Beginners and Beyond

Week 34 Penguins, say cheese!! (08/18-08/24) (Read 8 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is World Photo Day, so get out there and take some pics!!  I am counting down the days before both the start of classes and my trip to Scotland, and I can't believe there are so few left!!  Plus our anniversary is Saturday and a couple of friends are giving a recital on Sunday, and I volunteered myself and DH to host their reception.    How did this get so busy, and will it slow down any before ... say ... next summer?  Actually, it'll probably slow down around December, because I'm not teaching in spring semester.  Craziness!

Yoga done today -- it was very good to get back to my usual routine.  Clearly it's the best choice for me.  Biking done also -- we're in the upper 90's this week, but down to the mid-80's next week.

I made a fruit pizza yesterday.  Yummy!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Nice job on the yoga and biking this morning. Sounds like you are enjoying your life. Why didn't you do your vacation before school starts? How long will you be gone? Are you planning on hiking while you're in Scotland?

SRD for me. We have 3-4 more hot days, then it's supposed to cool off for a bit. I will be very happy to see that. So will Ben. He is not handling the heat at all well.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  I have either 7 or my RD.  I'll decide tonight.

HopesMom, woot, Scotland!

Ginny, nice run.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

The Scotland schedule was mostly decided by one of our travelers who is receiving treatments for breast cancer.  I think we had to schedule around those.  Thankfully Labor Day showed up and gave me a gap in teaching, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go.  Woo-hoo!

I doubt we'll be doing a lot of hiking, since we have one traveler with breast cancer and another with leukemia.  I'm taking my hiking poles, though, because there will be at least a little wandering around.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Yoga done, and also biking.  I was expecting a monumental increase in traffic, since it's the first day of classes and there should be a lot of clueless people driving around, but it wasn't any worse than usual.  Maybe most people have MWF classes instead?  Guess I'll find out tomorrow!  But the lack of crazy was a nice surprise.  Woo-hoo!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Evening!  Didn't run yesterday, so I went to Pilates and then ran 7.

HopesMom, I was expecting a huge change in traffic yesterday but nope, classes started today and I almost didn't get to work in time even though I left earlier than yesterday. Glad yours wasn't bad.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Our local schools start on the 22nd, I think. It will mean more buses in the afternoon and backed up traffic in town, but afternoon traffic is pretty bad regardless so we try to avoid being in town late afternoons. My main issue with school will be more trash on our daily walks. The kids and parents waiting at the bus stop at the end of the street have the habit of dumping food and wrappers on the ground when the bus arrives. Ben loves it, of course, but I end up having to do trash patrol, which is irritating.

I ran 8 on the TM this afternoon, 4 at tempo pace.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, there was more traffic today.  Also lost freshmen, which are always sort of innocently adorable.  The friend of the lady who hit my car came over to see my shiny new bumper, and approved.  And I saw a hawk on the ground standing over a pigeon or squirrel he'd caught.  Making sure nobody messed with him or his kill.  It's a busy morning!

Skipped yoga today, because I'm a tired doofus.  Biked in, though.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 10 miles to run tonight.

HopesMom, enjoy the rehearsal!

Ginny, nice run.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

DH found a ground wasp nest while weed-whacking.  He picked up a few stings, but is feeling ok.  The video he took was a little scary!    They were clearly NOT happy about his weed-whacker!

Also, I have just learned that our university rec sports center has one-hour table massages, and can be purchased by non-members.  YES!!  Will have to try that out next month some time.

GinnyinPA

HM - that would be really nice. I'd like to get a professional massage, but don't feel like I can justify the cost. If I get as tight as I did last marathon cycle, I'll do it anyway. DH gives great massages, but usually only for about 5-10 minutes and not nearly often enough.

D - good luck with your 10 tonight. I have that tomorrow. Tonight is an easy recovery jog. When do you head for Indianapolis to house hunt and for Richard's interview?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Friday night!

HopesMom, eeek!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

So DH got stung a few times, but they're not bothering him much.  He's more troubled by the fact that he's not sure exactly where the nest is.  Yoga done this morning, at least the seated and reclining poses -- I was too lazy to get up off the floor after clamshells!  No biking though, because chorus tonight.  Quartet last night ran a little long, and then having only had a little pasta for dinner, I was starving.  Peanut butter crackers and a glass of milk fixed that, but then of course I was even later getting to bed, so I'm dragging a little this morning.  Weekend's coming!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ouch, HopesMom!

I have 7 miles tonight.

Damaris