Beginners and Beyond

SunDailies and Stats (Read 36 times)

No more marathons

Since I'm most likely going to take another day off (or, who knows, I might JOG latter), I thought I'd start off with where we left off yesterday.

Most of you really have no need for the age graded stuff - you're still actively pursing real personal bests.

For those of us aged variety, this is no longer a possibility - so the age grading gives us (me?) the ability to see how I'm doing relative to how younger me did.  Effectively evaluating my training and my race effort.

Here's my stats - then and now:

Young Old
    Mile 74.5 78.4
    5K 77.5 77.2
    10K 75.9 75.3
    15K 75.2 72.3
    HM 72.1 69.6
    Marathon 67.8 66.7

My times now are much slower than 30 years ago when my PRs were set, but I'm mostly in line with the age grading percents.

The only outlier is the mile - easily explained since the PhatOldMan mile was a downhill road mile - I'm good running downhill Smile

I'm training more consistently now than I did 30 years ago, but with less intensity.  I think the biggest factor keeping me from hitting my young self's percents is weight - carrying 20 extra pounds is a bit of a handicap.

What's on tap today runners?  (Besides a good Hi-Wire Brewery Bed of Nails).

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I like this Sundaily better.

still bluesky - Great work on maintaining those percentages. Mine have fallen a lot, but then I'm not training as hard, either.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

No more marathons

Apologies to PR - when I started this thread nothing was up.  Guess it took me a little too long to post.

Anyway to merge the two?

He's a leaker!

Apologies to PR - when I started this thread nothing was up.  Guess it took me a little too long to post.

Anyway to merge the two?

No. Either we just keep competing dailies, or one of you change the title.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

No. Either we just keep competing dailies, or one of you change the title.

Competing dailies. Let's take it up a notch.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

LRB

Competing dailies. Let's take it up a notch.

I ran 6. At 64 degrees, it was my warmest run since that debacle last month.

Cyberic

Nice regular stats, Bluesky. But this forum is too small for two daily threads. Maybe we need a showdown between PR and you.

LRB

Young Old
                  Mile 74.5 78.4
                  5K 77.5 77.2
                  10K 75.9 75.3
                  15K 75.2 72.3
                  HM 72.1 69.6
                  Marathon 67.8 66.7

It seems we all have a similar drop off the greater the distance. I wonder if there is anyone who is the opposite.

No more marathons

It seems we all have a similar drop off the greater the distance. I wonder if there is anyone who is the opposite.

I've heard tale of such creatures, but I've never met one in the flesh.

He's a leaker!

I can only imagine people who run primarily ultras, and don't bother with shorter distances.

In any case - some race results list "Age Percentage", presumably a similar calculation, and allow you to sort results by that. My race yesterday did that; I finished 14th OA, but was 10th OA by Age Percentage. 

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

How many are putting in the miles necessary to be equally fit at the longer distances as they are at the shorter ones. There are also intangibles at play, at least for me, because running a well executed marathon is a lot harder than running a well executed mile or 5K. Then getting that all together under ideal conditions makes it even harder.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

LRB

There are also intangibles at play, at least for me, because running a well executed marathon is a lot harder than running a well executed mile or 5K. 

No doubt, unless you excel at that distance. I, do not!

No more marathons

In any case - some race results list "Age Percentage", presumably a similar calculation, and allow you to sort results by that. My race yesterday did that; I finished 14th OA, but was 10th OA by Age Percentage. 

I ran a 10K trail race once that gave awards based on age graded results.

My DS, who was 18 at the time finished first overall, and first age graded but I finished 10th (or thereabouts) overall and 2nd age graded.  So it was a son/father sweep.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

How many are putting in the miles necessary to be equally fit at the longer distances as they are at the shorter ones. There are also intangibles at play, at least for me, because running a well executed marathon is a lot harder than running a well executed mile or 5K. Then getting that all together under ideal conditions makes it even harder.

I think for most people you see a similar drop at the other (shorter) end.

My current 800 meter percent drops to about 71%, and, if I ever tried one, I suspect my 400 would be in the same range as my marathon.

The sprints just take a certain level of raw speed, which I do not possess.

He's a leaker!

delicate flower

3.1 mile run:  20:18 (6:33 pace)

16 mile bike:  49:59 (19.0 mph)

3.3 mile run:  22:10 (6:46 pace)

1:34:something total race time.

28 OA

4 AG

Solid showing, good race execution.  7 minute improvement over last year (basically I finished a mile ahead of last year).  My riding still needs work.  Results aren't online yet so I don't know my split ranks.  My transitions were not very smooth.  Overall though, I had a good race.  My running, especially run 2, felt great.  No doubt I can credit my better bike conditioning for that.  I am achy now.

<3