Beginners and Beyond

WTF Wednesdailies (Read 31 times)

Runshortii

Work has been crazy lately but there is a bright spot-- a project that I worked on a few years ago has started human trials for treatment of Parkinson's disease (I'm a scientist at a pharma co). This is why I do what I do

That’s awesome!!

SRD for me

LRB

'Sup. I had my bowel incursion colonoscopy this morning (Propofol for the win!). The doctor noted that my bowel prep was excellent. And why wouldn't it be, I'm a runner ffs. Cleansing the colon is something we excel at, fool. Anyhoo, my colon is as clean as the board of health, so it'll be 10 years before I have to endure that nonsense again, TYVM.

I haven't run yet this week, mostly because I haven't felt like it. Looking to get back at it tomorrow morning, in the dark. Great (not really).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That’s awesome!!

SRD for me

+1

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

'Sup. I had my bowel incursion colonoscopy this morning (Propofol for the win!). The doctor noted that my bowel prep was excellent. And why wouldn't it be, I'm a runner ffs. Cleansing the colon is something we excel at, fool. Anyhoo, my colon is as clean as the board of health, so it'll be 10 years before I have to endure that nonsense again, TYVM.

I haven't run yet this week, mostly because I haven't felt like it. Looking to get back at it tomorrow morning, in the dark. Great (not really).

Thanks for the information...I think.

Glad everything looks good with that.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sigh, I got a headache from my giant hearing.  I won, sorta.  I hope my 2pm is not as hectic.

I tried the Chicago Altra Escalante Racers last night and I fucking love them.  My operated knee hated the Escalantes so this new model looks to be like the Altra Ones which I used to love until they changed the design.  And today, Hoka pulled out the Clifton 1s for a limited time.  It's like Christmas!!!!!!  I bought at least four pairs of Clifton 1s.   It's the only shoe I like for marathoning so now I'm covered for a few years.

Damaris

Cyberic

That's good news! A clean and healthy colon for the win!

DavePNW

That's good news! A clean and healthy colon for the win!

+1. I was also pretty proud of them complimenting the effectiveness of my prep.

Dave

KCRuns

I ran 5 easy on the TM.  I added 3x 1:00 Fartleks (9:45, 9:32, 9:15) at the end to test my legs.  They're still tired.

I have a 5k next Saturday (10/27) and am hoping for a shiny new PR.  What runs/workouts should I be doing this week and next to make sure I'm both recovered from the marathon and ready to run hard for the 5k?

LRB

I ran 5 easy on the TM.  I added 3x 1:00 Fartleks (9:45, 9:32, 9:15) at the end to test my legs.  They're still tired.

I have a 5k next Saturday (10/27) and am hoping for a shiny new PR.  What runs/workouts should I be doing this week and next to make sure I'm both recovered from the marathon and ready to run hard for the 5k?

Coming three weeks post-marathon, I would run all easy runs with maybe a fast-ish easy run 7 days out, then easy with strides 3 days out. It's different for everyone but for me, the idea of the post-marathon 5k is to race with the endurance gained during MRT, not trying to gain speed during what for most is a recovery period. That doesn't apply to everyone however, so as usual with these things, do you what works for you.

DavePNW

I agree keep it mostly easy. Strides or fartleks like you did today should be good enough for this week. Next Tuesday you might do a light interval workout - not too long, not too many. Just to fire up the legs a bit. My 5k PR came 3 weeks post-marathon! My workout that week (on Tuesday for a Saturday race) was 3x800m + 3x400m. Probably recommended by either LRB or onemile.

MTA: why didn't I do this research earlier, for my own race. 

Dave

KCRuns

Coming three weeks post-marathon, I would run all easy runs with maybe a fast-ish easy run 7 days out, then easy with strides 3 days out. It's different for everyone but for me, the idea of the post-marathon 5k is to race with the endurance gained during MRT, not trying to gain speed during what for most is a recovery period. That doesn't apply to everyone however, so as usual with these things, do you what works for you.

I agree keep it mostly easy. Strides or fartleks like you did today should be good enough for this week. Next Tuesday you might do a light interval workout - not too long, not too many. Just to fire up the legs a bit. My 5k PR came 3 weeks post-marathon! My workout that week (on Tuesday for a Saturday race) was 3x800m + 3x400m. Probably recommended by either LRB or onemile.

MTA: why didn't I do this research earlier, for my own race. 

Thank you, both!  Dave, what pace were those intervals?  Just as fast as I can or target 5k pace?

DavePNW

Thank you, both!  Dave, what pace were those intervals?  Just as fast as I can or target 5k pace?

I'd target 5k pace.

Dave

KCRuns

Thanks!  I'm going to go program that workout now so I don't forget.

DavePNW

Thanks!  I'm going to go program that workout now so I don't forget.

You might want to wait till onemile checks in to give the definitive opinion on the subject. But this probably came from her.

Dave

RunningOnSand

Howdy folks! Love hearing everyone's strategies for nutrition during marathons. I actually talked to a nutritionist about this b/c randomly I'd been experiencing energy crashes, severe stomach cramping, etc. after races and some runs.

So, she said it's a delicate balance of nutrition, water, and electrolytes. Her recommendation for a marathon (besides all the pre-race hydration and nutrition) is to take a GU (I take Roctane) at start, 5, 10, 15, 20 and 23 if needed. ALWAYS take the Roctane WITH about 4 oz of water if possible, and make sure to stay on top of it (as someone said, better too much than too little--don't want to bonk). Also, try to take the full water at every stop, b/c it's also important to stay on top of your hydration so you don't get stomach cramps. Since I'm usually a pretty heavy sweater w/salt dried on my face afterwards (yuck), I could also take 1 salt tab every hour, in between the GU. I have been practicing all of this on my training runs and miraculously, I have not had a bonk or a single stomach cramp since I've started. *Knocks on wood.* Also, obviously this may not work for everyone, but I thought some might be interested in this wonderful tidbit. Big grin

I ran ~ 10 miles, with 2x2mi cruise intervals. It was soooooo windy out there! I somehow felt like I had a headwind both ways (it was an out and back course).  And I smartly planned it at a nice incline the last half of my workout.   But in other news, I started breaking in my shoes for the marathon (NB 1400 v6). I had the v5 before and have loved them (minus their lifespan) but the 5's are alllll gone. Seems like the 6's will be okay. Fingers crossed.