Beginners and Beyond

Fremescent Friday Penguins (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Fremescent:  Growling or muttering.

Which is what I was doing a little yesterday on my run/walk, lol.  Went to pick up my packet for my 5K tomorrow and then went to a local park and did paved trails and off-road trails.   I first got fremescent at about my first half mile when the DJ on the radio station I was listening to said "It is now official, we have hit 90 degrees right now for today."  Really?  Did you have to tell me that right when I was starting out?  Well, even with 90 it was still a very nice run/walk.  I felt pretty good in spite of the temp - probably because the humidity and dewpoint were pretty low and there was a very nice breeze blowing.  I ended up with 3.2 miles.  And during the latter part of my run/walk my second fremescent experience came when I decided to go "exploring" on one of the natural trails connecting to the paved trail.  It ended up going farther than I thought it would, causing me to growl and mutter out loud if I was ever going to find the paved trail again, lol.  Which I finally did.  All in all, actually a quite fun and enjoyable run/walk...nice park to run in and new trails to explore, as I saw some other trails off-shooting from the one I was on.  Definitely going to do more exploring in this park.

Today is a rest day and then tomorrow I have the Helotes Beer Garden 5K, my 23rd race of 2014.  First the race and then after the miles there will be beer and bar-b-cue sandwiches, nice.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I had to switch with Sunday's SRD due to the fact that I didn't hear the alarm. Sheesh, I was exhausted.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Five easy miles later and hoping for a pain free LR tomorrow morning.

Have a great weekend.

hog4life

Rest day for me, I have my first "official" bike race tomorrow. This will be interesting!

Cherie, how are you feeling? Neck sore? Sorry about the wreck

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Still driving around the country, but my back is behaving better, my ribs are lined up with my hips again (you don't want to look in the mirror and see your ribs 3-4 inches right of your hips), and my feet are starting to line up, which means that my hips are starting to align.  YAY!  I might be looking at a less supportive shoe soon. Thanks chiropractic!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Morning, interval workout done this morning.

SheCan

Scotty-- 90* already????  Did I miss that post about you moving to S. Florida with Docket or something?  Well, I'm glad you had a good run despite the heat and getting a little bit lost (fun!!!!)  Your race tomorrow sounds super fun, wish we could all join you for this one.

Docket-- if you didn't hear the alarm, you must have really, really been tired.  Hope the extra rest does you well.

Jack--- Have my fingers crossed that you'll have a good painfree run!

Mitch-- thank you, and no I'm fine.  We were both going fairly slow, so i was surprised at how much damage there was.  My car was declared totaled, so now my honey is shopping for a new truck.  BTW, Mitch, how's your nephew doing.  I've wondered how he's been dealing with the loss of his friend in the accident-- if I heard that correctly.  I would imagine that he would be suffering so much mental anguish over the situation.    Anyhow, good luck with your bike race tomorrow!

Awood-- ugh@ having to drive around with your back feeling like that.  Glad you're doing better anyway, but still...

PAD-- great job on your intervals.

Last night, I went and did a short hill session in the cool air before nightfall.  Today, I have several people coming by the house, but nobody gave me the exact times.  I really need to meet with them, so i'm feeling a bit stuck at home.  I'm even scared to get on the stationary bike because its way in back and I can't hear the door bell back there!  Unless they come soon I guess its a rest day!   I guess I can deal with that!

Take care friends!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My city...I'm so proud...

