Cheryl was complaining of her feet hurting and being hungry which isn't really what I want to think about while I am running. lol

Zelanie

Hmm self-wallowing may not be what I want to listen to while running. That is a lot of what I didn't like about Wild, although Cheryl was complaining of her feet hurting and being hungry which isn't really what I want to think about while I am running. lol

Yeah but this is lovely dark Russian hard drinking, drugs,  and questioning the very meaning of existence, not "wah, I'm not self-actualizing enough" type stuff.  I just remember being on a hotel TM in Florida realizing I had spent maybe 10 minutes listening to nothing but a very graphic decription of a depressive spiral.  And it was awesome.

onemile

Yeah but this is lovely dark Russian hard drinking, drugs,  and questioning the very meaning of existence, not "wah, I'm not self-actualizing enough" type stuff.  I just remember being on a hotel TM in Florida realizing I had spent maybe 10 minutes listening to nothing but a very graphic decription of a depressive spiral.  And it was awesome.

Okay sold. Smile

Zelanie

Okay sold. Smile

Hope you like it. Smile

Cyberic

Answer never came before I left running. I took my sweet ol' time and called in sick this afternoon.

Can you use personal time so you're off the clock? That's what I do when I go to red cord. I'm on my own time then, and if someone were to say something about it to me I would light them bitches up so fast they wouldn't know what hit 'em.

That's what it's always been, but now the rule is that you can not extend your lunch break with personal time. My boss told me explicitely because she knows I do this all the time, but it's a company wide policy.

The reasoning is that with flexible hours in the morning, at lunch and at leave time, it's near impossible to call a meeting. I understand that. What I find absolutely unconceivable is that they started to apply the rule systematically, even if there are no meetings planned.

Starting next week I'll work out in the morning, before going to work. The schedule is still flexible in the morning and in the evening. So I can come in at 9:30, and leave at 3 PM if I want, as long as I have cumulated personal time, but I just can't use that time around lunch time. I banked a good amount of time going to Seattle exactly for this purpose.

Thing about training in the morning is that if I run two doubles in a row, it doesn't leave much recovery time if I do a hard workout at 7 the next day. But I'll manage. I'm still mad at their lack of judgement in strictly applying the rule over night (although I did get a heads up about a week before) with no possibility of discussion.

Of course our company has these health programs about getting us moving, and eating healthy. With these new rules they are killing all the lunch time sports (there was badminton, volleyball, hockey, the regular gym crowd, and more). There are maybe 40 out of 250 that worked out at lunch and are pissed at the new rule, and to us, it is now clear that the company "Viva Health" program is pure bullshit to pay less insurance, and they don't believe in it.

Long post, I almost feel better Smile

MTA: Forgot, I ran 10.6 with 7 x (1 mile MP-15 w/1 minute jog)