Beginners and Beyond

Today's Penguins Are Wednesdaylicious! (Read 33 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Scotty - your suggestion a vivid memory of my grandfather - he was a great man.  He'd get up at 4am every morning before retiring and go through a routine and they included that exact stretch you were talking about.  I'll do that.

PF33 - I've not considered those for running.  Not a bad idea.  I wear them to work since I sit on my butt for hours on end.  LOL

Tori - my DD (Illinois) had to dig her car out this morning.  She ended up walking across the road to ask a fire fighter to help push her out.  I'm glad it missed us!

Philliefan33

Would knuckle lights fit over gloves? I have to wear gloves when I run cuz of the mild arthritis in my hands. Granted, they are very thin gloves, but don't know if anything would be able to slide over the fingers..

Scotty, I've been using the knuckle lights with thin gloves -- those stretchy things you can buy for $1 at Target.  Even with the gloves, I have the strap adjusted to almost  the smallest limit -- there's about 2" more strap left for bigger hands.  (My hands are about average size for a woman.)  The strap has a little stretch so you can get it into position, then the light sits very comfortablly without having to hold on to it.    I think they Knuckle lights would work for you with a thin glove, unless you have big old ham hands.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

scotty I was a Y member when I lived in my old apartment....there was one across the street! Though, it had no 6am classes either. No Ys by my new apartment....closest one is the one I used to belong to which is 4.1 miles away. That doesn't sound like a lot, but that is 30-40 minutes each way! My gym is a block from me....super convenient, just wish they had more AM classes....none of the 5 gyms within walking distance of my apartment do Sad all the classes everywhere around here cater to stay at home moms or people with very alternative work schedules, or people who work out in the evenings. Oh well...I really only have time for that one spin class anyway because I run 4 days per week.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Ok, it's a good thing that I don't work from home all of the time -- it's too close to the refrigerator and pantry!

I've been grazing all morning...oatmeal, crackers, cheese, homemade apple chips.  I'll try to justify it by thinking that I didn't replenish the calories I burned during my run last night.

Zelanie

Morning!  RD here, the family wants to go to Red Robin tonight and running afterwards just doesn't sound like fun, even if I get the broccoli instead of fries.  That means some interesting juggling to get my miles in this week, but I think it will be worth it.

Gustav- Hoping your wife's tests go well.

Awood- Ugh, I hate it when I can't get my log to update how I want it.  And if you're competing with friends, it's important!

Vance- Hope you've been able to enjoy some breakfast by now!

kristin- Sounds like they definitely need another AM class!

D- Glad I'm not facing you on court today!  Hope your day improves.

Bin- I agree, sounds like you need a RD.

Margo- Congrats on the knuckle lights!  I always wear both of mine, because I have had one randomly go out on me on a run before.   So having two makes me feel better.

Tori- Enjoy the snow!

Scotty- ¡Que precioso!  ¡Gracias!  I wear knuckle lights over gloves all the time.  Running without gloves is pretty much not an option for me.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Today it's an easy 40-45 minutes for me. Surprisingly, I am feeling good after my 8x800 yesterday. I am a believer in calf sleeves! Soon I will break out my new green pair and shock the kids. Smile

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Gustav- so nice of your wife to donate her hair to Locks of love, and even nicer that you support her in this decision.

kristin-  yikes @ em fighting over the bikes.  Things certainly are different where you live.

bin-  do you need new shoes perhaps?

N-bug- ugh @ the fasting lab.  The worst thing about them for me is putting off having my coffee.  Hope your back feels better soon!

Scotty- good job on the miles.  Love those runs where you just feel like going further.   You lucked up in those winds dying down. 35 mph winds would not have been one bit pleasant.

Philliefan- ohhh, nice daughter you have!  Hopefully those socks will come in the mail soon!  I think you're so brave to run in the dark.  I've never tried that around here ever.

Tori-- wowsers @ that snow!  Be careful if you get out.  Our weather is going to do just the opposite.  We had some 70* weather this week (wooohooo) but it's supposed to be cold and uncomfortable all weekend.

Zelanie-  I used to love Red Robin.  Hope you have a good time!

jack- good deal on the legs feeling great.  You all might eventually make me give into the compression sleeve rage.