Gallup poll: San Antonio is second-fattest city in the country - SAN ANTONIO --  It's time to get fit San Antonio. The city needs to pick up the pace to meet the goal set forth by Mayor Julian Castro's Million Pound Challenge that started in February. San Antonians have lost approximately 7,400 pounds, so far -- that translates to about 1,000 pounds per week. The goal is to reach one million pounds by November 2014, and to beat the city of Houston in getting there.  The mayor's mission with the weight challenge is to promote a healthier city and reduce the obesity rate. In a recent survey by Gallup, more than 31 percent of people in the Alamo City are obese, ranking San Antonio as the second-highest in the country among cities with more than a million people. The city of Houston is 13th on the list. http://www.kens5.com/news/San-antonio-second-fattest-city-in-country-gallup-polls-says--254665061.html

SheCan

That just really surprises me, Scotty.  With all those races and trails around SA, it seems like it'd be one of the fittest cities in the south.  People sure don't look unusually fat in your pics you posts either.  Very neat though that y'all are doing a city-wide weight loss challenge.  Congratulations to SA for the 7400lbs so far!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

Cherie, on my nephew, they are keeping it rather quite. I guess he is doing okay. We probably will not hear the "truth" till much later and after the fact. My FIL has some nerve though, after the nephew totaled his truck, he is now letting him drive another one of their vehicles.

I am actually pretty excited about this bike race thing, It should be a lot of fun. The 2nd half was planned, it is only 15 miles from where I live, and was only $35, so I could not pass this up. Initially I had planned to "race" last Sat with Awood, the fun run this coming one. But since last week was a bad run, my training should allow me to race Sunday, that's if the bike race don't trash my legs.

Jimmy, it would be great for you and the family to come do Oak Barrel. Registration usually opens the end of Oct.

Zelanie

Good luck, Mitch!

Cherie- Glad you're OK!

Last run before my race is in the books!  Now we are headed up to Portland for the district robotics tournament.  Should be a good one- the better bots have moved on to this one and it should be competitive.  As usual, the Saturday afternoon matches should be the best.

You can watch the live stream here.  We are team 997 and honestly likely to be middle of the road with this bunch.  The other team from our town is 955 and they are looking really good so far.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - that is too hot for me, even with the low humidity.  Yikes.  I'm sure you'll have fun at tomorrow's beer run.  I agree with Cherie, with so many races and so many people participating in each race, it is surprising that SA has such a high obesity rate.

Damaris - sometimes you just need that extra hour of sleep more than you need a few miles training.

Jack - I hope you get your pain free run.  How did last night with the splint go?

Mitch - that's ambitious, doing a bike race one day followed by a HM the next.  How long is the bike race?  Good luck this weekend.

Awood - I'm glad to hear your back is straightening out.  That sounds very painful, especially with all the driving you do.  I love road trips, but my back doesn't.  I end up with really painful sciatica if I don't get a lot of walking in.

PAD - good job on the early intervals.

Cherie - I hate not knowing when people are going to arrive, because you can't really settle to anything.  OTOH, a rest day won't hurt and will probably make tomorrow's run better.

AFM:  I'm planning on 4 or so later.  Rain is forecast but hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know whether I'll run indoors or out.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: Last night was better but only because I loosened it a bit. I made it through the entire night without taking it off. It is the weirdest thing; even though I loosened it I was still feeling a bit anxious, as though I was trapped. I don't like that feeling.  I have had that feeling one other time in my life. I was playing drums in a studio and my earplug moved way down in one of my ears. I couldn't get it out and I started to freak out. I ran into the booth and the engineer used some needle nose pliers to get it out. Man, I hate that feeling.  Tonight I will cinch it down a bit and give it another go.

hog4life

Ginny: Last night was better but only because I loosened it a bit. I made it through the entire night without taking it off. It is the weirdest thing; even though I loosened it I was still feeling a bit anxious, as though I was trapped. I don't like that feeling.  I have had that feeling one other time in my life. I was playing drums in a studio and my earplug moved way down in one of my ears. I couldn't get it out and I started to freak out. I ran into the booth and the engineer used some needle nose pliers to get it out. Man, I hate that feeling.  Tonight I will cinch it down a bit and give it another go.

The key is to have it at loose as possible. When I first started using mine, it was too tight, kind of cut the circulation off, foot went numb and very irritating. Try not to pull your foot too high if it has the adjustable angle to put your ankle.