Beginners and Beyond

The first WednDAILIES of the rest of your life (Read 48 times)

B-Plus

6. It's getting late, so maybe later. We'll see.

Good morning dailies!

A chilly but otherwise wonderful day off awaits.  Y group later tonite.

LRB

Right now my intervals are five minutes hard with three minute recoveries, six times.  

That's the equivalent of 6 x 1200's, a stalwart of mine. I have worked my way up to 1 mile and 1.5 mile repeats now (after 2 years), and eventually you will too.

I also run tempo pace steady state for 3 miles or for 20 minutes and you are exactly right, it takes time to grasp the mindset that you are running 3 miles at what was once your 5k PR pace during a workout, but as you become accustomed to them you will do exactly that.

The thing to keep in mind is that tempo pace means different things for different people depending on the philosophy you are following. At the pace you are running them at you will never do a 10 mile tempo run, ever. Whereas for others (usually those following Pfitz or the Hansons) a 6 to 10 mile tempo run is standard.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice 3.3 mile run/walk after work yesterday on trails in a local park.  SWEET run in singlet and shorts because it was sunny and 82 freakin' degrees yesterday!  Yeah, baby!    Tonite, the rain is moving in BIG TIME, supposed to continue from tonite through Friday,  so I got up this morning at 5 a.m. and went to the university campus and got some miles in and did hill work too.  Feeling really good, so ended up with 4.3 miles of hills.   It was only 52 degrees, but there was a bit of a bite to the wind, so I wore a moisture-absorbing singlet under my short-sleeved shirt, so I'd stay dry and comfortable during my walk breaks, and that worked really well, felt good the whole way.

And...SHHHH.....don't tell my doc.....but with today, I just ended up running 5 straight days in a row, which is something I never do anymore with this stupid spinal arthritis.  But with the bad weather coming, I wanted to get in a run on a nice day, so went this morning.  I will be taking off Thursday and Friday, and then I have a race this weekend.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Running by time actually provides a more consistent effort on a week to week basis.  As your body only knows time on its feet, the distance becomes irrelevant.  If one is running a 45 min recovery effort, some days that might be 8 miles, others 7 miles depending on speed.  If your plan said 8 miles recovery, and you run them too slow you end up with more time on your feet and possibly affecting the desired result.

I run by distance and have no coaching DNA, just thought I would pop this explanation as to why some folks rely on time rather than miles.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

SRD for me today, going to try and do some core strengthening exercise too.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Running by time actually provides a more consistent effort on a week to week basis.  As your body only knows time on its feet, the distance becomes irrelevant.  If one is running a 45 min recovery effort, some days that might be 8 miles, others 7 miles depending on speed.  If your plan said 8 miles recovery, and you run them too slow you end up with more time on your feet and possibly affecting the desired result.

I run by distance and have no coaching DNA, just thought I would pop this explanation as to why some folks rely on time rather than miles.

Interesting. I run easy by miles as well but some of my speed work is run for time.

The only other instance where time plays a factor for me is long runs, where runs of 90 minutes or 2 hours are required.

DavePNW

Tell that to my log! It demands an even number of miles, maybe a .1 at the end if I miscalculate. If I am not mistaken, McMillan plans will say something like "60-70 min easy", in which case I'm sure I'd run whatever number of minutes gives me an even number of miles.

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

45 minutes stationary bike (the regular one, Dave, not the Squidward one). I managed to accidentally reset it halfway through, but I think it was a whole 12 miles or something like that.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

5 recovery pace miles later today. I guess around 9:20 or so?

LRB

5 recovery pace miles later today. I guess around 9:20 or so?

If it suits you. 

DavePNW

5 recovery pace miles later today. I guess around 9:20 or so? 45 minute recovery run

FYP, haven't you learned anything today?

Dave

B-Plus

6. It's getting late, so maybe later. We'll see.

Later

LRB

I just hit my ass cheek with 600 mgs of Motrin. Probably gonna do that twice more today or at least once. Not in major pain just doing a self-diagnostic type of thing right now.

I usually only take pills about once every other year or so there.

Hip Redux

I just hit my ass cheek with 600 mgs of Motrin. Probably gonna do that twice more today or at least once. Not in major pain just doing a self-diagnostic type of thing right now.

I usually only take pills about once every other year or so there.

I don't think you're supposed to take them that way.