I've had a bit of a cold this week.  As I can't remember actually having a cold for several years, this is rather odd, but at least it's not bad.  It seems like my runs are getting so much harder lately.  I think as I get tired, my mind is playing tricks on me a bit, or maybe it's the cold?  Anyway, today I want to get between 9-11 miles.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Scotty,

York, PA is the whole other side of the state towards Phily!! I bet she did get some snow! Although just 10 miles north of where we are, they got ZERO snow! It's crazy!

Kristin, maybe you should look into your local YMCAs.   We have 10 Y's here in the local San Antonio area.  All of them open at 5:30 a.m. on the weekdays, and all of them offer a variety of classes, starting at 6 a.m.  This morning, for example,  Gail had her choice at 6 a.m.  of a Zumba class, a body toning class, a step aerobics class, or an 'abs-and glutes' bike class, all at  the Y that is nearest us.  She did the bike class.   The Y has come a long way from what it used to be in the 'old days' (the days of my youth, lol, MANY years ago).  And the memberships fees are usually really good, lots better than what most gyms charge.

What, Margo, you didn't get a compression sock photo of you taken so you could post it for us?  Wink  Hope they work well for you!   Congrats on your 8 miles last night!  Would knuckle lights fit over gloves? I have to wear gloves when I run cuz of the mild arthritis in my hands. Granted, they are very thin gloves, but don't know if anything would be able to slide over the fingers.

That is a lot of snow, Tori!  Stay safe out there!  I guess my daughter must be dealing with it too, she lives in York, PA.  Don't know what part of the state that is in.  She is definitely not a runner though, she she's probably staying inside.   Yeah, I think Mother Nature is the same way here in Texas.  In the 30s one morning, the next morning our low is in the 50s, sheesh.  80 for a high one day, then 50-something for a high the next, crazy.  Lots of people walking around here coughing and sniffling, with all these back-and-forth weather changes.

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We thought of moving down to Pittsburgh or Harrisburgh when I took the bar exam.  York was an option but it was not big enough for what I do.  It looks like an awesome area to live, snow and all.

Scotty,

York, PA is the whole other side of the state towards Phily!! I bet she did get some snow! Although just 10 miles north of where we are, they got ZERO snow! It's crazy!

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

We thought of moving down to Pittsburgh or Harrisburgh when I took the bar exam.  York was an option but it was not big enough for what I do.  It looks like an awesome area to live, snow and all.

Yeah, that snow is nice n pretty when it first gets there, but it get real old real fast, shoveling it, driving in it, etc.  One reason I moved from Ohio to Texas.  I really like Ohio too...in the spring and summer and early Fall.  Winter...no thanks.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL.  Being from PR which is even worse than Miami, I don't want to live here or there ANYMORE.  Heat and 100% humidity gets old pretty fast and I've been in it for 37 years.  Bah.

Yeah, that snow is nice n pretty when it first gets there, but it get real old real fast, shoveling it, driving in it, etc.  One reason I moved from Ohio to Texas.  I really like Ohio too...in the spring and summer and early Fall.  Winter...no thanks.

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I am soooo excited.....my dad and I just registered for the NY Giants Run of Champions 5K in June. For those who may not know we are HUGE Giants fans! The race is in the stadium and the finish line is the endzone!!! Willbe my dad's first race ever!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Squeezed 6.3 miles into my lunch break, not as many miles as I wanted, but I wanted to get at least some in before it gets really nasty later.  It was already 20-25mph winds and spitting rain, fun stuff. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

I'm about to head out to work...  I walked 1.5 mile on the treadmill just to loosen up.  Doc's appointment went great.  Turns out I could have had black coffee before the draw.  UGG!  LOL  Everyone have a great afternoon/evening.

LOL.  Being from PR which is even worse than Miami, I don't want to live here or there ANYMORE.  Heat and 100% humidity gets old pretty fast and I've been in it for 37 years.  Bah.

We know you are really only 29. Smile

Knocked out 5 miles this am before I had to get a bus to take kids on a field trip. We went to San Antonio to see the Alamo. Weather was nice. A cool 65 or so Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas