Beginners and Beyond

Hey hey hey, Monday Penguins!! (Read 16 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had a busy 3-day weekend!  Friday we went over the mountain and volunteered at an organization run by a friend of ours, which matches up needy families with stuff they need, like furniture, clothes, diapers, toilet paper, etc.  DH spent the day moving furniture, and I was sorting clothes.  I was so tired that I fell asleep as soon as I got home, and DH had to wake me for dinner!  Saturday I spent the day cooking -- I made cupcakes for DH's birthday, then a batch of cookies and a chicken casserole for a friend who had back surgery.  We took the food up to them (not the cupcakes, of course) and then went out for DH's birthday dinner.  And then yesterday was laundry and "try not to get hammered by the heat" day.  Whew!!  So of course I haven't run since what, Wednesday?  Hoping to get back to that this evening, assuming the scattered thunderstorms don't happen during my short available run slot!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Saturday, I volunteered at the San Antonio RoadRunners Women's 5K.  I was a course Marshal and was at a really good spot to take a lot of photos of the ladies running.  So many Great Legs out there and I could not chase any of them!    Here is a photo report I did of the event: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/f839d11de6d44ac9ad77c8deecec4bac/resume#focus

After I finished my volunteer duties, I then went to nearby Fort Sam Houston and got in my own run of 3 or so miles.  I did my "Dog Alley" route and took doggie treats with me; but it was near 10 a.m. by then and the temp was already in the low 80s, so most of my canine pals were in their a/c cooled houses, smart.  I only saw one of my doggie pals out, and she was out with her human playing on a slip n slide in her yard, lol, keeping nice and cool.  It was fun watching her playing in the water; however when she saw me she did take a break and come get a treat.

Sunday I met up with a friend at a local park I've never been too.  I am very lucky in that San Antonio has a ton of local parks I can do off-road running in.  This one was "new" for me so I enjoyed it exploring it, and took some photos too:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/b7bf2f7f4c1448ae8fb56d85662c8d61/resume#focus

Today is a rest day for me.   I usually run after work on weekdays but this week it will be a.m. running before work, as our "real" Texas summer is finally starting to arrive, with high temps all this week of 98 and 99 and the heat index "feels like" temp going over 100 degrees.  With all the rain we've had here this year, we've been really lucky, our temps for Texas summer have been below average - usually we have a 100-degree day by June 30 - but now Mother Nature here is starting to get back to normal.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have 7 miles on the TM tonight.  Maybe weights.

Hope, glad you had a three day weekend but now you need a day off to rest.

Damaris

LRB

Hey, hey, hey. Being a Penguin is okay. 

Okay it sounds much better hearing it in my Fat Albert voice than it does reading it.  

Zelanie

Hey pens!  We are leaving tomorrow to visit my family in Colorado, so there's lots to do!  But in the mean time, I have a run, a walk, and a weight watchers meeting planned.   Priorities, you know?  Planning for 8 this morning, and a walk with DH later on.

HsM- At least you are getting plenty of recovery for that knee between runs!  How about those PT exercises?

Scotty- Sounds like a blast!  Enjoy the RD!

D- Enjoy the Monday miles.

LRB- Hey, hey, hey!

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM- At least you are getting plenty of recovery for that knee between runs!  How about those PT exercises?

Oh yeah, still doing those.  I don't think my knee will stay smacky without them!

Amazonian Princess

Trying to decide between URD because I called in sick with a wonky stomach or 3-4 miles tonight when the sun goes down, depending on how warm it'll be 

Um, I have a weird and slightly gross question: how long does it take for GI issues attributable to Gu to start? I've taken it for long rides before, (half a Salted Caramel gel an hour in) but last Saturday I took half during my longish run/walk because I was dragging (and felt much better) but on Sunday (thru last night) I've had GI issues. Said issues could be for other reasons (i.e. viral) but I was curious if it could be that I'm okay with Gu to ride but need something different when running (?) What's been your experience?

I can. I will. I am. 

Zelanie

Bacon, glad you're feeling better! Any issues I've has with GU have come on 10-20 minutes after I've taken it. So hopefully this was just a random thing.

HsM- Glad that the PT exercises are so much a part of the routine now that they're an afterthought even on a busy week! That is awesome!

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - sounds like a fun weekend.  Hope you get a walk/run in soon.

Z - at least Colorado should be cooler, though running at altitude can be tricky.  Have a good trip.

Scotty - You also had a good weekend, it sounds like.  Good luck with your early morning runs this week.

Damaris - I hope your run and weights went well.

LRB - Hey hey hey to you too.

Bacon - I've had off and on issues with gels/gu etc.  Nothing awful, just cramps soon after taking them and/or diarrhea later.  For me, it took time to get used to them. The longer I practiced with them, the easier it was to tolerate them.  I also learned that it went better if I only took a little at a time and spread out the intake for a mile or so, with water somewhere in the middle.  When I did the marathon, I tried something I read on RW about taking them earlier in the run rather than waiting.  It seems that it is harder for the blood to get directed to the stomach later in the run, so digestion gets weird.  If you take something early, supposedly the digestion never gets a chance to go inactive.  I tried it in the race and had no problems.  (Gatorade at every other water stop, gel and water at about 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20).

We drove down to Front Royal, VA to visit a friend and eat lunch at a Thai restaurant, then I hopped on the TM as soon as we got back home.  After 3 hours in the car and a couple of hours at the restaurant, I was stiff!  My six miles were slow and never felt good, but I got it done.

Zelanie

Ginny- I know that stiff feeling after being in the car!  I used to blame running, but now I wonder if that's something that would have happened anyway, I just notice it more because I want to run afterwards.

I found the marathon on Youtube.  There are a bunch of them, so I just played one on my tablet.  I chose NYCM 2013 thinking that it would have cool New York scenery, but it turned out to be an interesting  race among the women.  I hear that the Berlin marathons are good watches, but I wasn't sure it would keep my attention since the audio was in German.  I heard that the Houston marathons are not so great because the coverage tends to focus on the midpackers, so you feel hot and slow right alongside.  With the races focused on the leaders, you can "race" them to see if you finish your run before them. Smile