Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILIES are late to the dailies (Read 48 times)

DavePNW

Any thoughts on this.... I joined the McMillan Run team. For $25 per month it gets access to plans, prehab and Greg McMillan himself will answer your questions. I think it's a good package. That said, not sure it's for me. I feel like I fall between levels 2 and 3 of the plans. The paces it gives me based on my recent races, well, let's just say I haven't hit any of them. Easy pace is a good 1-2 minutes slower than the calculator says. At best, I can hit the pace for the short intervals. My goal race is 11/25. Should I stick with it until then? I feel kinda crappy seeing the paces laid out and my workouts never feeling close.

For the cost of 5 months of that, I got a 12-week McMillan plan customized for me, along with access to all that other crap useful information. (Honestly I'm not sure what all I have access to; they've listed a bunch of stuff but all I ever do is look at the workouts.) The plan was developed following my submission of an extremely detailed questionnaire. If you want to see what the questionnaire looks like, PM me your email address & I can send it to you. Paces indicated in the plan are generally challenging but achievable. He does have the easy pace a bit on the fast side, but I decided not to worry about that too much.

However you don't have much time before your race at this point. They do offer a 4 week custom plan for $80. I can't imagine what a 4 week plan looks like - 2 weeks running, 2 weeks taper. Maybe an option for next time around. In the mean time, I guess I would continue the workouts and adjust your paces to something that works for you.

Dave

delicate flower

BOOYA! Outstanding job. I just stalked your results. So far it has you 10/209 AG, 137/4073 OA. (The OA winner ran a freaking 1:02.) Paces showing for your 5k splits are 6:59, 7:00, 6:59, 6:58. Can't get any steadier than that.

Oh, and I could never run a 4 mile cooldown after a half. Blerg.

Good luck tomorrow!  Kick it in the ass.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job, Baboon!

In Detroit heading to the expo. Didn’t sleep last night so hoping I can nap.

Damaris

GEHamlin

Congrats Baboon.

Bread - people suck up here too. I do what you described doing. I don't see why I should re-route myself because people see fit to block up the main path. F that.

OFR - good luck!

I fell just short of 19 miles yesterday (I had to stop to shower to make it to my massage appointment). It was a great day for running and things are feeling pretty good. That's my last really LR. Next Saturday is a HM in NJ for easy running purposes only. Then it's taper-time.

SRD today (basically I was lazy and switched tomorrow's SRD to today), a few easy miles tomorrow am.

Half Crazy K 2.0

For the cost of 5 months of that, I got a 12-week McMillan plan customized for me, along with access to all that other crap useful information. (Honestly I'm not sure what all I have access to; they've listed a bunch of stuff but all I ever do is look at the workouts.) The plan was developed following my submission of an extremely detailed questionnaire. If you want to see what the questionnaire looks like, PM me your email address & I can send it to you. Paces indicated in the plan are generally challenging but achievable. He does have the easy pace a bit on the fast side, but I decided not to worry about that too much.

However you don't have much time before your race at this point. They do offer a 4 week custom plan for $80. I can't imagine what a 4 week plan looks like - 2 weeks running, 2 weeks taper. Maybe an option for next time around. In the mean time, I guess I would continue the workouts and adjust your paces to something that works for you.

Yea, this is where the issue comes in. I tend to adjust both pace and distance. Like today's workout calling for 14-16 between 10-11mm. Maybe on a non-humid day, 11 mm for my long run is doable, in this weather, I'm all about surviving. Time on my feet was probably about what it would be if I ran the 14 at the faster pace. For the interval workouts, he recommended sticking with the distance in the plan, which then changes the workout for me--I can't handle 5k pace for 1 mile or 1200m repeats. At that distance, I'm doing the intervals at tempo pace or slower since it has been hot & humid.

And that gets back to my original issue. If I am adjusting the pace and/or distance, why pay? I can do that on my own using any of the canned plans. I'm thinking pay through the end of the November race and call it a day.

zzyzx

Rest day rest day, you're the best day.

Sure I went on a 4 mile walk just to keep me moving, but I decided to take it easy for today.

