Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (NSFW) (Read 52 times)

cjones1

A question for the ultra runners, especially the 24 hour variety.

My friend was talking to 'ultra man' (friend's name for him) at the park yesterday.  He says when he does a 24 hour run, he takes his own food with him because he doesn't like to stop.  If/when he gets fatigued, he slows down but doesn't stop.

Really?  Is it possible to propel yourself forward continuously for 24 hours, or is this guy just a little proud of himself?

How do you go 24 hours without using the bathroom?  Or do it without stopping?

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Half Crazy K 2.0

So, a question for all you guys who regularly run on hills, since I don't and really have no concept of what would be considered a rolling hill and what I would need climbing gear for.  I checked the elevation graph for my half next week, which I knew was hillier than the ones I've done before, but now I'm really wondering how much impact it will have.  Of course they advertise it as "fairly flat."  I suck at posting pictures, so I'll just describe the course:

Miles 0-5: 40 foot descent

Mile 5-5.75 or so climbs about 20 feet, and then 5.75-6 is down about 40 feet.

Miles 6-6.4 - 60 feet up to the turnaround. - This seems huge to me!

It's an out and back course, so of course I have to do this all in reverse.

So what do you think?

They would call that a flat course here in Maryland. Miles 6-6.4 will likely be the most noticeble. Run based on effort.

100 feet per mile is my usual here. Downhill, feels great. Uphill sucks.

How gradual is the change in miles 1-5?  This may feel harder on the way back if you have that really gradual upward slope.

DavePNW

The RA GarminConnect communicator is now randomly trying to import my workouts from three weeks ago that have already been imported.  Seems every time I come back here, there is a new workout sitting on my log.   LOL

I've had that, although not lately. Instead, this morning I got a message stating "an unknown error has occurred while importing your data file". Take that, log-stalkers.

Dave

cjones1

How gradual is the change in miles 1-5?  This may feel harder on the way back if you have that really gradual upward slope.

Pretty steady from 0-5.  That doesn't really worry me, although you're right, any uphill at the end is going to suck. Smile

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

LRB

I've had that, although not lately. Instead, this morning I got a message stating "an unknown error has occurred while importing your data file". Take that, log-stalkers.

My run didn't transfer to RA yesterday, so I loaded it manually. Then, it transferred.

LRB

Welp, I came in last in the miles game. Guess that makes me the biggest loser. Bawahahaha.

onemile

Welp, I came in last in the miles game. Guess that makes me the biggest loser. Bawahahaha.

Last for what?

LRB

Last for what?

My team placed last in the standings. We're done for the year.

onemile

Oh, I thought it was you, personally, in which case, at 60 miles, I would think you have some kind of star team or something.

DavePNW

I think it means *something*. But it is what it is and forcing them faster isn't the answer.  To me what it is is a measure of how tired I am and how much my workouts/weekly mileage are beating me up.

Certainly my easy pace is slowest when my overall training is the hardest. Some of them were brutally slow during the last cycle, especially in the first mile or two, or with any elevation changes.

As opposed to my "easy run" this morning. I don't necessarily look at my watch during easy runs. 8:59, 8:51, 8:47 (didn't see these, but this is faster end of normal easy), 8:24 (didn't see this one either), 8:19 (I did notice this one and was pretty surprised, but didn't try to slow myself down), 8:08 (saw that & figured at that point I might as well pick it up for the last mile), 7:39.

I guess I will call it a progression run. I guess my body is telling me it wants to do some harder workouts? (Did it already forget that HM?)

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

My friend was talking to 'ultra man' (friend's name for him) at the park yesterday.  He says when he does a 24 hour run, he takes his own food with him because he doesn't like to stop.  If/when he gets fatigued, he slows down but doesn't stop.

Really?  Is it possible to propel yourself forward continuously for 24 hours, or is this guy just a little proud of himself?

He's ignoring those little calls of nature, which is pretty hard to do for 24 hours. But yes, it is possible to keep moving forward for 24 hours. From what I've seen, all but the elite will walk at times to keep the forward motion. Many do take breaks ranging from a few minutes to a few hours and have even included leaving the race site to have dinner with a spouse or return to a motel room for a nap.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

I think we made the playoffs from the beginning, although I don't pay much attention to that stuff except when someone posts something in the FB group. We could be in some trouble if Damaris actually plans to recover from her marathon. We'll try to talk her into jumping right back into 50mpw.

Dave

LRB

Oh, I thought it was you, personally....

Well I did say that *I* came in last, and since we know there is no I in team, your assumption was the correct one.

LRB

We could be in some trouble if Damaris actually plans to recover from her marathon. We'll try to talk her into jumping right back into 50mpw.

I'm pretty sure she's running a marathon either this weekend or next.

StepbyStep-SH

When I did my 24-hour 3 years ago, and went into it well-trained, I stopped moving for three things: bathroom breaks, to change shoes/clothes, to eat one bowl of soup noodles (I drank the broth from a cup as I walked, but did actually sit down to eat the noodles). I ran most of the first 6-8 hours, about half of the next 6-8 hours, then walked for several hours before being able to pick up and run again for the last 15 minutes. My longest breaks were about 5 minutes each for the clothing/shoe changes and the noodles. I tried to just grab food from the table and keep moving as I ate, rather than stopping each time around. So, yes, it is possible.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.