Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins (Read 21 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I just got some cheap headlamps from amazon.  It seems like there are several sellers selling identical models that are just branded a bit differently.  Hubby is in the miles game as well, so I got two of them for $15 each.  I figure if one somehow fails on the trip at least there are two of them =D  Iceland should hopefully be fun.  This is more of a vacation geared towards my hubby, northern lights and all that jazz.  I'd much rather be in a south american tropical country speaking spanish but a vacation is still a vacation.

Today it is supposed to be warm in the afternoon so I think I'll definitely get outside.  I've gotten kind of lazy and used to the treadmill, which is something I never thought would happen.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Robert31320

Team TJ

2 for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Zelanie

Iceland sounds awesome!  Although I would rather be in the tropics speaking Spanish myself!

Zelanie

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning, Penguins!!  We had to cancel quartet rehearsal because our bass is having muscle spasms across her lower back.  I told her I used to get those but they stopped when I started running.  I don't think she'll take the hint, though!  Chorus rehearsal tonight, for sure!

Jill -- I would also opt for tropical over snow, but have fun!!

Robert -- woo-hoo for your 2!!

Zelanie -- good morning, you running goddess!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Philliefan33

4.75 miles for me.  I had dead legs, but slogged through and got it done.

SheCan

Jill-- I'm sure you'll have a marvelous time.  Heck, I'm psyched for you!  How long are you going to be there?

Hey ya Robert & Zel--aka running goddess.

HM-- well hopefully your friend will be feeling better tonight & practice can go on.

Margo-- yeah, I hear you on the dead legs, that was me yesterday.  Good job though for pulling through.

I looked out the back window today, and had to take a picture because it looked particularly pretty to me for some reason.    So yes, i love waking up to this view.  Today was about 47* when I finally ran.  It shoulda felt perfect but was a bit windy, cloudy and sprinkly so was cooler than i was expected.  Still ended up with 8 miles, so I'm quite happy!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

After 3.5 days of freezing in my office, I remembered that I'd stashed a space heater in the lab to dry samples onto plates.    So I have now liberated it!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Not sure what I did to earn my new title,  but that will be my motivation for later today for sure!  Much better than "run like a tired person who just worked two jobs".

Cheri- Great photo! I love living where I am, but you just don't get scenery like that.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's a comparative thing.  

Zelanie

It's a comparative thing.  

We can't all be singing goddesses. 

Wandering Wally

Rest day yesterday as I was the taxi driver for the kids. Planning on getting out there tonight before the weather turns to crap.

Ginny - Following up from yesterday: Yes, the Bayshore half fills QUICK. You have to be on the site to register right as it opens up. I've never run it as roads aren't really my thing. I prefer trails and the solitude of the forest. Many of my friends have run it and have all had positive things to say about it. Some others in the area that would be good alternatives: Glen Arbor Solstice Half in June; Charlevoix Half in June; Waugochance Trail Half in July; Sleeping Bear Half in October; and the Great Turtle Half on Mackinac Island in October.

JIll - Have fun in Iceland.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

GinnyinPA

Jill - I hope your running weather was as nice as ours and that your run was a good one. I have a couple of friends who are professional travel writers.  They spent a couple of weeks last year in Iceland, exploring all sorts of beautiful places.  I was quite envious.

HopesMom - sorry about last night's rehearsal.  I hope tonight's is a good one.  Yay for finding the space heater.  I had one job where we used to short out the whole floor on a regular basis because so many of us needed space heaters to be able to work.  It's hard to type when your fingers are frozen.

Robert - good work on the two.

Damaris - hurray for completing your first race.  How did it go?

Margo - congratulations on getting it done when you really didn't want to.  Some days are harder than others.

Cherie - beautiful view.  Good work building your mileage back up.  Are you feeling better after your break from running?

I did 5.6 cool (40) sunny miles.  I felt quite good today, so ended up doing most of it at MP.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Only 2.5 for me (40* pace), but I did go to the gym and used the Jacob's Ladder again for 5 minutes.  Took my HRM and hit 145. It's kind of difficult since you have to hit the rungs with both feet and hands while trying to keep the right tension on the belt that goes around the waist...and I don't multitask very well Smile

Thanks for the Traverse City tips, MJ.  I'll try to register.  We also want to give the ferry from Milwaukee a try.  Maybe hit some breweries on the way back.