Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Pay Taxes Weekendaily (Read 15 times)

Brilliant

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Brilliant

Don't forget you need to mail your taxes by Monday!  Mine (state & fed) were done before we left for Spain because we had big refunds coming. It was nice to see those refunds in the bank account when I returned!  Anybody working on taxes all weekend?

Anybody else racing besides Scotty and Damaris?

Ginny, sorry you didn't feel up to running yesterday.  I too am up against regular aches & pains, but have also decided it's not worth it to give up running.  On Thursday I took a rest day because my body just needed a rest day!  Do you ever run/walk?  About a year ago I had weaned myself off run/walk but then started using it again on my easy & long runs.  5:1 seems to give my body enough of a break that it reduces the aches & pains.  I no longer use the run/walk when I'm racing or tempo running but I just feel better when I use it for daily training.

As soon as the sun is up I'm headed out for 10 or so.

PADRunner

No racing or taxes for me. DI both last weekend. Just 5 miles this morning.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Slow 3.1 miles at Fort Sam Houston this morning.  Drizzly weather all weekend, I got a nice little soaking while out there.  All good, though, felt pretty good with this darn humidity and higher dewpoint we're having all weekend.

No refund, we owed a small bit this year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Warm sunny day, the first that felt like summer, so my run felt hard, though it shouldn't have since I kept the pace slow and brought water. OTOH, everybody was mowing their lawns today, which made it hard to breathe. I did 7.5 miles, then started on our lawn.  Jim came out to finish it after I'd only done about 1/3. It was much appreciated.

We filed our taxes in January, then had to resubmit after we got back from our trip because one of the taxpayer IDs was mis-typed. Good thing we didn't wait until the last minute.

Allison, I hope your ten went well.

Scotty - good job getting out in the rain. I hope you have a dry race tomorrow.

PAD - good job on the early 5.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I submitted about a month ago.  Now I'm waiting to see if the estimated payments go through the way they are supposed to.

3.0 run/walk with DW and I did actually sweat (a little)

Hope you didn't drip on the floor, Scotty and Allison Smile

PADRunner

A couple on the treadmill this morning.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I did a tiny run yesterday (1.4 miles) and I'll do something today.  I just looked at my race calendar and I have a lot of stuff coming up so I really need to start running consistently again =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

10 with the Sunday morning running group on the bike path.  It was slow as there was only 1 other runner as slow as me.  3 mile walk/walk with DW on the bridle path (safer than the bike path).   Think I can do the Illinois HM in 2 weeks.

Zelanie

Ran a HM today because I was registered and it is the big local race and everyone was going to be there. Including my PT who saw me right before the start- busted! 

The good news is that my shin/calf really stopped complaining after about mile 5.

The bad news is that my piriformis or butt hurt the whole entire way. I just ran it as a slow shuffle because I've been injured, haven't run that far in a while, and it's going to be fucking 85 degrees here even though it was 45 and raining 3 days ago and there's no shade on the course.

I actally wonder if the butt hurt because I was running so slowly, but at least I ran a pace I could maintain.  Walked every water station, and by halfway was getting water and Ultima at each one just to maintain. And by running evenly in horrible conditions, I passed a ton of people in the second half.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

85* in April? Hope it cools down by August Smile

GinnyinPA

Melanie - congratulations on finishing the half, despite pain and heat.  It doesn't sound like fun, but you did it. Given a similar situation this weekend, I opted out, and I'm a bit sorry about it. (Body not ready to run fast and unseasonal heat predicted and an afternoon race.)  OTOH, I hadn't signed up in advance, so it was easy to look at the temps and say, "No thanks."

Jerry - I'm glad you're going to do your half in two weeks.  Your wife can cheer you on.  Do you think she'll be able to do any of the races this spring?

Jill - you need to update your sig line.  Which races are you doing soon?

PAD - was it rain or heat that kept you inside?

Damaris - congratulations on finishing your double this weekend.

AFM:  I didn't want to go far today, so I did a hilly route to make up.  It was hot enough I ended up taking a break in the shade to cool down, but at least I slogged up the hills.

Zelanie

Ginny, there's no way I would have run if I hadn't signed up months ago.

Jerry, usually this would be summer weather, but last August was like 108 so who knows what we have in store. This was a 9:30 AM start which was especially painful.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Melanie - congratulations on finishing the half, despite pain and heat.  It doesn't sound like fun, but you did it. Given a similar situation this weekend, I opted out, and I'm a bit sorry about it. (Body not ready to run fast and unseasonal heat predicted and an afternoon race.)  OTOH, I hadn't signed up in advance, so it was easy to look at the temps and say, "No thanks."

Jerry - I'm glad you're going to do your half in two weeks.  Your wife can cheer you on.  Do you think she'll be able to do any of the races this spring?

Jill - you need to update your sig line.  Which races are you doing soon?

PAD - was it rain or heat that kept you inside?

Damaris - congratulations on finishing your double this weekend.

AFM:  I didn't want to go far today, so I did a hilly route to make up.  It was hot enough I ended up taking a break in the shade to cool down, but at least I slogged up the hills.

Updated.  A few 4 milers, a half, and a 10k are on tap.  Hubby will do the 4 milers and the 10k with me.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)