Beginners and Beyond

Throw-It-Down Thursdailies (Read 33 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Waving from TN. Cats are super calmed today. Hershey did fight the rear wiper several times. He meowed at it in fear.

Lol I couldn't imagine driving with any of my cats across multiple states. Hell, just the 15-20 minute drive from the house to the vet is so damn dramatic and annoying.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

Well Hansons would do that at MP-10 sec; mine was at roughly MP-45-60 sec (depending on what my MP actually is right now). There's one like that in my McMillan custom plan, although I took slightly longer recoveries than I should have.

MTA: I never liked those MP-10 workouts, I just thought that was a weird, uncomfortable pace. Too fast to be easy, but not fast enough to feel like a "serious" workout.

Read that comment yesterday, was going to answer, something came up, and then I forgot.

It makes for a pretty tough workout the way you did it. Do you use your true (estimated) MP or a MP pace that correlates to your pace at other distances, if those are different? In my case MP fits (different calculators), but I know for many it doesn't. Actual MP is slower. In that case, I wonder which MP you should use for MP-10 or MP-30 or whatever.

I'm asking because MP-10 for me would be pretty much my true HMP. In that case, MP-10 is not such a weird pace IMO.

DavePNW

Read that comment yesterday, was going to answer, something came up, and then I forgot.

It makes for a pretty tough workout the way you did it. Do you use your true (estimated) MP or a MP pace that correlates to your pace at other distances, if those are different? In my case MP fits (different calculators), but I know for many it doesn't. Actual MP is slower. In that case, I wonder which MP you should use for MP-10 or MP-30 or whatever.

I'm asking because MP-10 for me would be pretty much my true HMP. In that case, MP-10 is not such a weird pace IMO.

I didn't actually base this workout on MP at all, I was going for LT/tempo pace (ended up close to 10k). I just used the MP reference in order to compare to the Hansons workout. Your HMP is only 10 sec slower than MP? Mine is more like 30 sec. MP-10 for me is basically what I do my MP workouts at; they just end up being faster than I can actually race at.

Dave

DavePNW

Here’s something hilarious I found saved on my phone. This is last year’s Boston race day forecast, about 10 days out. Just like it turned out, right Baboon? A cautionary tale for next year’s first-timers.

Dave

Cyberic

I didn't actually base this workout on MP at all, I was going for LT/tempo pace (ended up close to 10k). I just used the MP reference in order to compare to the Hansons workout. Your HMP is only 10 sec slower than MP? Mine is more like 30 sec. MP-10 for me is basically what I do my MP workouts at; they just end up being faster than I can actually race at.

Right. I asked about Hansons. 3x2 miles at near 10K pace is quite a workout!

My HM PR is at about 6:41  pace, my marathon PR on a downhill course was at a pace of 6:50, and my marathon PR on flat was at a pace of   6:54 (if my calculations are correct). So MP-10 is pretty close to HMP.

delicate flower

Here’s something hilarious I found saved on my phone. This is last year’s Boston race day forecast, about 10 days out. Just like it turned out, right Baboon? A cautionary tale for next year’s first-timers.

And BAA sent us this e-mail five days out!   hahaharofl roffles

WEATHER UPDATE

Early forecasts for the 2019 Boston Marathon are showing the potential for rain showers with cold temperatures ranging from 46 to 53 degrees Fahrenheit/7 to 12 degrees Celsius. However, New England weather can change from day to day. We encourage you to be familiar with the forecast as you make your final race preparations – and to pack for cold, wet weather.

Please keep in mind the following:

• If raining and cold, dress in layers. Hats, gloves, tights, and long sleeves will help keep you warm.
              • If you do chose to run with a poncho or any rain protectant shell, please use a clear, visible style so as to make your bib number visible.
              • You should wear your bib on your outer most layer in order to assure your timing chip operates properly.

As the weekend approaches, please pay attention to additional information from the B.A.A.

<3

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Oh, and Wolvmar--let us know how your PT appt went!

it went about as expected. He agreed I've likely got chronic proximal hamstring tendinosis. He did some sound wave treatment and cross grain massage, some with his elbow (which hurt a bit!) and also a pulsing thing (forgot to ask what that device was). He recommended another 3-4 treatments to see if it responds. Said I could run but keep the pace slow and don't stress it too much for now.  He liked LRBs hamstring flossing exercise so I'll continue doing that.

Because I've been dealing with this on and off for so long (about 10 years, maybe a bit more) he said it may be a slower process. It does feel a little better than usual for this time of day which could be from the massage and also it's been feeling better in general this week. I'm going for treatment #2 Monday morning at 7am which will be a treat but that's about the only time I can go other than taking a half day like I did today (I also had to get a new drivers license and spent 2 hours waiting at and near the secretary of state office).

Thanks for asking.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Strength training.

onemile

Lol I couldn't imagine driving with any of my cats across multiple states. Hell, just the 15-20 minute drive from the house to the vet is so damn dramatic and annoying.

I have started giving Gracie trazadone (med for anxiety) 2 hours prior to her vet appointment and it's much more pleasant for everyone!  Can you do such a thing with cats?  I wish I had known about this years ago

DavePNW

And BAA sent us this e-mail five days out!   hahaharofl roffles

WEATHER UPDATE

Early forecasts for the 2019 Boston Marathon are showing the potential for rain showers with cold temperatures ranging from 46 to 53 degrees Fahrenheit/7 to 12 degrees Celsius. However, New England weather can change from day to day. We encourage you to be familiar with the forecast as you make your final race preparations – and to pack for cold, wet weather.

Please keep in mind the following:

• If raining and cold, dress in layers. Hats, gloves, tights, and long sleeves will help keep you warm.
                      • If you do chose to run with a poncho or any rain protectant shell, please use a clear, visible style so as to make your bib number visible.
                      • You should wear your bib on your outer most layer in order to assure your timing chip operates properly.

As the weekend approaches, please pay attention to additional information from the B.A.A.

I hope you remembered to bring your hats, gloves, and tights.

Dave

ap4

I have started giving Gracie trazadone (med for anxiety) 2 hours prior to her vet appointment and it's much more pleasant for everyone!  Can you do such a thing with cats?  I wish I had known about this years ago

Gabapentin works wonders in some cats. Mellow, happy high. Just keep them inside and away from ledges for 8-12 hours. Other cats, no effect and they are still stress cases.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

No idea lol, I just put them in their cat carrier and turn the music up so I don't have to hear them 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Actually, people were right when they told me they will calm down after an hour. When I have my computer up and running later this weekend I’ll post the pics of the chillaxed cats.

We are 3 hours out from my house.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Gabapentin works wonders in some cats. Mellow, happy high. Just keep them inside and away from ledges for 8-12 hours. Other cats, no effect and they are still stress cases.

Since Hershey has died twice with anesthesia we ended up not giving them anything but sprayed the van with feliway spray and let them loose.

You know they are spoiled when we rented a van just for cats and their supplies and my car is full of my shit (driven by my car).

Damaris

RunningOnSand

Ha, so I did ask him where it came from. He said a friend insisted that marathoners regularly shit themselves because they can't stop to use the bathroom. I said that I would not use the word "regularly", but it's been known to happen, and then ended up explaining the PM to him after all.

LOL