Beginners and Beyond

Do you consider yourself an athlete? (Read 95 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

You guys are all too modest.  We are finely tuned athletic machines, doing things that lesser humans are incapable of.

I have referred to myself in races as merely a "participant" though, particularly in my multi-sport races.  

<3

onemile

We are finely tuned athletic machines, doing things that lesser humans are incapable of.

At best, we are more motivated.  Not more capable.

At worst, we are stupider.

Little Blue

You guys are all too modest.  We are finely tuned athletic machines, doing things that lesser humans are incapable of.

I'll bet you said this with a straight face, didn't you?

DavePNW

If you would've told my younger adult league softball playing self that I would've quit you. Big grin

I sucked at that. And I sucked in my adult basketball leagues. And all attempts at golf, for that matter. In fact you could make the case that being exclusively a runner (more specifically, recreational hobbyjogger) is virtually the opposite of being an athlete. Because you do need some kind of skill for most other athletic endeavors. But any uncoordinated spaz can put one foot in front of the other, then repeat endlessly till injured.

Dave

DavePNW

At best, we are more motivated.  Not more capable.

At worst, we are stupider.

She said it in fewer words.

Dave

onemile

But any uncoordinated spaz can put one foot in front of the other, then repeat endlessly till injured.

LOL

LRB

Because you do need some kind of skill for most other athletic endeavors. But any uncoordinated spaz can put one foot in front of the other, then repeat endlessly till injured.

You win at the internet today. lol

Cyberic

any uncoordinated spaz can put one foot in front of the other, then repeat endlessly till injured.

^^ That's good signature material, right there, sir ^^

Cyberic

If I won $100 once, at a small race, does that make me a professional athlete?

How about a professional runner?

Cyberic

I like the way Jay Dicharry puts it:

"Let's look beyound running for a second. If you ask the general public, "Who's the greatest athlete of all time?" Michal Jordan's name pops up an aweful lot. Why? What is it about Michael Jordan that attracts so much attention? Jordan trained hard to run fast down the court and had the endurance to do this for hours. He had amazing ball-handling skills, an outstanding vertical jump, and the mental calmness to make free throws in noisy arenas. Any one of those skills is tough to master, but Jordan combined all of them while going up against the best of his peers. A great athlete rises to the occasion and is ready to perform. (...)

Most kids are oustannding athletes. Kids learn through play; they learn to run, dive, jump, crawl, climb monkey bars, swing, etc. (...) They learn how stiff their legs should be to absorb the motion as they run over the wobbly bridges on the playground, and how much power they must produce to stabilize their body as they jump off the highest stepo in the front of the house. (...)

Most runners do not often explore their limits and are not outstanding athletes. "

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

But any uncoordinated spaz can put one foot in front of the other, then repeat endlessly till injured.

I wanted to say something witty, but this is gold.

I'm not even close to an athlete.  I call myself a runner, but almost giggle and wince when I say it.

Runner with a riding problem.

Hip Redux

I didn't think there was anything left for you guys to over analyze, but here you've gone and proved me wrong. 

LRB

I call myself a runner, but almost giggle and wince when I say it.

You are not alone, and it's weird how that is. In my experience, people who bowl competitively readily call themselves bowlers. Those who swim are swimmers and golfers golf (although the term scratch golfer indicates a "higher" skill level). Only in running does it seem a quandary exists about who or what a runner is.

Running is a sport in which runners participate, so by definition if you run, you are a runner, yet so many seem hesitant to apply that label to themselves. Perhaps it's an attempt to lower expectations and thus pressure, or as Dave says, not take themselves too seriously.

There was a time a few years ago when I would cringe when someone would say jogger or jogging instead of runner or running, then I got to a point where none of that mattered, and I embraced it.

As much as runners annoy the general public, the sport is revered by common folk and professional athletes from other sports alike. So while anyone can do it, not everyone does. And since I do, I have a little fun with it.

In the grand scheme of things where professional runners compete, none of us here really matter. But in the grand scheme of things where Joe Schmo Public competes, a lot of us do.

So yes, I am a runner. Am I any good? That my friend, depends on who is asking.

LRB

I didn't think there was anything left for you guys to over analyze, but here you've gone and proved me wrong. 

The off season is upon us. This is only the beginning. lol

workinprogress11

This is perfection.