Cyberic

Yea, this is where the issue comes in. I tend to adjust both pace and distance. Like today's workout calling for 14-16 between 10-11mm. Maybe on a non-humid day, 11 mm for my long run is doable, in this weather, I'm all about surviving. Time on my feet was probably about what it would be if I ran the 14 at the faster pace. For the interval workouts, he recommended sticking with the distance in the plan, which then changes the workout for me--I can't handle 5k pace for 1 mile or 1200m repeats. At that distance, I'm doing the intervals at tempo pace or slower since it has been hot & humid.

And that gets back to my original issue. If I am adjusting the pace and/or distance, why pay? I can do that on my own using any of the canned plans. I'm thinking pay through the end of the November race and call it a day.

Can't you write to them and ask those questions? Didn't you say you could and Greg himself would answer?

You're paying for professional service!

RunningOnSand

Half Crazy, yeah, since you're paying for a service, I agree with Cyber that you should be able to email them and ask. Don't they look at your workouts and readjust as necessary?

Baboon, damn nice race.

Hope the rest of you racers kicked some ass!

Gail, you had an awesome run today, too. Nice job.

Bread, I'm a really easy going person and rarely get upset, but it pisses me off to high hell when people don't have the decency to move. I mean, really???? Good for you for going right through.

Well, I managed to catch some sort of crud over the last week and came down with a fever - body aches & chills, sore throat, runny nose, all that goodness. Was happy that Thursday was my SRD. Missed my run yesterday b/c of said fever. Woke up this morning (after sleeping 11 solid hours!) feeling marginally better so did a treadmill run for my prescribed hour (suuuuuper easy paced). Finished that, showered, then realized I was still feverish so now I'm laying back down on the couch. Sigh. I'm realizing that drinking coffee made me believe I had super energy and powers and probably shouldn't have drank any this morning. Not that I really regret running. I'm just more annoyed with missing yesterday's run.

Bought The Lore of Running (thanks for the recommendation, OFR  (and I hope you and the lady are having a great race!) and am going to try to start wading through it. It is one very large book.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Detroit just sent an email about the possible cancellation of the race due to thunderstorms. So far, the rCe is up as usual but warning that the course might be evacuated. Oy.  Can they please cancel before I have to wake up at 5am?  Thanks.

Damaris

GEHamlin

ROS - feel better!!!

DavePNW

Detroit just sent an email about the possible cancellation of the race due to thunderstorms. So far, the rCe is up as usual but warning that the course might be evacuated. Oy.  Can they please cancel before I have to wake up at 5am?  Thanks.

Holy crap! It's one thing for you to bring the Miami heat with you, but did you have to bring the Miami t-storms?

Dave

oldfartrunner

Well, we got it done!  Not at all what I was hoping, just didn't have it  but a small 17 second PR none the less.  41:27, 5th overall, 1st over 50 Fart. The web-site has me as 6th and second over 50 running, but one got transposed from the 5k showing he won in like 32!  That would be a WR for 55-60! He didn't,  and I missed out on my cheesy AG medal. Sad  It was like 70-75 and we had a headwind up the home 1.4 miles, and it just broke my old azz.   One guy passed me toward the end, but I didn't care and he looked like 40s to me anyway,  or I might have raced his azz.

The wife got a fine 33 second PR (58:35), so she was pretty happy with that!  We are going to schedule races into Nov next year. It's just too hot to go after a PR until at least then in Phoenix.

Baboon: Nice job on your race!

BREAD: That sucks!

Nice LRs everyone!  ... ROS.  So you are going to attempt to read it! Good for you!  I love the section on how the Elites trained.  It will expand your running knowledge for sure.   I've always read stuff and cherry picked the stuff that seemed to work for me. Just about every coach has something you can use that will resonate with you.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Holy crap! It's one thing for you to bring the Miami heat with you, but did you have to bring the Miami t-storms?

Hey, they should be happy I didn’t bring a hurricane!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats, OFR.

Damaris

oldfartrunner

Congrats, OFR.

Thanks, and that really sucks about the possible cancelation!