Beginners and Beyond

Kinvara 3 versus Kinvara 4 (Read 61 times)

Who has experience running in the Kinvara 3 and the Kinvara 4? I'll have to update my rotation of running shoes soon. I'm wondering whether I should spring for the 4 or scour the internet for deals on the older model.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I haven't run in the 3's, but I have a pair of 4's and like them for faster stuff. I can't run in neutral shoes for very long distances or my right foot gets cranky.

I know the 5's should come out in May, so the 4's will go on sale if you can hold out a bit longer. Meanwhile there are still some 3's here and there.

Zelanie

I just bought a pair of K4s that I should run in sometime soon- I mostly run in the 3s.  In the store they felt the same, for what it's worth.

Several of my teammates last year wore Kinvaras, and most felt that they were pretty much the same.  One person didn't like the heel in the K4's, though.  Maybe they made the heel cup deeper, or higher, or something like that?

I'll let you know what I think after I've run in mine.

Antipodean

I have retired a pair of 3s and have currently two pairs of 4s that I run in. I preferred the 3 except that it caused a blister on my left second toe on long runs. I find the 4s good but it's like the toe box stretches or something. It doesn't feel like it used to, if that makes any sense. My older pair of 4s have also ripped a bit in the upper on the outside just by the base of my little toes (both sides). Weird. The 4s are still the best I've got though.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

LRB

I do not wear Saucony's but they make some fly ass looking shoes!

The colors, designs and styles are second to none.  I would love to try them but they make about 65 different neutral pair of shoes, as opposed to like three pair of stability.  

Birdwell

I do not wear Saucony's but they make some fly ass looking shoes!

The colors, designs and styles are second to none.  

+1!

these are my favorite shoes ever right now.

I just feel fast when I wear them, and red is the best color ever.

these are my second favorite (black/slime)

When the sun hits them just right the overlayer (?) looks like fish scales (think the way a rainbow trout looks on a bright day)

totally awesome.

Zelanie

Just back from a MLR in my new K4s, and to my feet they felt just like the 3's but nice and new!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

+1!

these are my favorite shoes ever right now.

I've got 447 miles on pair exactly like that, size 11.

I want to try out a different offering from Saucony. Something with an 8mm drop instead of 4mm, just to see how they feel. I also want to try out a more recent offering of the Wave Rider from Mizuno. Smile I think those are going to be on my list this year.

- Andrew

Strict WTF adherent

I prefer the 4 to the 3. Much of that is just a matter of personal fit, but the 4 feels a little firmer. The 3 always seemed kind of dead to me. That said, I find it extremely difficult to snug the laces comfortably on the 4. They always seem too lose at the bottom and too tight at the top.

I've run races up the marathon in the 4 and didn't die. YMMV.

Thanks for the comments. I think that I'll spring for a pair of the 4s, as well as the latest version of the Virrata.

Andrew, my most recent rotation included the Ride 5, which had an 8mm drop. The moderate profile was uncomfortable.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Thanks for the comments. I think that I'll spring for a pair of the 4s, as well as the latest version of the Virrata.

Andrew, my most recent rotation included the Ride 5, which had an 8mm drop. The moderate profile was uncomfortable.

Thanks Basya. I was checking out the Ride 5. I noticed the Virrata has a fair amount of cushioning but is a zero drop shoe. Maybe that's the route to go instead? I wanted more cushioning and thought the larger heal to toe drop would give me that, but maybe this should be the route I should go.

- Andrew

Zelanie

Virratas are like $42.95 at running warehouse right now with the discount code.  I got myself a pair that should be here soon!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I went with an 11 with my Kinvara 3's, which is a half size up. Do you think I should go with an 11 in the Virratas, or stick with my normal size?

- Andrew

Andrew, I wear the same size in the Kinvara 3 and the Virrata. The cushioning of the Virrata is quite nice. are you used to a zero-drop shoe? That would be my only concern. (I didn't have any trouble, but I wear zero-drop shoes every day.)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Andrew, I wear the same size in the Kinvara 3 and the Virrata. The cushioning of the Virrata is quite nice. are you used to a zero-drop shoe? That would be my only concern. (I didn't have any trouble, but I wear zero-drop shoes every day.)

Nope, it would be an experiment. Smile I wear the Kinvara which is 4mm for half of my runs.

- Andrew