Beginners and Beyond

Rain drops are falling on my head ThursDAILIES (Read 53 times)

delicate flower

Not that I really worry about it, I just read this advice about how you should slow down because everyone runs their easy runs too fast. They say get a heartrate monitor to make sure you keep your heartrate low enough. For me, getting the monitor just showed me how lazy I am.

I almost always wear a heart rate monitor but I don't train with the data.  For me it's just informational only.  Sometimes I run fast and the readings are low, and sometimes I run slow and the readings are high.  I go by feel more than any point of data I look at.  I know what easy, moderate, and hard are supposed to feel like.

<3

onemile

My coach gives me a hard speed workout four days after a full effort HM.  He's a mean bastard.

Addie usually gives me one on Weds after a Sunday half. And I usually move it to Thursday because I need an extra day

oldfartrunner

JayB and OFR - do you guys wear the LunarTempos? I found them on Amazon for like $70 something and thought I might give them a go for my speed workouts, and I know you guys have had issues with the AT's. I can't find them on RW though so IDK if they're legit off Amazon? Hopefully not knock offs.

I feel like ass today. Woke up all night long with a sore throat, and then when I got out of bed today I noticed some congestion/runny nose. Glad today's a SRD. Hoping some water and motrin do the trick and I can finish my week of running (I know it's not much running but I do like to stretch my legs most days).

2nd q, how much reverse tapering do you guys usually do for a half? My muscles are feeling fine so I was going to email my coach that I think I can resume speed work by next week (will have just been a tad over a week from my HM). My Achilles feels good, too.

Yeah, I got 3 pair in the closet!   They are discontinuing them. Sad...They are 7mm drop and I add my home made heel insert that brings them up to probably 9mm with load. The New Balance 1400V5 is pretty nice. It is 10mm but runs like 8-9mm. It is firmer, slightly heavier, a little less stable,  and has better grip, but has a rock catcher hole on the bottom. It will catch bigger rocks of about 1/2 " or so, but not little. If you run on the roads, you won't have to worry about it. Smile

One week/7 days, is probably fine for most people, IMO. It takes me 10 days to fully recover from a hard raced Half-but I'm 57.  If you are doing higher mileage, you can probably get away with less-like 5 days, but that don't mean you are fully recovered-as far as residual muscle damage, and you are really not going to gain anything by doing Q work the week after a Half anyway?

I mean you just did 13 miles worth of threshold type work, that will even get a pro through the week.   A slow easy medium distance LR can be performed the weekend after, but I'd keep any pace work off the table until 7-10 days. Just my 2 cents.

onemile

I don't wear a HRM but the reason I usually run my easy runs very slowly is not because I am lazy; it's because my legs feel like they've been beat to shit (I am guessing this is actually DaveP's reason too). I would think my HR would be low because half the time I can't run fast enough to work up a sweat.

RunningOnSand

Wow you guys are intense!! Just a few days after a half and you're back at speed work?! Okay that's excellent to know. I'll tell my coach that by next week I'll be good to go for some "work". Big grin 

OFR that sucks they're discontinuing them. I tried some of the NB's but I didn't like how the toes come up in the shoes. I'll check out the 1400v5 and see if those are any better than the ones I'd tried. Have you tried the LunarGlides? Also, that's what I was thinking of in terms of residual muscle/tendon damage - with the 1/2. Next Tues will be 10 days since the half so I'm sure I'll be good to go by then.

Thanks for the input, you guys. Helps!

delicate flower

Wow you guys are intense!! Just a few days after a half and you're back at speed work?! Okay that's excellent to know. I'll tell my coach that by next week I'll be good to go for some "work". Big grin 

I don't know your history but don't go diving into long speedwork sessions so soon after a HM if you're not used to that.  Start with shorter workouts and build up over time.  Folks like myself and onemile have built the foundations to handle that kind of stuff.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Up early this morning - around 4:30 a.m. - and off to Fort Sam Houston to get in an easy 3.  The Army folks get up early too so I had lots of company, runners and walkers all around the post.  I planned on doing 3 easy miles but a nice cool morning in San Antonio this morning - before the heat starts coming back tomorrow - and ended up doing 4.4.

My plans for after work today are...nap in my chair a lot, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

oldfartrunner

Oh yeah, I got 4.  Tomorrow will be SRD before the race.

Feeling pretty good, so I can't use all my usual excuses if I don't do well. Sad The weather will be a little hot 68-73 race time, but that is normal for Phoenix, and I'm use to that.  I always got the " I'm just getting older" excuse,  that all you younger racers can't use. You have to be over 40, to pull that one out, and preferably over 50.

GEHamlin

OFR: Whatcha running this weekend? 

RunningOnSand

I don't know your history but don't go diving into long speedwork sessions so soon after a HM if you're not used to that.  Start with shorter workouts and build up over time.  Folks like myself and onemile have built the foundations to handle that kind of stuff.

I'm sure I don't have the foundations that you all have had - I do have a small foundation. Maybe a baby foundation. Wink I'll ask my coach to ease me in gently...we just did a 4-month training cycle with some speed stuff, but that's it.

RunningOnSand

Oh yeah, I got 4.  Tomorrow will be SRD before the race.

Feeling pretty good, so I can't use all my usual excuses if I don't do well. Sad The weather will be a little hot 68-73 race time, but that is normal for Phoenix, and I'm use to that.  I always got the " I'm just getting older" excuse,  that all you younger racers can't use. You have to be over 40, to pull that one out, and preferably over 50.

You'll do awesome!

oldfartrunner

OFR that sucks they're discontinuing them. I tried some of the NB's but I didn't like how the toes come up in the shoes. I'll check out the 1400v5 and see if those are any better than the ones I'd tried. Have you tried the LunarGlides? Also, that's what I was thinking of in terms of residual muscle/tendon damage - with the 1/2. Next Tues will be 10 days since the half so I'm sure I'll be good to go by then.

Thanks for the input, you guys. Helps!

The glides were too firm in the heel for me, but you might like them- but have not tried the newer version. They are not a racing shoe though.  So you don't like toe spring. Hmmm. Most flats have some because they help you transition off the toe more efficiently- except the Lunar races that I've tried. And finding a higher drop one is hard too, that is not like really firm too. The toe spring doesn't seem to bother me in the 1400s, but everyone is different. Most places don't have as many women's flats either, but you could always go men's and size down to try on more. Smile

oldfartrunner

OFR: Whatcha running this weekend? 

A local 10K down in the Phoenix area.  They only had 175 last year, and the winning time was slow, so might get the podium or first OldFart.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, the Garmin optical HR monitors suck (I have the 235 as well and it's inconsistent).  The TomTom (the one I use) and the Polar are much better and accurate and receive better reviews on the technology used.

But in any event, if you don't have the right Max, you might be under or over performing on the HR.  Only one way to find out.

My Max is around 196, my easy runs are between 135-145, and marathons at around 155-160 which is where it should be.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, goody.  It took an hour to post that, yay.

Damaris