Beginners and Beyond

Which Race Would You Do? (Read 50 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, so yes I already registered for the Mark Twain Endurance 50 back in.... it was either December or January, and had my sights set on it even when I was invited to register for the 2016 Spirit Crusher Survival trail race. They are both on the same day - September 17.

But right now DH and I and the business are trying to budget finances and everything, and the cabin for a week is going to be like $1,200 with payments being split into 4...... I haven't reminded DH of this vacation trip since our deciding to budget everything, I am not really sure if he'll want to go ahead with it (I've already made one payment, and not sure if I would get it back after cancelling).

So just in case, I decided to look more into the other race.

To save time from typing, I'll post the race links.

The Mark Twain Endurance 50 - http://stlouisultrarunnersgroup.net/mark-twain-50100-miles.html or http://stlouisultrarunnersgroup.net/assets/mark-twain-50-100-runner-information.pdf for more in depth detail.

Summary: Basically it is on a 25 mile trail loop, and the cut off time is 16 hours. It is in Barryman, MO and there is a medal for finishing.

Elevation gain: 5,000 feet

The Spirit Crusher Survival  Run - https://runsignup.com/Race/IN/Evansville/SpiritCrusher

This one is in Evansville, IN so only a 15-25 minute drive from my home. Only the cost of the race ($75) with no other costs.

It will be on a 4.25 mile trail loop at Angel Mounds and the trails are pretty damn flat, probably less than 1,200 feet of elevation gain for something like 50 miles.

You'll have an hour for each loop starting at 7 AM, each loop will start on the clock - 7 AM, 8 AM, 9 AM and so on. The last one out there and to finish wins. Last year a guy I know (that also ran Monday's Boston race) won it, running 50 miles in 9 hours.

There is no medal, no buckle, nothing for finishing it.

So, you can also check out the link and let me hear your opinions.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I would do the 12 hour race and have a goal of 50 miles.  IMO, if you have never done a 50 miler (and I have not), the timed race is less stressful.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I would do the 12 hour race and have a goal of 50 miles.  IMO, if you have never done a 50 miler (and I have not), the timed race is less stressful.

I'm thinking the same, but it keeps bugging me that there is no finisher award  I want something for my efforts lol.

And also what kind of worries me is the pancake flat terrain..... I mean sure it'll be easier but also tempting to push hard early on and pay for it later.....

And although a 4.25 mile loop is easier to digest than a 25 mile loop... especially trails I've been on hundreds of times.... it just seems like it'll get boring fast, be tempting to quit after 5-8 hours while on a 25 mile loop I'd be forced to stay out there lol.

I've got until August 31 to decide on registering for the SCSR, but it's a tough decision nonetheless.

I keep going back and forth on the pros and cons - new trails I've never been on... but very hilly which will be very tough on the second loop.

Trails I've been on hundreds of times, but flat and timed...

Decisions, decisions.... though it will mainly be decided by DH if he doesn't want to spend the money on the cabin....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

Decisions, decisions.... though it will mainly be decided by DH if he doesn't want to spend the money on the cabin....

Well shouldn't you send him a link to this poll then?

LRB

I personally would avoid anything with the names spirit crusher, nut splitter, ball buster or get your ass handed to you. lol

music_girl117

Ultras are out of my wheelhouse, but I also think the timed race would be better.  Like Damaris said, it would be less stressful without a traditional finishing time, and maybe it would be a good intermediate step before tackling the hilly 50.  (I can't recall if you've done an ultra before?  If you have then maybe you feel more comfortable with the 25-mile trail loop, but wow does that sound scary to me!)

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I just glanced at the Spirit Crusher website. That is not a typical timed race, although not like I'm an expert on these things. Each lap starts on the hour, you have to be done before the start of the next hour. Seems ok in the early going, but add in bathroom stops, food, drink, etc, it could wind up being a short day.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, LRB I don't think the details would really matter to him - the cost difference is what would matter to him lol. I will be bringing the vacation up to him again before the end of next month.

Lol, it's just what they decided to call it. Trust me, it's more leisurely than brutal.... I was actually on the trails that morning when runners began and they kept tempting me to join but I had the dogs with me and hadn't even known about the race (wouldn't have been smart to try anyways.....).

Music_girl - this will be my first ultra, but I don't fear that large loop so much as I feel it would make quitting harder lol. Also, new trails are always so tempting for me. But I have only done 13.1 mile loops and those are tough so I am not sure what one large 25 mile loop would be like (mentally) - but I haven't even begun training for an Ultra yet so who knows.

The 4.25 mile loop definitely sounds much easier, and a 1 hour cutoff isn't too bad sounding....

But damn it, I want a reward for my efforts!!! Lol, something to hang on the wall other than the tee shirt, and a custom race bib. There is a cash prize for the top 3 though..... $10 of each registration will go to the cash purse - 1st place gets 50%, 2nd place gets 35% and 3rd place gets 15%.

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Except this isn't a standard fixed time race. It's rigidly structured to run 4.25 miles, no more, no less, every hour. Miss it by a few seconds and you're out.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I just glanced at the Spirit Crusher website. That is not a typical timed race, although not like I'm an expert on these things. Each lap starts on the hour, you have to be done before the start of the next hour. Seems ok in the early going, but add in bathroom stops, food, drink, etc, it could wind up being a short day.

Very true, unless you are very fast. I'd be taking my pack with me and would try to make it to 26 miles before needing to stop for any real kind of food, and though I can not say anything about bathroom stops.... I didn't have to stop once during the LBLM last month.... which is honestly very strange and rare for me lol. On these trails I can usually cover a distance of 4.25 miles in 40 minutes or less during races but during a race like this I'd be going my easy pace which would still have me until 50 minutes and that's going with my fitness now. Hopefully I'll be able to train harder and put quite a bit of mileage on my body to prepare for an ultra and those later stages.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Except this isn't a standard fixed time race. It's rigidly structured to run 4.25 miles, no more, no less, every hour. Miss it by a few seconds and you're out.

True, very true.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The guys and gals from the Trailer Trash group are making quite a bit of sense, as wcrunner2 mentioned.

Spirit Crushers don't give much room for rest or error with that whole one hour each loop .......

PRs

Brilliant

I'm confused as to why you need a cabin for a whole week for the Mark Twain race; the website says weekend camping is free.

I think you could do the Spirit Crusher (although I'm with LRB on the name!).  Pace yourself in the early laps so you don't lose momentum and have to slow down too much in the later laps.  Too bad about the lack o' medals.  If you do it, I'll laminate a medallion or certificate or something for you. 

Brilliant

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm confused as to why you need a cabin for a whole week for the Mark Twain race; the website says weekend camping is free.

I think you could do the Spirit Crusher (although I'm with LRB on the name!).  Pace yourself in the early laps so you don't lose momentum and have to slow down too much in the later laps.  Too bad about the lack o' medals.  If you do it, I'll laminate a medallion or certificate or something for you. 

It would be a nice vacation for the family, we don't have a camper and I'm not buying a tent for a week nor trying to keep 2 dogs and a kid in a tent along with DH and my 2 stepsons. It would be a nice getaway from Indiana and our shop from a Monday to the following Sunday. We like to try and have at least one full week vacation a year.

I thought about the pacing, and the first 2-3 hours, maybe even 5 or 6 hours wouldn't be awful and I am sure I could stay under an hour each loop... but that only leaves me 10-15, 20 minutes max for any errors, bathroom breaks or some much needed hiking....

It's definitely something I've got to think about...

PRs