Beginners and Beyond

The DAILIES Sunday Edition (Read 45 times)

LRB

So what is the strategy with your marathon training?  Going about it Hanson style, via Daniels?

Hmm, that is an interesting way to look at it.

My plan is to pick up on Daniels marathon plan A in week 18 (of 24) on August 30, and follow that through race day (October 20) with a tweak or two.  Up until that point, I will continue with my 5k training as it is with an increase in mileage towards the latter part of August, and carry that mileage for all of September.

I currently run in the low 40's.  I will probably run in the high 50's for a spell, and stick a toe into the waters of a couple of 60 ish mile weeks before it is all said and done.

It is probably not ideal, but the idea appeals to me, and we all know how so very important it is to do something you want to do where marathon training is concerned.  Ultimately, I just do not want to slog through the July and August heat running a crap load of miles and long runs.

I have not finalized a time goal for the event, it will be challenging, but nothing near what my vdot value says I could run because that would take a really good four month training cycle, and the commitment that goes with it.

Good morning, everyone.

Rick, thanks for starting today's thread. Great eight.

Damaris, brava on the sixteen. I enjoy reading about your training.

DaveP MI, I'm thrilled that your 5.28 were pain-free.

B-Plus, have an excellent eighteen-miler.

kristin10185, congratulations on the PR!

SIAR, awesome eighteen.

Ric-G, wonderful eight.

I did an 11.5-mile progression run on the TM in 1:44:21. a not-too-easy, but not-too-comfortable, 9:05 average pace. Splits:

Mile 1 - 6.1mph (9:49)
      Mile 2 - 6.2mph (9:40)
      Mile 3 - 6.3mph (9.31)
      Mile 4 - 6.4mph (9:22)

Mile 5 - 6.5mph (9:13)
      Mile 6 - 6.6mph (9:05)
      Mile 7 - 6.7mph (8:57)
      Mile 8 - 6.8mph (8:49)
      Mile 9 - 6.9mph (8:41)
      Mile 10 - 7.0mph (8:34)
      Mile 11 - 7.1mph (8:27)

Mile 11.5 - 7.2mph (8:19)

Stick a fork in me. I'm done. I'm off to shower and take a nap.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

LRB...That actually sounds really reasonable, almost like you know what you're doing!  And I totally applaud you for doing what is going to work for you.  It's not like you're taking the easy way out either as you're still training really hard.  One of the things I like best about this place is that I get to see others doing things are that aren't totally by the book, and it's giving me the confidence to try and mix things up a little myself.

Basya...Killing it on the TM!  I'd be done after that kind of workout too!  Enjoy that nap.  I missed the window for mine...boo.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nope.  I must have clicked it but not stopped it.  The Fenix is weird in that the button is for two things and for stopping the run I have to press it for at least 1-2 seconds so I guess I forgot?  Either way, I calculated my pace based on what I remember when I came by the house instead of what the Garmin says.

Good morning all.  I'm finished with my 18 mile run.  It wasn't easy!  My friend Wendy and I did the first 14, and then I picked up the pace for the last 4 at 7:34, 7:27, 7:32, 7:32.  The miles with her averaged about 8:25.  This afternoon I'm doing a cookout with a few friends to discuss crewing for the Burning River 100 coming up.  The guy whose house we're going to has a lake and I'm looking forward to getting these legs in it!

I put up a RR from yesterday's 5k if you're interested in perusing.

LRB...I should read the comics more often.  Nice work on the 8.  So what is the strategy with your marathon training?  Going about it Hanson style, via Daniels?

Docket...Super job on the 16.  Maybe you got the Garmin stopped right after your Garmin clicked off the last mile, so it was actually giving you the pace of you slowing down to a stop in the next mile?

Dave...Good stuff!  I'm happy that you're back running, as I'm sure you are as well.

BPlus...Good number you're running there today.  Shit's not too real when it's just an easy paced long run, IMO, but once you start throwing other stuff in there they get a little, nay a lot, tricky.

Kristin...BOOM goes the dynamite!  If you haven't seen that clip on you tube, you should watch it, since you're a sports fan you'll get it and it's hysterical.  Congrats on the PR.

