Beginners and Beyond

And you are? Thursday Penguins (Read 23 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Hi, I'm PADRunner and Today is Nametag Day!

No running this morning, I was out late at a concert, Caner Blows, 18 top horn players. Great concert.

The drive home was an adventure, 4-6 of snow on top of 1/4 ice dropped in. 25mph for 25 miles.

Not much compared to the NE but enough to make driving  suck. The snow helped give a little traction though.

No plows around these parts!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  13 with 2 X 3 @ MP done.  It was 80F at the end but not bad.  Pilates later.

Damaris

on my way to badass

Good morning Penguins!

Scary driving PAD!

Nice miles Damaris!

I have a bad hamstring.  Went cross country skiing on Sunday.  Probably should have taken it easy on Monday .  So I took yesterday off.  Easy running/walking today.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Zelanie

Wow, PAD, I guess the Texas groundhog must have seen a pretty big shadow!

SF- Hope the hammy heals up fast!

I am planning on 6ish, maybe with the social group, maybe not.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  Super snowy here in NYC so it'll be speed work on the TM for me.

I've been lurking a bit lately - my 90 year old grandmother died on Tuesday and I just feel really bad for my uncle.  He's been her primary caregiver for years.   We aren't going to do a funeral immediately because my family is spread around the country - we'll do a memorial service sometime in June.  Her dying makes me feel "old" as I now have no living grandparents.

PAD - enjoy your rest day

DR - great job on the early miles

SF - what do you think you did to your hamstring?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

sapf- I'm sorry for your loss.  Sending virtual hugs.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

sapf: Sorry to hear that. My last grandma died two years ago and she was 94. It's not easy but it will get better.

Hi everyone.

I will go out for some miles, hopefully 4 or 5,  later tonight.  Today I have my annual physical. "Turn your head and cough" and all that. I am already very hungry from missing breakfast and I will also miss lunch. Dumb blood work.

Have a good day.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning all!  Super snowy here in NYC so it'll be speed work on the TM for me.

I've been lurking a bit lately - my 90 year old grandmother died on Tuesday and I just feel really bad for my uncle.  He's been her primary caregiver for years.   We aren't going to do a funeral immediately because my family is spread around the country - we'll do a memorial service sometime in June.  Her dying makes me feel "old" as I now have no living grandparents.

PAD - enjoy your rest day

DR - great job on the early miles

SF - what do you think you did to your hamstring?

I am sorry for your loss.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

PAD - scary drive. Ice makes everything harder.

D - good job on the early run.

StoneFence - sorry about the hammie pain.  I hope it eases quickly.

Z - have fun with your six later.

sapf - I'm sorry about your grandmother.  I barely knew mine.  They were alive until I was in my late teens, but lived far away and reclusive.  My grandfathers died long before.

Jack - good luck with the check up.  I hope your ankle behaves tonight.

It's snowing here; only 2-4 inches expected, but it's coming down hard.  I'll probably do 4 or 5 on the TM later.  Ben seems to be doing better today.  Since we don't have a fenced yard, and it's blowing hard, I'm really glad not to have to run outside every 10 minutes.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Weird Texas weather! 70 degrees yesterday in San Antonio. This morning: 34 degrees with a windchill of 26 - which is COLD for we South Texans - but no rain or ice, so everything - schools, offices, etc. - is open. Yet in Austin, only an hour away north of us, they do have some precipitation and ice, so schools are closed/delayed.  High today of about 40 degrees; but at least the sun has finally made an appearance.  Nice and easy run/walk after work today in a local park...then going home to hibernate, as we may get some freezing rain tonite, sheesh.

March 5 Holidays:

Nametag Day

World Book Day

Image result for penguin reading how to book

National Absinthe Day

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

dang, PD, North Texas area got that much snow?  Glad I live in SOUTH Texas!

I wish it were 80 degrees here, Damaris!  I hate cold weather!

Sorry about the bad hamstring, StoneFence, hope that resolves quickly!

Good luck with the 6ish, Zelanie!  Remember to take it easy....you're older now... 

(((sapf))))   sorry for your loss

Good luck with the physical, Jack!  If they tell you "yes, you are still breathing" then that means at our age you are in good health. 

More snow, just what you wished for, huh Ginny?  Glad Ben is feeling better. Stay warm and safe!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hi Everyone,

Got my 3 tempo miles in this morning. Best part, was there was enough sunlight that I didn't need my headlamp. Woohoo! Then I realized, "Oh crud! Clocks move forward this weekend...back to the dark soon." 

PAD - When I lived in Texas (ages ago), snow was horrible for that area. Where the amount would be manageable for normal snow bunnies, North Texas is thrown for a loop. Hang in there.

SF - Take care of your hammie.

Zel - I've said this before...lucky you and your social group to run with. I'm jealous.

sapf - So sorry to hear about your grandmother. By summertime, maybe it will be a happy family reunion. Meanwhile, it's just nothing but sad.

Jack - I had my annual physical recently too (minus the cough ), but good for you to stay on top of your health visits.

Ginny - How much snow have you had this winter????

Scotty - stay warm and dry.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

tracilynn

it was 75° here yesterday and this is today solid sheet of ice under all that sleet!! 75 degrees yesterday!

That is sleet not snow.

Tried to run trails today but got to the entrance and trailhead is 4feet under water. Only got 1.5Mi today.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

sapf, sorry about your grandma. I hope you think of really happy memories.

PAD, we never saw anything like that when we lived in DFW!!

Damaris, nice running.

Traci, I can't believe your dentist runs a practice that way.  They know exactly how long a cleaning should take; ours schedules it so perfectly that I show up for a 9:30 appointment at 9:29 and I don't even have time to flip open a magazine before they call me back.  Maybe a hygienist called in sick?

SF, take it easy today.

Zel, have a nice 6.

Jack, good luck at the physical.  Too bad your bloodwork wasn't scheduled for early morning!

Ginny, glad Ben is doing better.

Scotty, I love the Penguin book graphic. Smile  You find such funny stuff.

Kathleen, hurray for running in the daylight...I'm not looking forward to the time change either.

4 easy miles done, plus 35 minutes of core and upper-body work at the gym with a trainer.  Still playing phone tag with the Allstate adjuster this morning.  Since I am pretty confident that they'll pay for the rental, I went ahead and got one last night.  Enterprise put me in a nice ride - keep your fingers crossed that Allstate will approve the upgrade; my wrecked car is a late-model Lexus and the Enterprise agent said they always approve a comparable car if you ask. Smile