Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (NSFW) (Read 52 times)

Mmmmm...beer

So, a question for all you guys who regularly run on hills, since I don't and really have no concept of what would be considered a rolling hill and what I would need climbing gear for.  I checked the elevation graph for my half next week, which I knew was hillier than the ones I've done before, but now I'm really wondering how much impact it will have.  Of course they advertise it as "fairly flat."  I suck at posting pictures, so I'll just describe the course:

Miles 0-5: 40 foot descent

Mile 5-5.75 or so climbs about 20 feet, and then 5.75-6 is down about 40 feet.

Miles 6-6.4 - 60 feet up to the turnaround. - This seems huge to me!

It's an out and back course, so of course I have to do this all in reverse.

So what do you think?

Sounds pretty flat to me, but then again this is my usual 7-8 mile route:

A question for the ultra runners, especially the 24 hour variety.

My friend was talking to 'ultra man' (friend's name for him) at the park yesterday.  He says when he does a 24 hour run, he takes his own food with him because he doesn't like to stop.  If/when he gets fatigued, he slows down but doesn't stop.

Really?  Is it possible to propel yourself forward continuously for 24 hours, or is this guy just a little proud of himself?

I guess it's possible.  When I do my 100 miler in May, I plan to keep moving as much as possible, but I'll stop when I have to (bathroom, gear change, etc.).  But I will do my best to keep my stops brief and infrequent.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

I think we made the playoffs from the beginning, although I don't pay much attention to that stuff except when someone posts something in the FB group. We could be in some trouble if Damaris actually plans to recover from her marathon. We'll try to talk her into jumping right back into 50mpw.

Tell her it's OK to take all the recovery she needs over the next 3 weeks! 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Finally am registered for a 5k this weekend. Called the Chamber of Commerce again since it seems they are not going to reopen online registration. They gave me the early rate, so yay!

Zelanie

Finally am registered for a 5k this weekend. Called the Chamber of Commerce again since it seems they are not going to reopen online registration. They gave me the early rate, so yay!

Good work! Smile My spring marathon was a chamber of commerce event, and it took me a while to get through to them when they didn't have me in the results. I figured that the chamber was most likely staffed by people who also have other jobs.  They came through in the end, but it took a while.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Good work! Smile My spring marathon was a chamber of commerce event, and it took me a while to get through to them when they didn't have me in the results. I figured that the chamber was most likely staffed by people who also have other jobs.  They came through in the end, but it took a while.

The race got rescheduled from the first week in October due to the flooding fears and state of emergency. Thus weekend us the Baltimore running festival, so it is rare to find anything else within 45 minutes. Now I just have to figure out how to dress for a 35 degree morning, which is a huge sudden drop. It's been upper 50s at the coldest.

onemile

Now I just have to figure out how to dress for a 35 degree morning, which is a huge sudden drop. It's been upper 50s at the coldest.

Tank / Arm Warmers / Shorts

LRB

Tank / Arm Warmers / Shorts

With gloves and a long sleeve top for your warmup jog. Once you're done with that and ditch them, it'll feel wonderful!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think we made the playoffs from the beginning, although I don't pay much attention to that stuff except when someone posts something in the FB group. We could be in some trouble if Damaris actually plans to recover from her marathon. We'll try to talk her into jumping right back into 50mpw.

I lack time this week but working on it!!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Tell her it's OK to take all the recovery she needs over the next 3 weeks! 

Don't worry. We'll only need two.

Damaris

DavePNW

IT'S ON!

Dave

Zelanie

Good point. You'll have the whole rest of the year to recover after these two weeks are done. Smile

DavePNW

Good point. You'll have the whole rest of the year to recover after these two weeks are done. Smile

OH NO SHE DI'INT!

Dave

And I don't love every pumpkin spice flavored thing.

This is the only truly important one.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Stop portraying. You will do fine after the playoffs even when eliminated. Don't go crying already, though.

Damaris

Cyberic

This is the only truly important one.

I have pumpkin ale every year, but haven't had one yet this year. I can't handle alcohol anymore. When I started marathon training, I gradually decreased my drinking up to about 2 berrs per week, and light beers at that (session IPAs).

Now when I have 2 pints of craft beer, I start talking and laughing real loud... like someone who can't hold his liquor 

I'm glad I discovered Session IPAs: very hoppy light beers. I can have a few of those Smile