Beginners and Beyond

Week 29, Who's cooking for the Penguins?? (07/15-07/21) (Read 7 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's National Personal Chef Day, so I will give a shout-out to DH, who does the majority of our grocery shopping and cooking.  Although I did bake him some cupcakes this weekend, since today is his birthday.

How was the race, Docket?  I gave DH a new video game for his birthday, and I gave it to him on Saturday, so we could spend all weekend playing it.  Yeah, I was totally thinking of HIM! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Race went meh. Couldn’t breathe in this elevation so I was slow but the race was a ton of fun!

I am traveling back home today.

Hoping you enjoyed that video. Smile

Damaris

GinnyinPA

I wish I had a personal chef. Unfortunately, Jim only makes a couple of dishes (pancakes and scrambled eggs) so that leaves it to me. OTOH, he likes the salad bar at the grocery, so tonight we'll eat salad and I won't have to touch the stove.

I'm back after 11 weeks on the road. Hot and humid here, so I'll do some miles on the TM later. I haven't managed much running this summer, only two or three times a week, so it will be interesting to see how returning to regular running goes. Many of my summer runs were trail runs, so really slow.

Singer who runs a smidge

Welcome home, Ginny!!  I used to eat at the grocery store salad bar a lot in college, but now that our nearest grocery store salad bar is ... hmm, not sure where there's one around me!  Anyway, not close.  My stipulation for DH is that he's not allowed to feed me the same thing for lunch as he feeds me for dinner.  Which is a stretch sometimes ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  Back at the office with only 2-3 hours of sleep and a delayed flight last night.  Pilates and 3 miles tonight.

Ginny, count me in for a personal chef too.  Hoping the weeks on the road were fun at least!

HopesMom, morning!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Docket!!  I didn't cycle in this morning, which turned out to be a good thing, because my secondary air handler isn't working and it's about 97 in my lab.  So I would've arrived sweaty and stayed that way!  But I'm carrying a carpool passenger home this afternoon, and it's supposed to rain, so the trike stayed in my car.  Rest of the week should be better (assuming they ever show up to fix the air ...)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I ended up not running last night, as I got home from Pilates to a house full of vomiting and some poop.  It was the cats' nice way of saying they missed me, awwww.

I have 4 miles tonight and something else. Stuck in Broward with a flat tire but made it to the courthouse so at least there is that.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, Docket, you've having an adventurous evening and morning!

My hair is getting long enough to annoy me, even with wearing it in headbands.  Until I get a new technician, I'm not comfortable shutting down the lab to go get a haircut, though, so it's just going to have to annoy me for another month or so.  I figure in the grand scheme of things, it could be worse!  Feels weird tickling my shoulders, though.  I think it's been years since it's been this long!

Singer who runs a smidge

Day 3 of Dang It's Hot in my Lab, but there's an end in sight.  The contractor is on site and says I'll be up and running by 2:30-3:30 this afternoon, barring unforeseen weirdness.  This contractor has worked on my system before, and seems to know what he's doing.  One of the facilities guys is chatty and friendly, and he says that there are 3 HVAC technicians -- him and two others.  He said the last facility guy that worked on my system messed it all up.  I dunno, because what do I know about HVAC systems?  But I'm glad to hear things will cool down this afternoon.  I'll leave my instruments off tonight and let the lab cool down, then fire things up tomorrow and let them cool and pump down over the weekend, then try putting everything back together on Monday.  Fun times!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I spent all day in Broward which I didn't want to do since I'm not going back to the office until Monday, but at least I had an office to work at and no need to take time off.  The tire was ready after 3:30pm, of course. -_-

I have Pilates and 5 tonight.

HopesMom, hope they fix the AC soon!

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - since you aren't using your instruments, can you do some of your work in a building with AC instead?  This is not the time of year to be working without it.

D - Big trial this week?

I ran yesterday (5 miles) but will do something else today. After only running 3 days a week for the past 3 months, I need to build up to 5 more gradually than I'd like. At least, that's what my legs told me last night.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Fortunately, not.  Just lots of cases in one day, as my judge had a week off on the 4th so he is behind. Nice 5.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

This is definitely not the time to be working without AC, but I need to be here for the contractor, so that I can move equipment, unlock the doors, and generally advise what can and cannot be stood on.  I wore shorts yesterday, even though that's a big no-no for the lab, because without instrumentation I'm not running experiments or using chemicals, so I figured the safety issue was sort of moot.  I wore jeans today, since I had a lunch meeting and wanted to look slightly professional.  Hopefully the chill will be back tomorrow!

Singer who runs a smidge

They're charging my AC now, say I should start to see some cooling in a half hour or so!

I think I stunned them when I rode up this morning on my trike.