Damaris

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

20.2 just cuz!  I did get caught in torrential downpour at mile 9. So much splashing in puddles. I was running on a closed road at that point so I had the who,e thing to myself so I could run down the middle. The road is blocked and everything. I just ignore the signs.  All the pavement is done. They just haven't started building homes back there yet.

close to mile 15 on my way back there was a guy taking pictures of an area where there was dirt sprayed all over the pavement and dug in tire tracks in the grass. He said  this time  a kid died.  How sad!  Some kids around here like to tear up the shoulders. Guess it got way out of hand this time.

Marjorie

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I did an 11.5-mile progression run on the TM in 1:44:21. a not-too-easy, but not-too-comfortable, 9:05 average pace. Splits:

Mile 1 - 6.1mph (9:49)
              Mile 2 - 6.2mph (9:40)
              Mile 3 - 6.3mph (9.31)
              Mile 4 - 6.4mph (9:22)

Mile 5 - 6.5mph (9:13)
              Mile 6 - 6.6mph (9:05)
              Mile 7 - 6.7mph (8:57)
              Mile 8 - 6.8mph (8:49)
              Mile 9 - 6.9mph (8:41)
              Mile 10 - 7.0mph (8:34)
              Mile 11 - 7.1mph (8:27)

Mile 11.5 - 7.2mph (8:19)

Stick a fork in me. I'm done. I'm off to shower and take a nap.

Pffft......a fork?  You earn a crown for doing 1:44 on the TM!!!  My feet start to go numb at about 45 minutes.  Tack an hour onto that and you can call me an ambulance!

SRD for me today.  (I might wash the car but that's about it).   Hard week for me coming back from vacation and will be asking for 10k training advice in a thread here shortly.

Randy

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Basya!

Hi, Randy!

Damaris

SIAR, killing it? Thank you for the compliment. I was mentally asleep the whole time. Progression runs usually leave me with more pep in my step.

Marjorie, terrific 20.2. I hope to reach your fitness level someday.

redrum, make the crown silver or white gold, please. Yellow gold doesn't work with my coloring. Enjoy your well-earned rest day.

My nap isn't happening. A friend called me as I was on my way out of the gym, offering food and his non-alcoholic mojito. I couldn't say noSmile

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

LRB I love to read the Sunday paper but agree it is dying. We don't get it that often anymore.

D who knows?  Garmins can do that. Luckily no riots here.

Dave nice pace!  Looks like you are coming back.

Bplus hope the 18 went well.

Krustin nice PR!

SIAR very nice run. Great pick up on the pace.

RicG have fun in the desert.

Now to page 2

Marjorie

delicate flower

Hello!  Fly-by posting here.....

Finished my duathlon debut!  I packed up and left right after the race to go meet Wife and Oskirama for lunch so I don't have final placement, but I finished 16th out of 40 or 50 in the duathlon.  It took me 2:43, which is right where I wanted to be.  There were 300 or so doing the triathlon.  There was also an Aquabike, which I didn't realize was an actual thing until I signed up for this.  It was hot, humid, and very hilly, and I am gassed.  I done good though.  RR a bit later, as I am sure you're all waiting anxiously.

<3

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Basya nice progressive run. Extra points for doing it on the TM .  Oh you could run what I do since I'm so slow. If you slowed to my paces you'd do it no problem. Smile

redrum have great rest day

nice job Phil

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats, Phil.

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  We get the Sunday paper, but mostly for the coupons.

6.2 done on dead legs.  I was feeling bad about that, but luckily looked back at my log and realized that I just got back to the 6-mile distance like a week ago.  So of course it is still challenging.  Things are actually going really well lately, but of course I'm impatient.

LRB- Good luck with your personalized plan!  Enjoying the training might even be more important than enjoying the race, since it sure lasts longer!

D- Fast finish in the middle of summer!  Rock on!

DaveP- Careful with those twinges!  I spent quite a while running "denial runs" before I got a better handle on my knee.  Did you get a diagnosis?

B+ - Good luck on the 18 miler!

Kristin- Hiya!

SIAR- Congrats on the fast finish for the LR!

Ric- Have a good trip!

Basya- Nice long progression!  Way to finish strong after putting in all those miles!

Marjorie- That's not a closed road, that's a deluxe running path! Very sad to hear about the kid.

Redrum- Enjoy the RD!  I hope you get some good 10K advice.  I saw the thread but don't really have any expertise other than to wish you luck.

Phil- Congratulations on the duathlon!  Firefox thinks that maybe you did a decathlon instead.

LRB

RR a bit later, as I am sure you're all waiting anxiously.

Damn right.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

10K RR is up. Now to get ready for a wedding I am going to tonight!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to