Beginners and Beyond

Back to the Salt Mines Mondailies (Read 43 times)

DavePNW

6 stiff & creaky miles. New shoes did not help. (New being 3 models behind.)

Dave

oldfartrunner

Morning Dave and other Runners,

Thinking 7/5 toady as I try 4 doubles this week. Smile ...It seems like with shoes the stiffer they are and longer it takes to break um in, the longer they last.

bluerun

Super B****

8.5 on the AlterG.  I went down to 20%, which is as low as it can go (and useless from a training perspective but helpful for my  mental state, which is really why I run) -- and my knee still hurt.  This is a problem.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

RD!

Damaris

zzyzx

seated dip, hip adduction, hip abduction, chin, horizontal calf, seated leg press

My normal exercise bike (calibrated differently than the others so I like to use it to be consistent in my reporting) was being used so I did 20 minutes on the elliptical (2.01 miles cross country) until it freed up and then I did 10 minutes (level 12 alpine setting 4.06 miles) on the bike.

Baboon

delicate flower

Rest day, sort of. Walking around Universal Studios all day. Garmin says I've walked five miles already. Currently eating.

<3

onemile

Rest day, sort of. Walking around Universal Studios all day. Garmin says I've walked five miles already. Currently eating.

are you sore enough or should have you raced harder? 

Baboon

delicate flower

are you sore enough or should have you raced harder? 

I am sufficiently sore.

<3

Runshortii

Walking around Universal the day after a marathon sounds awful.

SRD for me. Finally got my application approved for Chicago next year

DavePNW

I am sufficiently sore.

Any specific parts?

Dave

DavePNW

SRD for me. Finally got my application approved for Chicago next year

Awesome!

Dave

Obvs, you have your post race plan dialed in 

OFR, thanks for the tips on putting together a plan, I started looking via google this morning and immediately realized I have no effing clue what I'm doing.  Everything canned looks like it's geared to the "I run 10 miles a week, sometimes, but not always" crowd, or the "I'm Baboon, haha you mere mortals should not be attempting this shit" level runners.  I'm so confused!  Your idea seems pretty doable, and kind of what I was thinking this morning trying to work it out on my own.

7 easy this morning.  Also creaky.  Also new(ish) shoes.  After today's outing, they have 37 miles.  I need to poke around and see if I can hoard more on a Cyber Monday deal somewhere.  This was my last new pair 

Oh, I said my hubs beat me in the 5K (by literally exactly 2 minutes).  He also won his age group.

DavePNW

OFR, thanks for the tips on putting together a plan, I started looking via google this morning and immediately realized I have no effing clue what I'm doing.  Everything canned looks like it's geared to the "I run 10 miles a week, sometimes, but not always" crowd, or the "I'm Baboon, haha you mere mortals should not be attempting this shit" level runners.  I'm so confused!  Your idea seems pretty doable, and kind of what I was thinking this morning trying to work it out on my own.

Is this for the LA Marathon? My 2 cents, and YMMV - in the past 5 years I have run >12,000 miles and 9 marathons, and I still would never dream of trying to put together my own plan. There are canned plans available for a wide variety of mileage and experience levels, you should be able to find something. Although not from google. Most of the big-name plans you need to buy a book and/or pay for. (Other than Higdon, all his stuff is free on halhigdon.com.) Amongst the people here, we have tried just about everything, so might be able to slide you a copy of one of the canned plans under the table, if you're interested.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

LM, what was your goal for LA? Was it to have a decent experience? Or did you have a time goal in mind?

LM, what was your goal for LA? Was it to have a decent experience? Or did you have a time goal in mind?

Literally, my ONLY goal is to have fun.  I'm burned out right now with racing-racing,  so my "goal" is I want to finish the thing with a smile on my face.  Assuming this goes well, I think I'll be past the mental block, and can look at goals for the next one.

I know where I am, and I know what pace I could theoretically target (per the calculators) if I wanted to work that hard, but I really don't want to deal with the disappointment of almost hitting whatever benchmark.  If I have no time goal, I can't screw it up, you know?

So my goals are: don't get hurt training; enjoy the experience (no death march please); just keep running (no walking aside from aid stations); and finally, not be a total wreck for a month post-race.

Dave, I'm all ears.  I was told y'all would pick a plan for me, so if you've got ideas, throw them out there.