Beginners and Beyond

Weekend Penguins (Read 22 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

Is anyone racing this weekend?

I'm going to try to run some distance both days this weekend.  Even if it is just a mile each day, that's better than being completely lazy.  Probably it'll be on the treadmill because my lungs with bronchitis are not friends with the cold weather.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Tried to run on the TM this morning. My right knee still has a tender spot so I figured I'd better give it more time rather than push it. I've got a half the end of Feb so I have a little time. Maybe try the elliptical tomorrow.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning PAD, Jill and Pens.

We will try for 3 miles when it warms up to 20*.

Oh..Oh, I'm being drafted into team captain.  Not sure if I'm qualified after only 1 year.  Could be interesting.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - what does the Captain do, nag team members to run more and turn in their miles?  That doesn't take experience, just a thick skin. Stay warm.

Jill - sorry your lungs are still giving you grief.  Maybe keep the pace really slow and easy, so you aren't breathing hard.

PAD - good idea to let the knee rest a bit more.  Everything will heal better with the rest.

AFM:  I have 9 today and am trying to figure out what to wear. The temperature is warmer than predicted (yay!) but the feels like is still in the 20s.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I just finished a 12 mile progression run and the last two miles hurt. Coming home from a long run is always uphill so I have to remind myself that "Hills are our friends. They will make us strong and fast."  Let's hope so.  Tonight we have a sweater party so the Festivus sweater is coming out.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

It was up to 25* when we finally got out, but still glad I dug out the balaclava.  Sunny and no wind, so it was a nice 4 miles at our cold weather pace.

Ginny, I think it also to nag about posting their miles on time.

Happy Festivus, Jack.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Tried to run on the TM this morning. My right knee still has a tender spot so I figured I'd better give it more time rather than push it. I've got a half the end of Feb so I have a little time. Maybe try the elliptical tomorrow.

Cowtown is not an easy half! Especially that hill leading to 9/10.

As a note: it took me months! To really recover from my full.

Philliefan33

Kind of chilly long run today.  Temp was 40 but the windchill was 30. At least I scored some points in the winter running game.

PADRunner

Cowtown is not an easy half! Especially that hill leading to 9/10.

As a note: it took me months! To really recover from my full.

Yea I know the hill from hell. Just when you think your done you turn the corner and there's more, and steeper!

Congrats on the 10k!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Sorry for being MIA but went to Pilates in the morning, to watch the new Star Wars, to go grocery shopping, to running 9 with hubby.  Now finally sitting in a computer for longer than 5 minutes.  Hope everybody is doing well.

Damaris

Zelanie

Howdy!  Busy busy here with getting through the last week of school, the miles game, then covering somebody's shifts for WW.  But I did run 10 on the TM. Smile  It's my first run over 1 mile all week.   Also, it mostly wasn't raining all that hard, I maybe could have gone outside, but didn't really want to.  It has been raining for a solid 2 weeks now.  Today it was at least a little lighter (enough to generate almost 18 kWh!).

PADRunner

Did an hour on the elliptical this morning.

SheCan

Good morning weekend Penguins!

Jill, Sad   Hope your lungs feel better soon.

Jerry-- Brrrrr, and I'm glad it did warm up over 20*!   Hope you have another "warm" one today.  And, you'll be a fabulous captain.

Ginny, you're so impressive.  Do you have any training races between now and the marathon?

Jack, knowing you, and you zoomed up that hill.  We wanna see pics of you in that festivus sweater!

Docket-- man, that sounds really cool for down there.  If your'e like me, you freeze as soon as the temps are under 50*.  Makes it easier to get those miles though.   Glad hubby is getting those miles with you.  Enjoy your sitdown!

Hi everyone else!

Did 9 pokey miles on Friday-- which was the longest I've ran in eons.  4-1/2 hill miles yesterday which felt much easier than Friday?  Weirdly, every time I start my "long run" then I start fading earlier then on my normal days.  I'm thinking it might be psychological.  Today, enjoying a run day off.  I think hubby has some shopping plans for us.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

It was a beautiful day here - sunny and 38 at the start, 43 by the time I finished my run.  I did 19.2 miles on a route I really enjoy.  I did it last year when doing my marathon training and it has sections that feel very remote - like trail running except on pavement - with quiet roads that parallel a creek and some steeply rolling hills in the middle followed by several miles of very gentle rolling.

Cherie - no races before my marathon. Because of the uncertain weather, there aren't many races around here this time of year.  The few 5ks I've heard about are a pretty long drive.  It means going into the marathon with no idea whether or not there has been any improvement in the past year.  The only HM I ran before beginning training this cycle, I blew up pretty badly, so not a great indication of fitness.