Beginners and Beyond

The FIFTH (Read 57 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Blue, glad to see you. Hope your foot continues to improve.

Damaris

DavePNW

Felt like popping off an 18 today. So I did.

Then I felt like ESU. So I did.

Not 100% satisfied with the pace; I was shooting for 8:40ish, but my body was stuck on 8:50ish for most of the run. Till the last 4 miles when I progressively picked it up from 8:30ish down to ~8:20.

More importantly, I was 100% satisfied in the ESU department. See French toast pic posted a while back.

63.6 miles for the week, longest of the year excluding all-star week.

Dave

Little Blue

"gee, I feel like running 18 " said only one person, ever.

OOTB, good news on the foot.  Don't threaten it with any big plans!

LRB

IKR?? You should have heard the bellyaching and whining I was doing last summer and I only ran two of them shits. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Felt like popping off an 18 today. So I did.

Then I felt like ESU. So I did.

Not 100% satisfied with the pace; I was shooting for 8:40ish, but my body was stuck on 8:50ish for most of the run. Till the last 4 miles when I progressively picked it up from 8:30ish down to ~8:20.

More importantly, I was 100% satisfied in the ESU department. See French toast pic posted a while back.

63.6 miles for the week, longest of the year excluding all-star week.

Great job!  Now lend me your mojo.

Damaris

DavePNW

Well OK, it was really more like I wanted to see one of those in my log. And since my name is not Mike Rossi, I could only think of one way to make that happen.

Dave

LRB

Well OK, it was really more like I wanted to see one of those in my log.

Except it's not.

Cyberic

Hi OOTB,

LRB, running less is sometimes the smart decision

DaveP, nice mileage

Cyberic

Don't understand this:

All calories burned estimators take into account your weight, and the distance you ran. Some, more advanced, will include incline. Speed does not seem to matter, as the faster you go, the less time it takes to run that distance, so it evens out.

Then if I don't burn more calories when I run faster, what makes me so tired? It is much more demanding to race 6.2 miles than to jog them. Same amount of calories burned?  What am I missing?

DavePNW

Don't understand this:

All calories burned estimators take into account your weight, and the distance you ran. Some, more advanced, will include incline. Speed does not seem to matter, as the faster you go, the less time it takes to run that distance, so it evens out.

Then if I don't burn more calories when I run faster, what makes me so tired? It is much more demanding to race 6.2 miles than to jog them. Same amount of calories burned?  What am I missing?

Because you burned the calories in a shorter period of time - rate of calories burned per minute was higher. (You might also ask "I'm so much more tired, how come I didn't get any farther?) "But calories = energy = a force applied over a distance. You are counteracting the force of gravity (of your body weight) for a certain distance. Running burns a bit more calories per distance than walking because there is more up-down motion - the total distance you are moving your body is actually the sum of horizontal & vertical components. So for this reason there is probably a little more calories per distance for running at mile pace vs recovery shuffle. But for normal range of paces it is not too significant.

(MTA with some more stuff added)

Dave

LRB

Well OK, it was really more like I wanted to see one of those in my log.

Thank you.

DavePNW

Thank you.

I thought about mentioning that I drove over to my favorite Sunday running spot, stayed in that area for ESU, and hung out for a while, so did not get a chance to load it till just now. But I figured you'd be the only one who cared. 

Dave

Cyberic

Because you burned the calories in a shorter period of time - rate of calories burned per minute was higher. (You might also ask "I'm so much more tired, how come I didn't get any farther?) "But calories = energy = a force applied over a distance. You are counteracting the force of gravity (of your body weight) for a certain distance. Running burns a bit more calories per distance than walking because there is more up-down motion - the total distance you are moving your body is actually the sum of horizontal & vertical components. So for this reason there is probably a little more calories per distance for running at mile pace vs recovery shuffle. But for normal range of paces it is not too significant.

(MTA with some more stuff added)

Makes sense. It does takes more "power" to burn the same amount of energy in less time. Calories are a measure of energy, time is, well, time, and usually the measure for power is watts. Unless there is another unit more appropriate for running. Why is power (watts) absent of running litterature when it is such a limiting factor to runners?

Zelanie

Woke up to a very sick puppy dog.   Poor thing is under the couch right now.  Hopefully we will get through without a trip to the e-vet.  We'll see.  In the mean time, I ran 9 on the TM and we're gearing up to watch the world cup final.

Thanks Dave, good explanation.  I'd always wondered that as well.

It has come to my attention that I'm subscribed to Running Times through 2020. WTH?