Beginners and Beyond

Spring SaturDAILIES (Read 24 times)

DavePNW

Hey, guess who’s got two thumbs and is getting vaccinated? This guy!! OK you can’t see the thumb gestures, but you can figure it out. It’s me. I didn’t hear about any state eligibility rule changes. I had signed up on the WA DOH site to get notified when I became eligible, and I woke up this morning to an email from them. Found a place giving vaccinations, and got an appointment for Monday morning. Plus an appointment for shot #2 in 4 weeks. Oh man this makes me happy. 

Got all that taken care of before leaving at 6:15 to meet my Saturday morning running group. It was a chilly, drizzly day, a little wind, typical Seattle winter. Although it should really be spring by now. Ran 12 with the group, then more on my own for 18 total. Longest run of the year. Celebrated my upcoming immunity by stopping at a really good deli to pick up some bagels and lox. Yum.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Hubby found me the N95 (thanks for telling me 10 months later you had an extra one) and I'll put the INB mask over it so I think that should be enough. We've never worn a shield but wondering if I should just for the flight.

The face shield can't hurt. It's meant to protect you from others and provides protection for your eyes.

ETA, N95 (assuming fitted) and face shield are fairly standrard in patient care. The second mask over the N95 is often to protect the N95 since they are being reused.

delicate flower

Awesome news, Dave P!!

<3

DavePNW

Now working on the race calendar. 

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Now working on the race calendar. 

Nice!  I'll be fully vaccinated for my spring half, but there aren't many other halves around until the fall.  I got an email for the fall Atlantic City marathon and didn't immediately delete it, so the madness may be returning.  The highlight of my day was my son joining me for the start of my run and completing 5k without any sort of break for the first time ever.  Puberty has made him stronger and more confident.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

LRB

Hey, guess who’s got two thumbs and is getting vaccinated? This guy!! OK you can’t see the thumb gestures, but you can figure it out. It’s me. I didn’t hear about any state eligibility rule changes. I had signed up on the WA DOH site to get notified when I became eligible, and I woke up this morning to an email from them. Found a place giving vaccinations, and got an appointment for Monday morning. Plus an appointment for shot #2 in 4 weeks. Oh man this makes me happy. 

Got all that taken care of before leaving at 6:15 to meet my Saturday morning running group. It was a chilly, drizzly day, a little wind, typical Seattle winter. Although it should really be spring by now. Ran 12 with the group, then more on my own for 18 total. Longest run of the year. Celebrated my upcoming immunity by stopping at a really good deli to pick up some bagels and lox. Yum.

Where you promptly ate the virus. Just kidding! Nice run and congrats on the news. For those who want the vaccine, it's like hitting the lottery.

DavePNW

Where you promptly ate the virus. Just kidding! Nice run and congrats on the news. For those who want the vaccine, it's like hitting the lottery.

Apparently all members of the US Congress are eligible for vaccination. However a full 25% of House members have opted not to. What a bunch of fucking morons.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great news, Dave.

And yes, they are fucking idiots, that's for sure.

Damaris

LRB

Is it a lasting motivation dump?

It's complicated.

The short answer is my running lacks purpose. The reason for that is a culmination of things that converged at a single point in my running life; the cancellation of last year's races, no goal race, contentment with my running achievements versus the remaining goal(s), the uncertainty surrounding the sport, the weirded out way in which race relations in my city flipped and I don't particularly care to be out running with thousands of conspiracy theory obsessed yahoos on the loose who were brainwashed into believing their country and their way of life was/is being threatened.

Of those, the lack of the big goal race would be weighted the heaviest, followed by the contentment caused by the pandemic (like, if I never race again am I okay with that? Yes.). The rest of it would've been worked around had there been a race on the calendar!

LRB

I ran 4 at the trail.

I had set out for 8 but my ADD kicked in at the 2 mile point and I lost interest and turned around. lol

Cyberic

It's complicated.

The short answer is my running lacks purpose. The reason for that is a culmination of things that converged at a single point in my running life; the cancellation of last year's races, no goal race, contentment with my running achievements versus the remaining goal(s), the uncertainty surrounding the sport, the weirded out way in which race relations in my city flipped and I don't particularly care to be out running with thousands of conspiracy theory obsessed yahoos on the loose who were brainwashed into believing their country and their way of life was/is being threatened.

Of those, the lack of the big goal race would be weighted the heaviest, followed by the contentment caused by the pandemic (like, if I never race again am I okay with that? Yes.). The rest of it would've been worked around had there been a race on the calendar!

All makes sense.

I also would be ok with never racing again as my remaining goal(s) are not necessarily finishing times. Sure it would be nice to beat my PRs again, but I'm ok with them.

I'm lucky that my running has purpose, as it is keeping me healthy. I enjoy the feeling of getting a run in first thing in the morning, and I also enjoyed the sense of purpose that run commuting gave to my running.

I have almost completely stopped to look at pace when I'm training. If I look at a metric, it will usually be HR. If I get slower by doing that, so be it. But I do not enjoy the feeling of going for pace all the time in training. I essentially run by effort, and look at my pace afterwards. For some reason, that makes a big difference for me.

By doing what I like and not doing what I don't like, I run consistently, and the rest is bonus.

I will enjoy training for a marathon again this summer, but I will cut down on the amount of training sessions and try that. Usually I get sick of marathon training way before the taper, and maybe by doing less, the pleasure will stay all the way through.

Hopefully races start again and you can find some mojo back.

GinnyinPA

LRB - it makes sense to me. I've had a hard time being motivated to do more the past year with races cancelled and my body continuing to act up. I do need to run though, partly so I can continue to eat like a longshoreman, but mostly for mental health. As frustrating as running can be sometimes, it is better for me than doing nothing.

It looked like spring today (sunny and low 50s) except for the lack of leaves on the trees. I did see crocus and daffodils in several yards. I ran 12.5 easy miles. It was actually a good run.

Half Crazy K 2.0

4 with some strides

DavePNW, great news on the vaccine!

onemile

LRB - I feel a lot of your post and feel bad re: the other part (race relations/idiots) 

Cyberic- solid LR workout!

DaveP - yay on scoring a vax appointment. That has to feel good.

I ran 10

KCRuns

4 on the treadmill