Beginners and Beyond

Running socks (Read 70 times)

Cyberic

Some time ago I went to an Asics outlet in New Hampshire and paid $10 for a pack of 6 pairs of socks. A couple of pairs have holes now and I am shocked at the high price of "running" socks.

The other day I bought a $20 pair of socks, thinking that maybe I'll feel the difference, but although they're now my best socks (as I said, my others are old), I'm not sure I want to pay that much for socks.

Do you guys actually use "running" socks, or just cheap socks you buy wherever they're cheap?

From the Internet.

Lately I've been buying nice running socks, but only as I find them on sale (mostly on Amazon). Got tired of the cheap ones wearing out so quickly. Thus far I have a pair of Swiftwick and a pair of Thorlo that I really like, and I also have Balega's "value" socks that I got last March (Zulu, think they were $12 or 15 for 3 pairs?) and they've held up really well.

Little Blue

I don't run many miles, so my socks last a while.  But I've had decent luck with Asics from Amazon.  Of course, i don't run in sub-zero temperatures, so I don't need heavy duty socks.  Your mileage will no doubt vary, in every respect.

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Unisex-Cushion-3-Pack-Medium/dp/B003XIHVYO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1423605872&sr=8-4&keywords=running+socks

StepbyStep-SH

I like nice socks. I cough up the $10-15/pair for SmartWools about half the time; then pick up some cheaper ones at TJMaxx, too.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Cyberic

Of course, i don't run in sub-zero temperatures

I don't mind paying much for my winter socks, because I figure they do something special, whick is keep my feet warm in my normal running shoes in sub 0 temps.

happylily

My favorite running socks are just no name sports socks. They are short and of a thicker cotton. I don't like very thin socks, even in the summer. And I don't like paying $10-20 for one pair of socks. I'm cheap on things like that.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

My favorite running socks are just no name sports socks. They are short and of a thicker cotton. I don't like very thin socks, even in the summer. And I don't like paying $10-20 for one pair of socks. I'm cheap on things like that.

And where do you buy them? At Sports Experts? Sears?

happylily

And where do you buy them? At Sports Experts? Sears?

Yes, places like Sears, the Bay, etc... And maybe Winners? I can't remember. I buy packs. You remind me that I need new socks. Been running with holes in them and they give me small blisters. Maybe I'll look at Costco next time I'm there...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I tried some anatomically correct running socks and they blew. It wasn't the price I just did not like them.

I actually went through quite a few brands and styles before settling on the duo-dry CD socks from Target (pronounced Tar-zhay for the uninitiated) .

I think they're something like 15 bucks for 4 pair but the stupid things just work for me.

I go through about 8 to 12 pair a year.

delicate flower

My Bagela socks get old and crusty before I blow a hole in the toe.  To compare, I am happy if I get 10 rides out of a pair of bike socks before the toe explodes.  I've got 12-15 pairs of Balega socks in my drawer right now.  I love 'em.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

I like Balegas, except for winter when I where wool socks. The Balegas I stocked up when Holabird Sportsdid a buy 3 get 1 free deal. The wool ones are Teko, I found them on amazon.

For winter, I also layer a thin payer of Under Armour socks under them, those are pretty cheap and come in a 6 pack.

I like nice socks. I cough up the $10-15/pair for SmartWools about half the time; then pick up some cheaper ones at TJMaxx, too.

I like SmartWool, but eventually they get holes in the toes. Takes a while, but I just have it in my head that if you pay $13-15 for a pair of socks, they should last forever.

Dave

Birdwell

I only use Smartwool and Swiftwick.

Swiftwick is my new favorite. They last must longer than the smartwools.

I wore a brand new pair of smartwools out in one 18 mile run (it was a little wet, but one run shouldn't have done them in)

StepbyStep-SH

It seems as though it is my newer (purchased in the last 2-3 years) SmartWools that wear out so quickly. One of our local stores said they had sold out to a larger company and changed their manufacturing location ... wonder if the two are connected?

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

I'm starting to wear out most of my 6? pairs of cheap-ish Sauconys that I got in mult-packs at a place similar to TJ Maxx.  They're the low-profile kind with elastic around the arch.  But, they've lasted over a year, very good quality.

I have one pair of Balegas, great for racing, sadly a toe has a hole now.  I recently picked up a pair of Sofsoles that seem to have potential as well -- they feel very tough, crisp, and un-soft to the hand, but really nice and well-fitted once on the feet.