Beginners and Beyond

Week 31 Penguins are sacrificing cheese! (07/28-08/03) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

This is definitely one of the weirder holidays, National Cheese Sacrifice Purchase Day.  And nobody seems to know how it got started or how to celebrate it.  Some say you should sacrifice some cheese to catch a mouse, or sacrifice some cheese in a recipe, or sacrifice something else to buy some expensive cheese ... so who knows?  There's cheese.  There's sacrifice.  Make it your own!

All that to say I probably won't have any cheese today.  Sheesh.  But I did do yoga and bike, and will walk later, so there's that.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

WTF is a cheese sacrificing day?  I am afraid to ask, ha.

I have either 7 or my RD.  Rooting for the RD.

HopesMom, Nice workouts.  Enjoy the walk.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

My walk was nice -- I saw a hawk.  Skipped yoga this morning ... why do I do this?    I always wish later that I'd done it, and I skipped it this morning to spend time with DH only to find he was out walking the dog.  So anyway, no yoga, but I did bike.  My tight muscles will make sure I hit the mat tomorrow ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  I never ran yesterday and my knee was achy so I took my RD.  Woke up with a sore throat but I think it's reflux.  I have been in the office for a bunch of days last week and this one so who knows what germs they gave me.

HopesMom, why do I do this is something I ask myself daily...

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, you'd think after 46 years I'd have a handle on this life thing, but I don't think anybody ever does.  You just take it day by day and roll with whatever happens on that particular day!

So after feeling sluggish and stiff all day yesterday, the motivation to hit my yoga mat was strong today, and it felt good.  Biking also done -- hopefully I won't get caught in a thunderstorm on the way out, but again, I will roll with whatever happens.  Quartet rehearsal tonight, and hopefully a walk this afternoon.  Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Glad yoga helped, HopesMom!

I have 10 with 3 X 2 @ HMP tonight.  In court today.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  So I went out yesterday afternoon to hop on my bike, only to discover that the front tire was flat flat flat!  I have the patch kit and everything I need to fix it in my office, but it was quartet night, and I thought it would be faster to hike out to the car, drive back in a load up, and then drive out, rather than fix the flat and bike out.  So that's what I did.  DH fixed the flat this morning, and said it was leaking around the patch seal from the original leak, so I might need to spring for a new tube.  We'll see.

Anyway, yoga done today, but no biking because of chorus rehearsal tonight.  And I also discovered that a nice long walk didn't irritate my butt, so there's that! 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon! Pilates for me.

HopesMom, boo at the bike.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - sorry about the tire.

I've been camping the past 4 days with Jim and Ben. I did a little hiking (very little) and a little running (again, very little). We had some thunderstorms, but it was good to be out in the cool green woods and away from the internet and TV for a while. Both Jim and Ben are getting older so our walks are getting shorter and slower.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ginny, awesome camping!!  Though I totally understand about shorter walks -- Dusty is really slowing down too.    I just finished listening to an Audible book called The 3-Day Effect, about the physical and mental effects of spending three days in nature.  It was fairly anecdotal, but there was also some science involved, checking people's cortisol levels, breath inhalation/exhalation evenness, cognitive function, brain waves, etc.  It seems that getting out into nature for three days has a strong calming effect and makes you more resilient to stress when you get back to real life.  It was entirely interesting, and makes me want to get DH to go camping, maybe in October.  September is pretty full with Scotland ...

Woke up late today so only did half my yoga routine -- I skipped the sun salutations and all the standing poses and just did the sitting and reclining poses.  Which means I feel like I did half my yoga.  Biked in too, and the tire seemed to hold.  I got rained on, this afternoon should be interesting ...