Beginners and Beyond

Rain drops are falling on my head ThursDAILIES (Read 53 times)

oldfartrunner

I thought there was some 7-year rule, that your best times are achieved within the first 7(ish) years after you start running, regardless of how old you are when you start.

Of course some people start fast and make smaller gains over time, and some people start slower and it takes longer for them to achieve their potential. I haven't read 7 years, but if you look at the runner whos goes through high school and college program, that is 8 years or even longer before they turn pro. That is 8 years of consistent training, and they are trained to run fast shorter distances, then slightly longer distance in college, where some will go on to the marathon as pros. This has always been the natural progression. That is why I think it is 8-10 years, and if you start right in with progressive training-as in high school, you will reach your potential quicker.

Age is a factor, but you will still improve as you age (as you said) regardless of when you started-unless you are very old.

I like this story that kinda shows this.

https://www.runnersworld.com/masters/how-to-keep-getting-faster-at-age-66

oldfartrunner

IDK your history, but I think the idea is 7 years of reasonably serious training.

Bingo! And probably longer, esp. in the longer stuff. The aerobic system is a constant work in progress with all the microscopic changes occurring over a long time, whereas the V02 Max and lactate-though not static, will peak out sooner and the changes will then be slower. This is tied to your running speed more or less, whereas the aerobic system is built through easier runs, which most people do 80% of the time anyway. So while you are waiting for your aerobic system to mature, you might as well consistently work on your V02 Max and Lactate system, which enables you to run at a faster pace, which in turn improves your running economy the quickest, which will ultimately improve your long distance speed, and this seems to be the progression of most elites that we all can copy. At least that is my philosophy on training. Smile

http://faculty.washington.edu/crowther/Misc/RBC/model2.shtml

https://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/optimal-long-run-pace/

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/lactatethreshold.html

DavePNW

I haven't read 7 years,

From RW's list of "25 Golden Rules of Running":

12. The Seven-Year Rule
        Runners improve for about seven years.

Mike Tymn noticed this in the early 1980s and wrote about it in his National Masters News column. "My seven-year adaptation theory was based on the fact that so many runners I talked to ran their best times an average of seven years after they started," he recalls.

The Exception: Low-mileage runners can stretch the seven years to well over a decade before plateauing.

But, it's from RW, so it's probably pretty dumb.

Dave

oldfartrunner

12. The Seven-Year Rule

Mike Tymn noticed this in the early 1980s and wrote about it in his National Masters News column. "My seven-year adaptation theory was based on the fact that so many runners I talked to ran their best times an average of seven years after they started," he recalls.

The Exception: Low-mileage runners can stretch the seven years to well over a decade before plateauing.

Thanks, never read that Dave!  But I think low-mileage is more of the norm, and most high school runners go from 30s-50s in 4years. The better ones will then go on to college and gradually up their mileage too, as they get faster and mature. Higher mileage can bring a peak quicker, but injuries tend to crop up more too if we push our mileage limit too soon. We all have to find our ideal mileage for our life situation, and then let consistency and time improve us.

DavePNW

Thanks, never read that Dave!  But I think low-mileage is more of the norm, and most high school runners go from 30s-50s in 4years. The better ones will then go on to college and gradually up their mileage too, as they get faster and mature. Higher mileage can bring a peak quicker, but injuries tend to crop up more too if we push our mileage limit too soon. We all have to find our ideal mileage for our life situation, and then let consistency and time improve us.

Heh, I never read it till just now, when I decided to Google it. I had heard it from a guy who said it was a thing. and it kind of stuck in my head. Because I'm pushing that point and wondering if I'm plateauing. Guess I'll get another data point in a few days.

Dave

Coastal

ROS:  I tried the glides about 4 years ago and really liked the ride.  But then I'm over 200 and like some cushion under my feet.  The downside was the uppers.  I had some blister issues with the inside of the forefoot but that's probably due to my really weird feet.  The new ones look to have much improved uppers.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

12. The Seven-Year Rule

RW wasn't that bad in the early '80s. Mike Tymn was a well respected runner and author.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

Then you've got some like Quinn the Eskimo in L&O who ran like a 4:30 first marathon and 10 years later ran a 2:45 and is still improving.

<3

onemile

Then you've got some like Quinn the Eskimo in L&O who ran like a 4:30 first marathon and 10 years later ran a 2:45 and is still improving.

But was he seriously training all of those years?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Most likely. That seems to be how they do it before the new version comes.  I just had to order me a pair at that price!

Adidas was quiet about discontinuing the 5's and bringing in the 6's... at least I couldn't find much online info about it.  Or maybe my Google button is broken.   We'll see if they come out with 7's... I'm moving over to playing in dirt anyway.

Good Luck this weekend!!!! 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

delicate flower

But was he seriously training all of those years?

I believe his training got progressively more serious.  His marathon times got faster and faster.

<3

DavePNW

IDK about that part, I think he's way backed off on his running in general, certainly has not improved on that time. Unless he just never talks about it. But he's also some kind of physical freak who ran that 2:45 at age 46 or something. Not sure what he did for those 10 years. Anyway, there's gonna be exceptions, it's not so much a rule as a guideline.

Dave

oldfartrunner

Adidas was quiet about discontinuing the 5's and bringing in the 6's... at least I couldn't find much online info about it.  Or maybe my Google button is broken.   We'll see if they come out with 7's... I'm moving over to playing in dirt anyway.

Good Luck this weekend!!!! 

Thanks Berto!  Nike seems to do that too, unless it is a sub-2 hour $250.00 dollar shoe.  Probably cause they are like giant companies. I might play in the dirt this spring some myself, but nothing like your distances.

oldfartrunner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K_qLZ3T8Ws

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't think I can improve much more than where I am right now (maybe back to the 4:30s) even if I go back to the 2500+ miles a year.  But that won't deter me from trying, lol.

Damaris