Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES: They will never see it coming... (Read 35 times)

DavePNW

My RA log goes back to July 2012, plus my first HM the prior month (Ann Arbor). Most of 2012 was data I went back & added. I wish I had everything before, but it was either on different systems I didn't bother to save or transfer, or not logged at all. My first race was a 10 miler in June 2011 (Kona/Solstice Run). I wish I could even remember when I actually started running, but I could not even tell you the year much less the month. Sometime 2009-10 I guess. I did a bunch of ellipticalling & treadmilling before that.

I never thought of logging it. It was just exercise and not anything that I cared to have a record of.

^mostly this, at first. I ran 3 days per week like clockwork for a long time; did not actually get up to 4 days till after my first marathon, Oct 2012. 

Dave

LRB

Hmm. I thought you had been running longer than that.

You would think so with as much doody that flies outta my mouth, as I have an opinion on everything FFS.

I actually was into fitness for much longer than that (1999), so a lot of my experience is from that realm. But no, I did not put on my first pair of tights until I became a runner, so so much for that stereotype.

bluerun

Super B****

Should I go back and add this to my log??    I'm like onemile... I never bothered when I first started running.  I only got a Garmin after this race because the timing system malfunctioned and I needed proof!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

Isn't it strange how some of us can remember the day we started this madness, like it's a birthday, anniversary, or other date to be celebrated.  I started running on September 1, 2011.

Yes, it is literally branded into my brain. I should set is as a security question for some of my financial accounts...of course now the entire internet knows so too late for that.

DavePNW

You would think so with as much doody that flies outta my mouth, as I have an opinion on everything FFS.

I actually was into fitness for much longer than that (1999), so a lot of my experience is from that realm. But no, I did not put on my first pair of tights until I became a runner, so so much for that stereotype.

I hope you logged important milestones like your first pair of tights, first pair of short shorts, first singlet, first arm sleeves, etc.

I have actually not yet achieved any of those milestones; I have a lot to learn about running.

Dave

LRB

Should I go back and add this to my log??    I'm like onemile... I never bothered when I first started running.  I only got a Garmin after this race because the timing system malfunctioned and I needed proof!

"If you are not able to jog or walk a mile..."

Wow, how far have we come!

LRB

I have actually not yet achieved any of those milestones; and judging from the reaction to yours, I never will. lol

bluerun

Super B****

"If you are not able to jog or walk a mile..."

Wow, how far have we come!

I don't think that was referring to me... seeing how I finished second in my AG.  (I was actually so proud of myself for running the entire thing!)  Man, I love these tiny little community races.  They're great for my ego.  

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

It took me 6 years.  I started in March 2009.

That's two years ahead of me, and not all that out of the realm of possibility for me when injuries are factored in. Of which I have had my share!

LRB

I don't think that was referring to me... seeing how I finished second in my AG.  (I was actually so proud of myself for running the entire thing!)  Man, I love these tiny little community races.  They're great for my ego.  

Yeah my first 5k was about 10 days after my first run. I was never worried about running the entire thing, it was all about running it within a given time frame.

The time I spent running on the treadmill prior to that help shaped my mindset in that regard.

LRB

My RA log goes back to July 2012, plus my first HM the prior month (Ann Arbor). Most of 2012 was data I went back & added. I wish I had everything before, but it was either on different systems I didn't bother to save or transfer, or not logged at all. My first race was a 10 miler in June 2011 (Kona/Solstice Run). I wish I could even remember when I actually started running, but I could not even tell you the year much less the month. Sometime 2009-10 I guess. I did a bunch of ellipticalling & treadmilling before that.

^mostly this, at first. I ran 3 days per week like clockwork for a long time; did not actually get up to 4 days till after my first marathon, Oct 2012. 

Hey, you are proof that those Runner's World emails of training for a marathon on three days a week is possible.

delicate flower

16.5 miles at 8:09 pace....

90 minutes easy (8:17 pace)

10 minutes at 7:50 pace (target was 8:00 pace)

5 minutes easy

10 minutes at 7:38 pace (target was 7:40)

5 minutes easy

10 minutes at 7:30 pace (target was 7:20..urgh)

5 minutes I'm focking tired

Good run overall despite coming up short on that last 10 minute interval.  The effort was there though...I pushed hard.

<3

onemile

16.5 miles at 8:09 pace....

90 minutes easy (8:17 pace)

10 minutes at 7:50 pace (target was 8:00 pace)

5 minutes easy

10 minutes at 7:38 pace (target was 7:40)

5 minutes easy

10 minutes at 7:30 pace (target was 7:20..urgh)

5 minutes I'm focking tired

Good run overall despite coming up short on that last 10 minute interval.  The effort was there though...I pushed hard.

In 80 degrees.

onemile

I started logging when I started using this baby:

onemile

Yeah my first 5k was about 10 days after my first run. I was never worried about running the entire thing, it was all about running it within a given time frame.

The time I spent running on the treadmill prior to that help shaped my mindset in that regard.

Oh, I said I would never run a 5k if I couldn't come under 30 minutes. I also said there was no point because I could just go run 3 miles on my own.