Beginners and Beyond

Alter-G treadmill (Read 58 times)

Hip Redux

After my ass kicking trainer appointment on Friday, I have a 30 minute session scheduled on the Alter-G.    Because I am a client, I get to use it for free.   My trainer was telling me that someone has been renting it for 2 hours, three times a week.   It's $25/30 minutes.  Runners be crazy.

Anyone used one?

Paging bluerun. When injured (which is much of the time), she lives on the thing & puts up a shit-ton of miles. Which is much appreciated by my 2015 Mileage Game team - she often gets more miles while Alter-G-ing than while running. I had never heard of the thing before.

Dave

Hip Redux

So Alter-G miles is legit in the games?  Interesting.   He wants to start me at 50% body weight and he said I'll "fly"!  Which is all relative for me lol

LRB

LRB

They have one where I do red cord but I have never been on it. They have cameras set up around it, it looks pretty cool.

So Alter-G miles is legit in the games?  

As long as it is on my team, yes.

Dave

delicate flower

So Alter-G miles is legit in the games?  Interesting.   

Yeah, if that's what someone needs to use to keep running, I say count 'em.

<3

Hip Redux

I wasn't trying to say it was wrong or right, I just didn't realize how it all worked.

LRB - I think this one has cameras too!

delicate flower

I wasn't trying to say it was wrong or right, I just didn't realize how it all worked.

LRB - I think this one has cameras too!

I think the only time I've seen any complaining was when someone was counting their miles spent walking around the grocery store.

<3

LRB

There were a few back on the BF who claimed that it was not real running. But then there were those who said the same thing about treadmill running so there is that.

Boy that place brought out some special people let me tell you. lol

Hip Redux

I think the only time I've seen any complaining was when someone was counting their miles spent walking around the grocery store.

Were they doing fartleks up and down the aisles?

bluerun

Super B****

AHHHH I HAVE ONE OF THOSE!!  I LOVE IT SO MUCH.  (The caps are totally necessary.)

And yes, I count AlterG miles -- they're treadmill miles.  (If my bones weren't so shitty, I'd be running those miles outside.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

Do you own it?  Or rent it?    Any tips for a first timer?

bluerun

Super B****

I own it now -- it was ridiculously expensive, but it's worth it for me since it's not something I'd use just to rehab one injury.  I can't run much more than 15-20 MPW without it, and unless I miraculously develop bones of steel, that's not going to change.  It seemed silly to keep paying to rent time on it.

Honestly, it's just like a regular treadmill after the first time (it feels a little weird initially because you CAN feel your feet hitting the belt, but at the same time there's not really the impact).  You just have to run a lot faster if you want to elevate your heart rate much, especially if you're as low as 50%.

And I hope for your sake that wherever you're going, they have the sports performance shorts.  The regular ones have a seam right down the center of the crotch which is... not fun.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

Wait... I need special shorts?!   It's at a physical therapist's office....

He said he'd start me at 50%, not sure if the plan is to keep it there for the full time or what.