Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 30 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Derek needs to keep producing content to keep his web$ite active and get more hit$

And that I think was why he did this many articles.  He wants to be noticed by the RDs so he is not so dependent on donations.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

And that I think was why he did this many articles.  He wants to be noticed by the RDs so he is not so dependent on donations.

He's doing what the RDs should be doing.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I don't check Marathon Investigation on a regular basis, but did see the earlier articles at FM. It seems like the articles and media frenzy could have easily been avoided had the LA Marathon issued a DQ ASAP after the race and not almost 4 months after the race. It seems like it would be justified given FM was told that he needed to run with an observer and did not. Reading the DQ notice, I have to wonder, if there were on course cameras, why the f did the LA Marathon not review this immediately post-race given the "world record"?

I agree with onemile, that Derek wants the races to show him the $$.

I can sort of see contacting the school, but only in the early stages of investigating--if FM is saying he runs with the team, seems reasonable to get confirmation of this. Maybe you do contact some past runners to get their opinion.

ETA, I always see the comments on MI about other runners on the course & asking them what they remember. In really small races (like under 50 people), I usually know my placement. Unless the other runners are women I've seen many times, I wouldn't be able to answer any post-race questions about them-what they looked like, did I remember them at point A, etc. In a large race, I don't remember anything about other runners unless they did something really fucking annoying, like blast a song on repeat with no headphones, run the opposite way on the course, etc. So I can sort of see how the cheating stuff isn't really found until after the race when someone has a suspicion. But there still needs to be some sort of timeliness.

RunningOnSand

I'm all for calling them out but when you post about it daily (I just scrolled his page and he has 4 articles still active and he did more than 4) and get angry when the RDs don't DQ a person so you do some more and you see the comments going haywire with people going all crazy and insulting, when do you start bearing responsibility for inciting the issue more?  It's a tough question, but I think Derek did go overboard in this instance.  You can write an article and send it to the RD, and let people talk, but are the 4-5 additional articles about him inciting more than educating?  I frankly find the fact that he called the school he works at and asked them if they knew he had cheated at a race is a bit too far, IMO. He did a paparazzi in this one.

I agree with this.

Derek needs to keep producing content to keep his web$ite active and get more hit$

And this is likely true, and makes me really sad. To put someone on public scrutiny repeatedly (and call their place of employment?!) and shame them, all for the sake of money.  Ugh. Seriously. This is part of the ugliness of humanity.

I took a RD today, switching it with tomorrow. Yesterday's run felt like garbage, and today's plan was a fartlek run so I did something totally out of the ordinary for me, and listened to my body, not the coach's plan. Hoping I feel better tomorrow.

LRB

garbage

Could be my new screen name lol

LRB

I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other with the cheating situation. I just always cringe when they get caught because most often they double-down on their story which makes the do gooders want to bust them even more. Like, these people make it their mission to expose them as frauds at any cost, in which this case was the ultimate price. Dude should've honestly just unplugged from the internet and gone on with his life. Having his employer dragged into it though might have made it unbearable, I don't know. That was an extreme step to take. I could never condone it short of some sort of heinous act on the part of the offender. And even then it's not my place to do that...

LRB

I ended up running 7 (8 x 600m which measured closer to 627m) with the crew. I've been feeling like complete crap the past couple of days and was totally content with running easy tonight but then the strangest thing happened; I was slogging through the warm up then had to speed up to get out of the way of some pedestrians and bikers. The resulting extension felt good to my legs, so I decided I would do one of the intervals and then run the rest easy but that felt even better. Long story short, I just sort of took it one by one and found a groove and had a pretty decent workout, go figure!

Half Crazy K 2.0

8 miles, first non-sucky run in quite a while. Helps that it was easily 20 degrees cooler than it's been. Played around and did 15 minutes easy, 15 minutes HM effort, 2 minutes recover, 10 minutes 10k/HM effort, 1 mile easy, 2 miles 1 minute hard, 1 minute recover. Did the longer intervals by looking at the watch and didn't hit the lap button, so no clue what the pace really was.

LRB

I ran 10 miles with 6x2 min hills and then 15 minutes tempo

A different type of workout but solid.

It looks like you're on my ass for overall yearly mileage. And here I thought that was a mountain lion bearing down on me.

onemile

I ended up running 7 (8 x 600m which measured closer to 627m) with the crew. I've been feeling like complete crap the past couple of days and was totally content with running easy tonight but then the strangest thing happened; I was slogging through the warm up then had to speed up to get out of the way of some pedestrians and bikers. The resulting extension felt good to my legs, so I decided I would do one of the intervals and then run the rest easy but that felt even better. Long story short, I just sort of took it one by one and found a groove and had a pretty decent workout, go figure!

I was feeling that way (sore legs, etc) last week and wondering if it was due to the heat/humidity, which has lifted the past couple days.

I don't know how you can do these workouts at night in 80 degrees though

onemile

A different type of workout but solid.

It looks like you're on my ass for overall yearly mileage. And here I thought that was a mountain lion bearing down on me.

It is supposed to be a "speed stamina" workout, which is what I am lacking apparently   Something new which  makes things interesting anyway

Give me two weeks 

LRB

I don't know how you can do these workouts at night in 80 degrees though

I think the key has been to not blowup on the first interval or two, and taking walk breaks during the recovery every so often.

It seems we all go through the feeling like shit phase every summer. This one was peculiar for me because it came during a cutback week, what??

LRB

Give me two weeks 

Just so you know, I'm not gonna just lie down and let you run all over me...

Walk all over me maybe, but run? Hells to tha no. Be ready to step yo game up Missy

RunningOnSand

Could be my new screen name lol

Lol. Misery loves company. 😉😁

RunningOnSand

Nicely done. When that happens, it’s like the running gods are smiling down on you.