Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES (Read 23 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

An uneventful 4¼ miles for me.  I've never had much upper body strength.  Even when I worked on it, it took a long time to build up to what many have naturally and I lost it pretty quickly whenever I stopped lifting.  Just my genetics.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

delicate flower

pull-ups

I used to be able to do 30 of these things with full extension/elbows locked out.  Now I probably could not do one and would get injured trying.

<3

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I used to be able to do 30 of these things with full extension/elbows locked out.  Now I probably could not do one and would get injured trying.

full extension I can probably do 5-10 but I tend to cheat and don't quite get to full extension so I can feel better about my count! I really prefer pull-ups with your palms facing each other (I don't know the formal name). They are much easier on my forearms which are relatively long and skinny guy thin and weak no matter what I do to try and strengthen them.

I used to be able to do a respectable amount of pushups—in my younger days as well as more recently when doing yoga regularly. It’s been years now since I did yoga, and probably have not attempted any pushups since then. I can’t even imagine when was the last time I tried any pull-ups. I think the last time I even used that word was in reference to my kids’ potty-training pants.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I assume most of us had to do the Presidental Physical Fitness test in elementary & middle school? I would completely sandbag the pull ups. They was a chart that said how many you needed to do to get the highest score, that's how many I did and no more. Usually it was 5. I'm pretty sure my shoulders would explode just hanging from a bar now. I don't think I sandbaggged the flexibility quite as much, but that was also easy. I would then proceed to die a miserable death doing a 12 minute+ mile. Gymnastics made most of that test easy, but the running was anythign but.

sdWhiskers

I assume most of us had to do the Presidental Physical Fitness test in elementary & middle school? I would completely sandbag the pull ups. They was a chart that said how many you needed to do to get the highest score, that's how many I did and no more. Usually it was 5. I'm pretty sure my shoulders would explode just hanging from a bar now. I don't think I sandbaggged the flexibility quite as much, but that was also easy. I would then proceed to die a miserable death doing a 12 minute+ mile. Gymnastics made most of that test easy, but the running was anythign but.

I never saw a single girl do a pull up for that test. We all did the 'flexed arm hang'.

Kid's regular season baseball team had several players (7-9 yo) who couldn't run all the way around the bases without stopping to walk. Not sure if it was a sad pandemic side effect (extreme weight gain) or just typical American lifestyle.

delicate flower

We've got storms so I need to try to fit a run in during a break.  If I don't run, that's fine too. 

5.76 slow recovery miles done on some sore and tired legs.  Happy I could fit it in and get it done.

<3

LRB

Not me. lol

Cyberic

Pull-ups / chin-ups, my objective was 8 when I was going to the gym in my 20s,.and I'm not sure if I ever did it  . 7 for sure, but 8... maybe.

Cyberic

I never used to be able to do a single pushup from my toes, but only my knees. Then I worked on it a few years ago and can do 10-15 in one set. It helps to either use the TRX that Baboon showed (closer to horizontal, the harder) or put your hands on a step and work on that for awhile to get used to the motion.

I wanted to suggest that to my daughter, but what does the old man know about training, anyways, right? (About anything, actually).  So I just got ignored. I'm kind of used to it by now, since she's my second.

sdWhiskers

I wanted to suggest that to my daughter, but what does the old man know about training, anyways, right? (About anything, actually).  So I just got ignored. I'm kind of used to it by now, since she's my second.

Lol

Yeah, I don't listen to my dad about many things. If I did, I'd be fat, unvaccinated, and broke from get-rich-quick schemes...but also a lot handier around the house.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have to do pushups and planks on a step due to my arms being shorter than my legs (by a lot) so my tiny T-Rex wrists don't suffer. I just do more of them to compensate.

With that said, I did some on the floor the other day and boom, wrist is fucking painful.

Damaris

LOL I couldn't run the mile at all because of my asthma, so I was never able to get one of those things.

Dave

Too early to start a dailies, going to be a different day for me as lots of flooding where I run

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has extended the * Flood Warning for urban areas and small streams in... Central Fairfax County in northern Virginia... The City of Fairfax in northern Virginia... * Until 645 AM EDT. * At 436 AM EDT, The Accotink Creek at Annandale remains above flood stage. Some locations that may experience flooding include... Reston... Annandale... Springfield... Fairfax... Vienna... Mantua... Pimmit Hills... Burke... Oakton... Lincolnia... Tysons Corner... Franconia... Wolf Trap... Merrifield... I66 and I495 Interchange... I395 and I495 Interchange... West Springfield... Fairfax Station... Dunn Loring... North Springfield...

LRB

Too early to start a dailies

Hogwash. FlippyNoodle once started them while coming home from a New Year's party...or whatever the story was.