Beginners and Beyond

Week 30: Hey Penguins, is it hot enough for ya? (07/22-07/28) (Read 6 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy Penguins!  This is actually Hot Enough For Ya Day, which just makes me shake my head.  Someone has too much time on their hands!  And we're supposed to have rain all day (and tomorrow, and the next day), so it's not actually all that hot.  Muggy, yes.

Anyway, the threat of impending rain kept me from cycling this morning, which is bleh.  It'll be a crazy week here -- my mom is having her other hip replaced today, I have my technician interviews tomorrow, hopefully I will get a service engineer for my instrument at some point this week, plus I have samples to run, and my quartet is singing for my church on Sunday.  Guess I should dive in!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 5 miles and OTF, and yes, it's hot enough for me and I hate it, lol.  Hitting 100F heat indexes in like a minute.

Boo at not cycling this morning.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

It's not that hot, but we have dew points in the 70s again so it feels like it. Today is a rest day though, so all I have is a long walk with Ben and probably some yoga or stationary bike this afternoon - down in the cool dry basement.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, today is INTERVIEW DAY!!  I have three candidates for my tech position, and I have them scheduled at 10, 11, and 1.  Hopefully by this afternoon, I will know who I'm offering the job to, and perhaps will even have a backup person.  Then I need to touch base with HR to make sure I don't make any missteps in the offer, etc etc.  Good times!

Didn't cycle in this morning -- too rainy, plus a flash flood watch.  Tomorrow might be better, but Thursday and Friday look really good.  Woo-hoo!!

And my mom's hip replacement surgery went pretty well -- some issues with her blood pressure, but that's looking better this morning.  Now rooting for no infection!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and 5 miles tonight.

HopesMom, good luck with the interviews.  Hoping you find a good candidate.

Ginny, hoping you enjoyed the rest.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope you find a good candidate. Good news about your mother.

D - have fun at Pilates and with your run.

AFM: Not hot but very humid. We walked Ben in a light sprinkle which was a huge improvement from the deluge that I woke up to.  I'll run something today, but don't know how long or where. If the rain stays light, I think I'd rather run outdoors though the humidity makes it hard to breathe. .

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!!  There are forecasts of thunderstorms this afternoon, but it was only sprinkling when I got here, so I cycled in and I'll just hope for the best this afternoon.  We'll see what happens.

Well, my job candidates.  There were three, and I have no idea how I'm going to decide whom to pick.  One is marginally more qualified, but her personality is extremely reserved, which was also mentioned in one of her reference letters.  Since there will just be the tech and me in the lab for most days, I really want someone whom I can also talk with on occasion.  Also, she was very intense -- had researched the lab, had several questions to ask me, had a 5 year plan for the lab, etc.  I'm worried that she would be quite bored in our downtimes, and our work always comes in waves.

Then there were two others, both of whom I think would work out just fine, and both of whom had more open personalities.  Roughly equal qualifications.  One is a pretty recent graduate, trying to get a job while he figures out how he wants his career to go.  The other is working for a contract lab, and her job runs out in August, so she needs a new job.

Neither had really stellar recommendations, or much of anything that made them stand out.

But I need to decide soon, because I need somebody soon!

DH suggested drawing a name out of a hat.  Hmm ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

She had a plan for your lab?  That's a bit extreme!

I never ran yesterday because I got home late.  I have the 5 I missed and kickboxing.  My BP is back to super high, so I had to start the meds again, sigh.  Hoping it's not forever and I can leave them like last time (2 years off it).

Damaris

GinnyinPA

D - does the asthma medicine (prednisone?) cause your blood pressure to rise along with your weight?  Aside from making you pee often, does the BP medicine have side effects or is it just that you don't want to be taking more meds?

HM - sounds like the first candidate is after your job already. Of the other two, which has the most important qualifications - i.e. a reputation for showing up every day?

Thunderstorms are forecast for later, but so far it's dry. Time to go walk Ben.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Prednisone can but I'm off it and has been off it for close to 2 weeks.  We thought that was it since I've had three days of normal BP but I am taking nothing right now that would explain the BP being at 158/108  and then back down to normal.  Those spikes are more dangerous than actually having high BP, but the meds normalize it.  Even with the meds I had 140/100 this morning (now it's normal).  I was off the BP meds for two years but my parents' genes are catching up to me (mom has been using BP meds since age 18).

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, so far only one of them has emailed me to thank me for the interview ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well, so far only one of them has emailed me to thank me for the interview ...

I can never remember to follow up with a thank you note this quickly, so maybe the others will later?  Although, that might be the decisive factor (unless it's the girl that wants your job, lol).

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

I had a couple of math questions in the interview, examples from what we actually do when samples come in.  I probably shouldn't share details, on the off chance that one of them is a runner, but their answers were enlightening.  They definitely approached the questions as math questions, not lab bench questions.

And nobody got both right. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I did get thank you emails from all three.  And I think I've decided, so it's time to start getting everything uploaded to HR.  They have to verify that I did everything in accordance with the rules, and my department head has to sign off on it, before a formal offer can be made.  But that should all go fairly quickly.

Woo-hoo!

Oh, and I got wet cycling back out to my car yesterday.  My bright red raincoat did its job, in keeping me both dry and visible, so that's all good.  And I didn't melt.