Beginners and Beyond

Sudden unexplained chafing... has anyone ever had that? (warning: disgusting pictures) (Read 117 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I think there are some chafing issues for both genders that the other gender just doesn't want to know about.

While not chafing, I'm fairly certain I am not the only female who found the thread on the main page about what got hurt on a cold morning must read material.

Any Lily, yes the chafing was bikini line & other areas.

Little Blue

^this.

And Blue: LRB may have some input, but he made it clear he is going nowhere near this thread.

Oh, yeah.  And he's taking himself on a date to the movies.

RSX

1 thing I learned when I was 19 DO NOT use Bengay there after being chafed. Once I started wearing compression shorts as an inner layer, I never got chafed up above. Occasionally I do catch my knees touching when I'm favoring an injury like today. I noticed it twice and was able to fix it, but that was at MP.

happylily

While not chafing, I'm fairly certain I am not the only female who found the thread on the main page about what got hurt on a cold morning must read material.

Any Lily, yes the chafing was bikini line & other areas.

Apparently, there is a lot to discuss there, because that thread has been going on for quite a while...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

1 thing I learned when I was 19 DO NOT use Bengay there after being chafed. Once I started wearing compression shorts as an inner layer, I never got chafed up above. Occasionally I do catch my knees touching when I'm favoring an injury like today. I noticed it twice and was able to fix it, but that was at MP.

No Bengay there. Gotcha. (Now... what "there" are we talking about, exactly? My there, HCK2.0's there or one of your special there?)

DavePNW

Apparently, there is a lot to discuss there, because that thread has been going on for quite a while...

It is nowhere to be found right now, sort of does a reverse hibernation every year, and will re-emerge around November.

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

It is nowhere to be found right now, sort of does a reverse hibernation every year, and will re-emerge around November.

Is this a special story involving the sports section of a newspaper? That is something those of us from "the old country" may remember.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

Is this a special story involving the sports section of a newspaper? That is something those of us from "the old country" may remember.

RSX

No Bengay there. Gotcha. (Now... what "there" are we talking about, exactly? My there, HCK2.0's there or one of your special there?)

At 19 I thought Bengay was the answer to every running pain but was a tad off

Half Crazy K 2.0

On a serious note, you may want to take a look at the capris & tights you wear for running the most to see if there is any wear in the areas where you chafed. This may give you some hints as to whether it was a one time thing or if it has happened before but the fabric prevented any issues. Usually with spandex blend materials, you will get a thinner spot where it rubs, or before that happens, it will pill.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

You sure that is just chafing?  Kinda looks to me like you might have had a reaction to something or other.... are you on any kind of meds, etc? Did you put any kind of lotion on your legs before you began the run?  Something like that?

Whatever it is..it looks painful!   Wishing you speedy healing!  My wife swears by lavenderr to help promote healing for stuff like this, she has a little spray bottle of the stuff and uses it quite diligently.  I used it on my knee scrapes after I took a fall and it actually did work quite well.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Holy shit, Julie.  Add me to the list of people who think it's possible you're having a reaction to something else.  I have scars on my back from chafing (carrying a pack for 100K) and this is way worse.  The pattern just doesn't seem right for chafing from running.  I'm not sure how you could run and have your calves rub together that much and only on one side.  Plus the crease in your knee.  Something just doesn't add up here.

Running is dumb.

#artbydmcbride

Were you sweating more than usual?  Sometimes sweaty skin will adhere to other skin more than when it is dryer.

Runners run

happylily

Mandy, Scotty and Ilene, I came up with some sort of scenario but I know it sounds totally bizarre... First, there is the bad back and the fatigued legs. That might have been the cause of some seriously bad gait during my race. Secondly, and I'm really embarrassed to admit to this... I was not lying about the not shaving my legs part. I had shaved my legs 4-5 days before the race and I don't know about you, but when it comes back, it's very prickly (sorry for the mental image. Not very lady like...). Thirdly, and this will sound even more weird, I had my hair done on Saturday morning. As usual, the hairdresser put a crap load of products in my hair. Would it be possible that the chemicals in them ran down my body, mixed in the sweat from my head, and when they reached the chafed parts, they burned the skin? Because that's what it felt like, burns. Not itchy, but really burning through the skin.

Today, the chafing is almost all gone from the left leg (pictures #2 and 3). But the right leg has a deep cut at the knee level and that is not healing well.

B-Plus