Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins, is it gonna s-- ... no, I can't even say it!! (Read 13 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

So we have chorus coaching tomorrow, and people are freaking out all over the place because they're calling for snow.  Our sister chorus down the road cancelled their weekend retreat because of snow.  Our own coach is nervous about coming because of snow.  And our own members are running around going "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Now here's reality:  Our sister chorus was going to VA Beach, where they're calling for like 4 inches.  But it would happen after they were already safely ensconced in their hotels.  Sheesh.

Where our coach is coming from, they're calling for 1-3 inches.  Seriously, is that enough to make you not want to hit a major interstate?

And here, they're calling for an inch.  But by all means, don't leave your house!  Get milk and bread!!  You'll be housebound for days!!!!

Anyway, from yesterday:  Jill, I'm the only earner.  DH is a house husband.  He has a BS in computer science, but has been out of the field so long I think it would be difficult for him to find a good job and fund his own retirement if something happened to me.  Plus, he's 50, which doesn't give him very long to build up his own retirement.  And what if I get flattened at 55, or 60?  DH would still get nothing, and would be over 60 himself, which would make it nigh on impossible to even find a job.  So I do see that as a gap that needs covering.  But other than our mortgage, a car payment (2 more years) and a home equity loan (for the solar panels), we have no debt.  Which is nice!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

It snowed an inch here on Wednesday and schools were out. In my town, the next door town where I work is open.

We're supposed to get snow ans freezing rain on Saturday.

HsM, I hope that you're able to get to your practice!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The sky is falling!

Morning.  No cold weather here but it's not super hot today.  That counts for a cooldown, I guess. Meanwhile, in Orlando, best weather for running Disney, but yet I'm not running it this year.  FFS.

I have an RD or a run.  Not sure what I want.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

We had about an inch last night. Just enough to be pretty, not enough to make trouble.  The sun is shining, so it may melt, despite the below freezing temperatures. Today is probably a rest day for me. I really need to take down the Christmas tree, now that it's Epiphany.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, I need to de-garland my office!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

So we have chorus coaching tomorrow, and people are freaking out all over the place because they're calling for snow.  Our sister chorus down the road cancelled their weekend retreat because of snow.  Our own coach is nervous about coming because of snow.  And our own members are running around going "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Now here's reality:  Our sister chorus was going to VA Beach, where they're calling for like 4 inches.  But it would happen after they were already safely ensconced in their hotels.  Sheesh.

Where our coach is coming from, they're calling for 1-3 inches.  Seriously, is that enough to make you not want to hit a major interstate?

And here, they're calling for an inch.  But by all means, don't leave your house!  Get milk and bread!!  You'll be housebound for days!!!!

Anyway, from yesterday:  Jill, I'm the only earner.  DH is a house husband.  He has a BS in computer science, but has been out of the field so long I think it would be difficult for him to find a good job and fund his own retirement if something happened to me.  Plus, he's 50, which doesn't give him very long to build up his own retirement.  And what if I get flattened at 55, or 60?  DH would still get nothing, and would be over 60 himself, which would make it nigh on impossible to even find a job.  So I do see that as a gap that needs covering.  But other than our mortgage, a car payment (2 more years) and a home equity loan (for the solar panels), we have no debt.  Which is nice!!

Interesting.  That's why we are looking into term life insurance for DH.  Right now I work very part time and my earning potential is only about 20% of his even if I went back to work full time.  I wonder if one way to fill that gap is to have him go back to work very part time - even if he works 10 hours per week at $15 per hour it would help you meet the $600 per month and it would get him out of the house and doing something.  Does he like being a house husband?  During the summers I'm effectively a house wife full time (no students need tutoring in the summer) and it drives me a bit nuts because I like having things to do.  But since your husband isn't currently employed I agree with getting some sort of life insurance - probably just term life insurance until you turn 65.  After that point, your social security benefits would at least go to him.  Whole life insurance is a terrible idea from a financial standpoint.  It is good that you are pretty much debt free :-)

Today I walked the dog and have some errands to run.  I'm contemplating the gym, but yesterday I was a nauseated mess.  I guess I could do the elliptical and bail off if I need to vomit.  I think it would be rude to throw up in the swimming pool and I don't think I can handle any running today.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

DH is pretty resistant to the idea of working again -- he does a fair amount of volunteering, and likes being able to help anyone do almost anything when most people are working.  He's also extremely introverted and likes not having to deal with a boss, or ... you know ... people.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

DH is pretty resistant to the idea of working again -- he does a fair amount of volunteering, and likes being able to help anyone do almost anything when most people are working.  He's also extremely introverted and likes not having to deal with a boss, or ... you know ... people.

Haha, I totally understand this.  I'm pretty extroverted and sometimes people still bug the crap out of me.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Haha, I totally understand this.  I'm pretty extroverted and sometimes people still bug the crap out of me.

This is why our running friends are on the Internet.  

Jill, you could always do CrossFit where I hear that you're supposed to work out until you puke.

Singer who runs a smidge

Puking, it works the abs!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, DH says it's snowing at home, so I'm going to bug out early.  See everybody on Monday!!