Beginners and Beyond

Rain drops are falling on my head ThursDAILIES (Read 53 times)

oldfartrunner

At 10k pace though.  Not 5k. Although it was my 5k pr pace 

Sounds like you are ready for a major break through onemile!

onemile

Sounds like you are ready for a major break through onemile!

I am way past the point of major break throughs. I would be happy with a tiny one.

Half Crazy K 2.0

6 with 12 x 1 minute hard, 1 minute recover plus post-run strength training.

Runshortii

We ate at a beachfront restaurant here in Aruba, and saw about 20 people swimming/training following a boat. Made me think of Baboon.

There’s actually a lot of runners down here, more than I see in Wisconsin

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We ate at a beachfront restaurant here in Aruba, and saw about 20 people swimming/training following a boat. Made me think of Baboon.

There’s actually a lot of runners down here, more than I see in Wisconsin

Nice! I saw your comment about me not running outside.  Now you know, lol.

Damaris

oldfartrunner

I am way past the point of major break throughs. I would be happy with a tiny one.

Have you been training consistently for 8-10 years? (I don't know your history) It can take that long for the body to fully adapt to the training process, this esp. in the longer distances. Your natural speed is a capper-just like everyone, but with consistent training you can run closer to your natural speed for longer, which is endurance or stamina. This is esp. true in the marathon.

I plateaued for like 2 years and couldn't break 35 for the 10K back in the day, then Bam! 34:30. Then I was in the 34s for awhile and lowered it again into the 33s.. The only difference was just sticking with it, cycle after cycle. You get use to pushing the edge more and can handle more discomfort, which is a big part of running fast. The trick is not doing too much and causing a injury that will set you back or halt progress altogether. Sad After initial improvement, the edge is everything in order to find your potential. And it sounds like you are pushing it.

Usually, when your paces are now 5K that was 10k, you are ready for what I'd call a major improvement.

Did I say that right?  Just re-read it. You know what I mean.  You are running your old 5K pace for 10k.

Cyberic

Onemile 

Nice workout. Funny how our training paces are often faster than what we can actually do Smile

RunningOnSand

Really nothing to it, IMO. Tomorrow is full commute day. No workout on the menu.

Since it's shoe talk day, and I'll be logging about 100 miles with tomorrow's commute on my Salming Distance D4s, I can say that I love the shoes. I'm an Adidas guy, but I love my Salmings. Where the Adidas are snug, the Salmings are like slippers. They're light weight while still cushioned. I eased into them because of the 5mm drop, but I'm pretty used to it now for easy running. I do not see them as speed work shoes for now, but for easy running, and soon for long runs, they're awesome.

I like NBs also, but the sole does not last as long as the Adidas. I get a better bang for my buck with Adidas than NB.

onemile

Onemile 

Nice workout. Funny how our training paces are often faster than what we can actually do Smile

Thanks. With workouts you get recovery breaks so you can go faster, so it's not that odd

Cyberic

Thanks. With workouts you get recovery breaks so you can go faster, so it's not that odd

I know it isn't odd that we "can" do it. It's funny that we do it instead of following the plan. Well I find it funny Smile

onemile

I know it isn't odd that we "can" do it. It's funny that we do it instead of following the plan. Well I find it funny Smile

oh, it's our competitive nature I think!

DavePNW

Really. And running 5k pace is fun for 800m. For 5000m, not so much.

Dave

DavePNW

Have you been training consistently for 8-10 years? (I don't know your history) It can take that long for the body to fully adapt to the training process, this esp. in the longer distances. Your natural speed is a capper-just like everyone, but with consistent training you can run closer to your natural speed for longer, which is endurance or stamina. This is esp. true in the marathon.

I plateaued for like 2 years and couldn't break 35 for the 10K back in the day, then Bam! 34:30. Then I was in the 34s for awhile and lowered it again into the 33s.. The only difference was just sticking with it, cycle after cycle. You get use to pushing the edge more and can handle more discomfort, which is a big part of running fast. The trick is not doing too much and causing a injury that will set you back or halt progress altogether. Sad After initial improvement, the edge is everything in order to find your potential. And it sounds like you are pushing it.

Usually, when your paces are now 5K that was 10k, you are ready for what I'd call a major improvement.

Did I say that right?  Just re-read it. You know what I mean.  You are running your old 5K pace for 10k.

I thought there was some 7-year rule, that your best times are achieved within the first 7(ish) years after you start running, regardless of how old you are when you start.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I thought there was some 7-year rule, that your best times are achieved within the first 7(ish) years after you start running, regardless of how old you are when you start.

No wonder I'm fucked.  Been running too long!  My times were my best even before I started racing, FTS!

Damaris

DavePNW

No wonder I'm fucked.  Been running too long!  My times were my best even before I started racing, FTS!

IDK your history, but I think the idea is 7 years of reasonably serious training.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

IDK your history, but I think the idea is 7 years of reasonably serious training.

Hmmm, maybe I have year or two.

Damaris